Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 8, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #58,921 of 150,730
May 8, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #58,922 of 150,730
I hoping for a Mjolnir 3 with 6NS7 tubes.

May 8, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #58,923 of 150,730
Maple is supposed to be a better choice for sound but I prefer solid cherry for the looks.

Supposed?

:)

I've heard mesquite is the superior choice for SQ, but that may be the Texan in me talking. Maybe I just like the smoky flavor it adds to my blues. :)

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #58,924 of 150,730
Here in Georgia pecan is my new fave wood. Peach trees are yesterdays wood.

May 8, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #58,925 of 150,730
I hoping for a Mjolnir 3 with 6NS7 tubes.
Mjolnir 3, all solid state (no tube hassles), nexus, continuity if needed, remote volume, pre-amp outs as well as front panel TRS & 4-pin XLR balanced, optimized for Planar HP's (~16 ohm loads), use heatsinks from Jotunheim R if necessary.

May 8, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #58,926 of 150,730
Make it like the Freya, tubes optional? I love my Freya+ tube sound.

May 8, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #58,928 of 150,730
Supposed?

:)
I try to take Cowenisms with a grain of salt. :ksc75smile:

This is wood for my next project, honey locust. Not an easy wood to work with but kind of pretty. honey locust.jpg

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #58,930 of 150,730
I received my HD 6XX phones from Drop yesterday afternoon so I can give them a workout this weekend. Using them while working from home and I'm actually impressed with what the little Fulla 2 can do with these and the whole volume range is usable. Checked them out briefly with the higher output amp briefly but since it is away from my workstation that will have to be explored further this w/e on high gain...Cheers!
'morning, @StevePNW . You're in WA state, no? How are you enjoying your cherry blossoms (grumble grumble). Sorry... it's unseasonably cool here in Southern Ontario. :triportsad: I think you're going to enjoy your HD650 clone. I was obsessed with fancier and more expensive headphones. And eventually, I picked up a pair of hoity toity Ether Cs from MisterSpeakers/DanClarkAudio. Now don't get me wrong: they're a fantastic pair of 'phones (fit and finish and a What-Candian-Funds-price-tag). However, this week, I pulled out my neglected Massdrop (now, Drop) HD6XX and plugged them into my Asgard 2. And they still sound damn fine. That Senheisser sound is unlike my other 'phones. My self-imposed moral: (1) I don't have to spend lots of money to get pleasant sound. And (2) headphone upgrades provide me with more sound quality improvement than chasing the latest and greatest headamp and/or DAC and/or transport/streamer.

May 9, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #58,931 of 150,730
Mjolnir 3, all solid state (no tube hassles), nexus, continuity if needed, remote volume, pre-amp outs as well as front panel TRS & 4-pin XLR balanced, optimized for Planar HP's (~16 ohm loads), use heatsinks from Jotunheim R if necessary.

Ahhhh....tubes and turntables versus solid state and digital. 20 years ago I lived exclusively in the first camp, but of late have become somewhat of a hybrid listening to digital far more than LP's. Is there a chance I'll kick my tube addiction in the future? Well I suppose anything is possible, but I'm guessing that will only occur several years after I'm dead. :) :)

May 9, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #58,932 of 150,730
'morning, @StevePNW . You're in WA state, no? How are you enjoying your cherry blossoms (grumble grumble). Sorry... it's unseasonably cool here in Southern Ontario. :triportsad: I think you're going to enjoy your HD650 clone. I was obsessed with fancier and more expensive headphones. And eventually, I picked up a pair of hoity toity Ether Cs from MisterSpeakers/DanClarkAudio. Now don't get me wrong: they're a fantastic pair of 'phones (fit and finish and a What-Candian-Funds-price-tag). However, this week, I pulled out my neglected Massdrop (now, Drop) HD6XX and plugged them into my Asgard 2. And they still sound damn fine. That Senheisser sound is unlike my other 'phones. My self-imposed moral: (1) I don't have to spend lots of money to get pleasant sound. And (2) headphone upgrades provide me with more sound quality improvement than chasing the latest and greatest headamp and/or DAC and/or transport/streamer.

I picked up a pair of Drop HD-6XX's a couple months ago. While my DCA Aeon 2 C's are much more accomplished overall, the HD-6XX's at their $180 (US) price point get placed in the same mega-bang-for-the-buck category as the Vali 2 to me. Better stuff out there obviously, but the SQ for the dollar ratio is off the charts with both of them.

May 9, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #58,933 of 150,730
I've heard mesquite is the superior choice for SQ, but that may be the Texan in me talking. Maybe I just like the smoky flavor it adds to my blues. :)
I suddenly had a mental image of a mesquite HiFi component experiencing catastrophic thermal failure. And then the smoke alarm going off. And grilled steak. Texas barbecue... (we're lucky to have a ex-TX man set up a BBQ restaurant here in Toronto [Beach Hill Smokehouse]). Strongly recommended (and I urge my peers to support local business, eh). :flag_ca:

May 9, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #58,934 of 150,730
I picked up a pair of Drop HD-6XX's a couple months ago. While my DCA Aeon 2 C's are much more accomplished overall, the HD-6XX's at their $180 (US) price point get placed in the same mega-bang-for-the-buck category as the Vali 2 to me. Better stuff out there obviously, but the SQ for the dollar ratio is off the charts with both of them.
My goal right now is to find HD 800's for a reasonable price, the HD-6xx's are a great deal for their price but I have pushed mine to their limits and I need something high impedance at the next level.

May 9, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #58,935 of 150,730
My goal right now is to find HD 800's for a reasonable price, the HD-6xx's are a great deal for their price but I have pushed mine to their limits and I need something high impedance at the next level.

I need something in a closed version, so have my henchmen scrounging for a deal on these:

1589028180084.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back