Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 21, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #58,471 of 150,324
I have ordered the Peter Wispelwey version.
The album is not on Qobuz :dt880smile:
Interesting, because it is on Qobuz USA.
https://open.qobuz.com/album/0723385122982
Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 2.05.42 PM.png

A recording that I especially like is by Thomas Demenga on ECM. His playing style is fresh and spontaneous.
https://open.qobuz.com/album/0002894813197
0002894813197_600.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #58,472 of 150,324
Hmmm.

I just looked in my iTunes collection.

I seem to have several versions of Bach's Cello Suites.

Boris Pergamenschikow

index.jpg

Mstilav Rostropovich

index2.jpg

Jacqueline du Pre

51LopNI-t4L._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

An earlier Pieter Wispelwey

index3.jpg

As well as the aforementioned Yo Yo Ma and Pablo Casals.

I'm thinking I don't have enough versions of the work...

Apr 21, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #58,473 of 150,324
Coming from a pro audio and hifi background (new to headfi), I would like to assist on this question.

This wouldn't really be bi-amping, it would be more akin to bi-wiring, still. Bi-amping would require entirely separate power outputs, which can't be offered through a single integrated amp.

Another item to note is whether your integrated has an A+B option and not just an A and B selector. Most have A+B, but some don't; if the Cambridge doesn't, then this entirely couldn't work. If it does have A+B, then you could do it, but as stated above, it would just be a 50/50 split in wattage between the two channels on the same power output as opposed to biamping.

I have an Emotiva UPA-700 7-channel x 75W power amp. Before I went back to the simplicity of a single stereo amp, I used to run my Totem Mani-2s using 4 of the 7 channels, two for treble and two for bass.

But it was a very different setup, I suspect. There were 7 discrete power amp modules, not two modules shared between A and B speakers.

Unless the Cambridge has four actual separate power channels I don't see there being any advantage to bi-amping with it. Bi-wiring, maybe.

OTOH if you happened to have another stereo amp kicking around, then you could use the Cambridge for the highs and the other amp for the bass. However, getting a matched output is tricky unless you have identical units - I didn't have to worry about that with the Emotiva/Totem setup, since all channels were similar power and similar voice.

Apr 21, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #58,474 of 150,324
As a Bass player, I can also recommend Edgar Meyer’s versions for the Cello suites- of course if you’d like to dive further down the rabbit hole!

I'm think I'm becoming a Bach Solo Cello Suites addict. Thanks to your rec, I'm adding yet another version to my collection. I'm becoming one of those people - "Do you really need 5 different copies of the same thing?" - "Yep".

Apr 21, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #58,478 of 150,324
As a Bass player, I can also recommend Edgar Meyer’s versions for the Cello suites- of course if you’d like to dive further down the rabbit hole!
Going in the other direction, Kim Kashkashian plays them on viola.

vrplxjdecluga_600.jpg

BTW, Wikipedia felt it was necessary to include this note in her listing. :dt880smile:

Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 4.35.45 PM.png

Apr 21, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #58,480 of 150,324
I have ordered the Peter Wispelwey version.
Interesting video. Thanks Audio Philestine.
No tubes here! I run Logitech Transporter => Yggdrasil A2 ( using BNC input) =>ATC SCM 100ASL loudspeakers ( using balanced outputs from Yggy)
When the CD arrives, and has been ripped, I'll let you know how it sounds.
The album is not on Qobuz :dt880smile:
how do you do monitor control?

i love the album, you can hear him
and his cello (no he does not sing) Beautiful intimate recording;
my guess is you’ll like it too.

edit: Peter Wispelwey did i believe six albums/recordings of the JSB solo cello suites . I meant the one he walks on a dyke.

http://www.pieterwispelwey.com/discography/

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #58,481 of 150,324
2020 has been the year of the audio upgrade

started off buying a pair of Shure 846 IEMs and a Dragonfly Cobalt for Christmas

to now buying a Schilt Jotihiem and Beyer T1.... almost tempted to buy the Bifrost to connect with my TV/AV receiver now....hopefully this doesn't snowball into getting into Stax gear...or that SR1a headphone I've read about

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #58,482 of 150,324
Probably nothing that size with balanced outputs. A B-stock Jotunheim is $349. $449 if you include a DAC card. Can recommend it as being great for pretty much any headphone, and works well with my HS5 monitors as a preamp as well. My only wish is that you could switch between HP and preout rather than all on all the time. But adding that would likely add cost.
On second thought, a good sounding device that is (was) around that price range is the Pono. Has balanced out via 2 3.5 mm connectors, is pretty small, and with 3.5 mm to XLR or 1/4 phono plugs, depending on what your monitors have, you could use it as a transport and a preamp with monitors.
Still my favorite portable player and favorite non-schiit thing in my collection of gear. So much so, that I actually ordered a Codex a couple days ago. That's a bit more than the $400 price range though.

Apr 22, 2020 at 12:05 AM Post #58,483 of 150,324
I suppose, if you can't pick a favorite, you should still chime in and say which Schiit you prefer to listen to each version with.
Tough choice, but my current favorite Bach cello suites are the Thomas Demenga ECM recording.

Apr 22, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #58,484 of 150,324
Off topic: Crutchfield had a pair of Klipsch Cornwall III Special Edition b-stocks for cheap I just purchased. I’ve never had bi-amp capable speakers before. I run Gungnir XLR to Freya XLR to a Cambridge CXA80 which has two sets of speaker outs. Since I imagine the woofer is more demanding than the tweeter/mid is bi-amping off the same integrated amp advisable or wonky? Eventually, I’d like to try Aegir mono’s but that will have to wait.

The Cornwall is so easy to drive I wouldn't even bother with bi amping. I've hears a lot of Cornwalls over the decades and running 3-4w continuous with 10w peaks will be LOUD. A single Aegir is all you'll ever need.

Apr 22, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #58,485 of 150,324
Hmmm.

I just looked in my iTunes collection.

I seem to have several versions of Bach's Cello Suites.

Boris Pergamenschikow

index.jpg

Mstilav Rostropovich

index2.jpg

Jacqueline du Pre

51LopNI-t4L._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

An earlier Pieter Wispelwey

index3.jpg

As well as the aforementioned Yo Yo Ma and Pablo Casals.

I'm thinking I don't have enough versions of the work...

It's nice to know someone has it worse than I do. Thank you. :)

although I am catching up quickly thanks to many of the recommendations on here lately...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back