Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 6, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #58,862 of 155,124
Ask Mike for more details on the transport, but I think I'm safe in sharing that there's no BWD in it. Unison USB has surpassed that, no need for BWD anymore.

Scratched this off my idea notes / potential forum posts / head:

[ -- bet @baldr has a surprise for us... maybe his digital transport's usb out will tell unison in to light up and accept BWD (his better than i2s protocol) -- and I mean NOT even USB packets first, the microcontroller turns off the USB section and takes in BWD. Also unison on yggy uses a mysterious different internal header connector from gen5. ]

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #58,864 of 155,124
Scratched this off my idea notes / potential forum posts / head:

[ -- bet @baldr has a surprise for us... maybe his digital transport's usb out will tell unison in to light up and accept BWD (his better than i2s protocol) -- and I mean NOT even USB packets first, the microcontroller turns off the USB section and takes in BWD. Also unison on yggy uses a mysterious different internal header connector from gen5. ]

@Jason Stoddard did mention a while back that the unison module's internal connector (RJ11) is for programming the boot loader code on the on-board microcontroller's flash at the board house, and that Schiit themselves programs the actual unison firmware in-house (at a minimum ID strings are different between Bifrost/Gungnir/Yggdrasil). Yggdrasil full build video that someone re-posted recently shows Unison module being programmed via the USB.
GEN 5 used the CMedia CM6331A USB interface chip (or something like that)

May 6, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #58,865 of 155,124
@Jason Stoddard did mention a while back that the unison module's internal connector (RJ11) is for programming the boot loader code on the on-board microcontroller's flash at the board house, and that Schiit themselves programs the actual unison firmware in-house (at a minimum ID strings are different between Bifrost/Gungnir/Yggdrasil). Yggdrasil full build video that someone re-posted recently shows Unison module being programmed via the USB.
GEN 5 used the CMedia CM6331A USB interface chip (or something like that)

added:
@Scott Kramer from my recollection you are a programmer? no? Doesn't USB use a packet or burst type of transmission protocol, with various transfer modes (some mandatory for USB certification, and some other modes optional)? If Unison supports some type of flow control then it can request packets ahead of the ones being sent to the DAC chip, and buffer them, thereby ensuring that data underruns don't occur, even when the source glitches momentarily (e.g damaged areas of the disk requiring re-reads).

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #58,866 of 155,124
May 6, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #58,867 of 155,124
That's certainly a better price than the Olasonic! And just as stylish. This looks like it does have its own internal DAC, unlike the Olasonic, tho.

Now I want something along these same lines, but in silver, and around $200. C'mon, Schiit. You can do it!

Pro-ject S2 only has toslink digital out.

Also, isn't the pro-ject S2 player about $500 (USD) ? realistically, how is Schiit (which likely has similar sales volumes to Pro-ject) going to sell something of quality for half the price? sorry to burst your bubble, if you want $200, just buy a mass-market dvd player with S/PDIF out, or wait a year or two AFTER Schiit releases their transport and wait for a used (possibly damaged) one to hit the for-sale classifieds. :)

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #58,868 of 155,124
Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #58,869 of 155,124
That's certainly a better price than the Olasonic! And just as stylish. This looks like it does have its own internal DAC, unlike the Olasonic, tho.

Now I want something along these same lines, but in silver, and around $200. C'mon, Schiit. You can do it!
Cd drives and power supplies to run them are pretty cheap, as is memory if you want to go that route too. I don't see why it couldn't be done for $200. Or less. A $99 Schitt stack special? I'm gonna need two stacks soon.

May 7, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #58,870 of 155,124

A joke yes?
Good drives are not cheap and good power supplies are not cheap either.

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #58,871 of 155,124
Gotta admit, if I was looking to spend substantial $$$$ to get back into 'physical' media, I'd be going the turntable route...mostly for tactile experience...secondarily for the ability to play some old albums that I might find at an estate sale, half-price-books, etc. Oh, and because 'analog sounds better' :wink:

Still can't talk myself out of the vastly improved (for me) user experience of digital music players (i.e. playlists, shuffle, search box, sort-by-artist/album/genre, etc.)

May 7, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #58,872 of 155,124
Gotta admit, if I was looking to spend substantial $$$$ to get back into 'physical' media, I'd be going the turntable route...mostly for tactile experience...secondarily for the ability to play some old albums that I might find at an estate sale, half-price-books, etc. Oh, and because 'analog sounds better' :wink:

Still can't talk myself out of the vastly improved (for me) user experience of digital music players (i.e. playlists, shuffle, search box, sort-by-artist/album/genre, etc.)

I no longer play music using any 'physical' media, and have also got used to the convenience of a digital music player for both ripped CDs and to stream Qobuz.

If I do get back into 'physical' media, it will be with the Schiit CD transport, not a turntable.

It's mainly to do with $$$$, or in my case ££££.:beyersmile:
My vinyl collection is only about 200 albums and I now own all of these on CD.
New vinyl is a crazy price, and I have my doubts about just how good some of it is, compared with the original pressings.
As for new recordings on vinyl- don't even get me started. Much of it was recorded digitally anyway and then converted to analogue!
Used vinyl is a minefield, because as we all know, vinyl wears out, even if played on a good turntable.
Used CDs, in contrast, can be bought for between £1 and £5, and I have only ever bought one which was faulty and that was replaced immediately.

I think it's great that so many people still love vinyl, but, sadly, there's no going back for me now.

May 7, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #58,874 of 155,124
I am very interested in the transport if it has a pass through option. If not, then no. As for vinyl, I have a nice VPI table which I have not used but twice in 5 years. The Yggy sounds way better.
That was me. I bought a VPI HW years ago to "dip my toe in". I found I didn't use it, so I ended up selling it a few years later.

May 7, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #58,875 of 155,124
I no longer play music using any 'physical' media, and have also got used to the convenience of a digital music player for both ripped CDs and to stream Qobuz.

If I do get back into 'physical' media, it will be with the Schiit CD transport, not a turntable.

It's mainly to do with $$$$, or in my case ££££.:beyersmile:
My vinyl collection is only about 200 albums and I now own all of these on CD.
New vinyl is a crazy price, and I have my doubts about just how good some of it is, compared with the original pressings.
As for new recordings on vinyl- don't even get me started. Much of it was recorded digitally anyway and then converted to analogue!
Used vinyl is a minefield, because as we all know, vinyl wears out, even if played on a good turntable.
Used CDs, in contrast, can be bought for between £1 and £5, and I have only ever bought one which was faulty and that was replaced immediately.

I think it's great that so many people still love vinyl, but, sadly, there's no going back for me now. The ritual of the cleaning and set up of the equipment was fine in my younger years. As my clock counts down I can spend more of my time just listening.

I agree, no going back for me either. Sold all 1100 albums back in 2004, never looked back. When I was younger the ritual of the cleaning and TT setup was satisfying but as my clock counts down I want to spend more of my time listening.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back