Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 2, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #58,741 of 150,607
Hey guys,

Ask Mike for more details on the transport, but I think I'm safe in sharing that there's no BWD in it. Unison USB has surpassed that, no need for BWD anymore.

Don't expect the transport to be super-cheap, if that's what you're looking for, though we're not talking car-like prices (like other transports that use some of our mechanicals cost.)

Do expect it to be a game-changer in what you can expect from a transport.

And do expect it this year.

That's all for now. Best to bug Mike for more, though I wanted to squash some speculation before some very very very old ideas are taken as gospel.

Sorry to be scarce, we're very busy right now. I finished up the Utah stuff last week, and next week we may even have a new product for you. Lots of the stuff we've been doing around here have been ensuring we can continue to operate seamlessly in our new crisis culture (not just sales, but support and service as well). Not only have we done that, we are moving ahead on new products, a couple of which will be announced soon.

All the best,
Jason
Thanks for the info! I dont expect it to be cheap at all :). This year, hmmm, got it hahaha.

May 2, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #58,742 of 150,607
If I remember correctly, the Red Book CD standard mandates cross interleaved Reed-Solomon error correction at the media encoding. Significantly more advanced than a parity bit.

But then again, the last time that I read the Red Book was in 1982. Human memory can be faulty.
Wow. Bifrost 2 into Freya + and then into 2 Aegirs powering Paradigm Studio 40s! Lyr3 into HD6XX. How is it sounding lately?

May 2, 2020 at 10:55 PM Post #58,743 of 150,607
Don't expect the transport to be super-cheap, if that's what you're looking for, though we're not talking car-like prices (like other transports that use some of our mechanicals cost.)
Is it still in the $300-500 range you mentioned before. I know cheap is a relative term but if it is around that price, that is relatively cheap in my opinion. Looking forward to seeing what you guys have coming out!

May 3, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #58,749 of 150,607
What I take away from it is that the transport won't work its special sauce with existing Schiit hardware, or anyone else's hardware. It'll just be another "genero" transport, to quote Mike, with, I assume, genero performance, unless it's hooked up to one of Schiit's not-yet-working-in-32-bit, still-being-redesigned, release-date-unknown new DACs with the special clock bolted onto the back of the processor.

The implications are staggering if you think about it. Every one of Schiit's DACs will need to be redesigned to include a BWD connection (what does BWD stand for, btw?), and every DAC board redesigned with the new clock. There will have to be new decoder boards for the Yggy. New plug-in boards for the Jot etc.
All to support an as-yet unconfirmed transport for obsolete media. (In fairness it sounds like the clock is in the works no matter what.)

The takeaway is simple: unless you are prepared to update your DAC hardware at the same time as you buy Schiit's new transport, don't bother holding out for it. Get something good now, and enjoy.
unison

May 3, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #58,751 of 150,607
Is it still in the $300-500 range you mentioned before. I know cheap is a relative term but if it is around that price, that is relatively cheap in my opinion. Looking forward to seeing what you guys have coming out!

If it’s Gungnir/Mjolnir size or bigger, I’d expect it to be at least Sol priced.

May 3, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #58,753 of 150,607
Hey guys,

Ask Mike for more details on the transport, but I think I'm safe in sharing that there's no BWD in it. Unison USB has surpassed that, no need for BWD anymore.

Do expect it to be a game-changer in what you can expect from a transport.

And do expect it this year.

That's all for now. Best to bug Mike for more, though I wanted to squash some speculation before some very very very old ideas are taken as gospel.

Sorry to be scarce, we're very busy right now. I finished up the Utah stuff last week, and next week we may even have a new product for you. Lots of the stuff we've been doing around here have been ensuring we can continue to operate seamlessly in our new crisis culture (not just sales, but support and service as well). Not only have we done that, we are moving ahead on new products, a couple of which will be announced soon.

All the best,
Jason

Thanks for the update Jason.
Mike must be very happy with the performance of Unison USB to ditch BWD!
My Yggy A2 would have required updating to add a BWD input, so instead, I'll simply need the Unison USB upgrade which is already available.
Sounds like good news to me.
I have never used USB for audio before but I trust Schiit to get it right and the many posters here on Head-Fi who really like Unison, are testament to its design excellence.
I'm certainly prepared to give it a go, and will hold off buying a transport from another manufacturer.

May 3, 2020 at 7:32 AM Post #58,754 of 150,607
Thanks Jason. Lookin' forward to..... by the way, what will the CD spinner it be named?

May 3, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #58,755 of 150,607
What I take away from it is that the transport won't work its special sauce with existing Schiit hardware, or anyone else's hardware. It'll just be another "genero" transport, to quote Mike, with, I assume, genero performance, unless it's hooked up to one of Schiit's not-yet-working-in-32-bit, still-being-redesigned, release-date-unknown new DACs with the special clock bolted onto the back of the processor.

The implications are staggering if you think about it. Every one of Schiit's DACs will need to be redesigned to include a BWD connection (what does BWD stand for, btw?), and every DAC board redesigned with the new clock. There will have to be new decoder boards for the Yggy. New plug-in boards for the Jot etc.
All to support an as-yet unconfirmed transport for obsolete media. (In fairness it sounds like the clock is in the works no matter what.)

The takeaway is simple: unless you are prepared to update your DAC hardware at the same time as you buy Schiit's new transport, don't bother holding out for it. Get something good now, and enjoy.

BWD stands for Bit Clock Word Clock and Data, which Mike described (in post # 4,073 of 10 Aug 2017) as '..... the irreducible minimum of digital audio signals'.
He also said it that BWD is '.....waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than SPDIF..'
it seems that with the development of Unison USB, a BWD connection between transport and DAC is no longer necessary.
The inference is that Unison USB is also way better than S/PDIF :beyersmile:
I look forward to hearing more about Schitt's new transport and will hold off purchasing one from another manufacturer.....for now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back