Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 21, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #58,456 of 150,613
wife.jpg

Apr 21, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #58,457 of 150,613
I'm just one of the unwashed masses, and no expert, but here goes.

I started with the Pablo Casals version after remembering an NPR story comparing Robert Johnson's famous blues album to Casal's Cello suites (recorded at Abbey Road). Both were apparently recorded on the same day. Quite a day for music.

The Casals version is notable (I believe) for being the first to popularize the suites. I find it a bit sterile/clinical, but you have to respect the OG. Also a bit of a trip down memory lane with tape hiss.

The Yo-Yo Ma version I find to be much more emotional and expressive. Heck, I'm man enough to admit that in the right mood, it can (almost) make me cry.

I am not familiar with the Starkos version you mention.

I've got the Wispelwey version on order, so I haven't listened to anything other than some of the sound bites on the Amazon page. One of the amazon reviews says it is hushed and organic, with no vibrato, almost meditative, and close mic'd to the point of hearing his fingering/fretwork. From my sampling of the sound bites, I can see this.

FWIW, there's a Vox Earworm video I highly recommend, breaking down the Suite No. 1 Prelude ("that cello song")

As far as which schiit gear.... put a tube in their for the Cello. My favorite is the Bifrost (OG) multibit into a vali2/stock tube, but I'm sure others have better Schiit tubes for this.

EDIT: I had to go and find a copy of the Starker version now, too. You guys are a bad influence on me :wink:

I have ordered the Peter Wispelwey version.
Interesting video. Thanks Audio Philestine.
No tubes here! I run Logitech Transporter => Yggdrasil A2 ( using BNC input) =>ATC SCM 100ASL loudspeakers ( using balanced outputs from Yggy)
When the CD arrives, and has been ripped, I'll let you know how it sounds.
The album is not on Qobuz :dt880smile:

Apr 21, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #58,458 of 150,613
Thanks again Steve PNW.
At the risk of opening a can of worms, how do you find CD playback on the Audiolab 6000CDT compares with streaming?
I ask, as I currently have no CD transport. I use Qobuz at 16/44.1 for most of my listening, but Mike Moffat has always maintained that CD remains the best way to replay digital, provided of course, that the Transport and DAC are engineered right!
The Yggy A2 is a fantastic DAC and I have no doubt the Schiit CDT will be brilliantly engineered too...
Good question. In my experience in my set up I find streaming FLAC quality files and a good CD sound very comparable and I don't think I am able to describe any significant differences Listening to Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue; A Taste of Honey, sounds excellent either way. I do like to see and handle the CDs occasionally just as people like to do with LPs, liner notes, recording studio, etc. I look forward to listen to Mike's transport connected to a Unison USB DAC one day!

Apr 21, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #58,459 of 150,613
I'm just one of the unwashed masses, and no expert, but here goes.

I started with the Pablo Casals version after remembering an NPR story comparing Robert Johnson's famous blues album to Casal's Cello suites (recorded at Abbey Road). Both were apparently recorded on the same day. Quite a day for music.

The Casals version is notable (I believe) for being the first to popularize the suites. I find it a bit sterile/clinical, but you have to respect the OG. Also a bit of a trip down memory lane with tape hiss.

The Yo-Yo Ma version I find to be much more emotional and expressive. Heck, I'm man enough to admit that in the right mood, it can (almost) make me cry.

I am not familiar with the Starkos version you mention.

I've got the Wispelwey version on order, so I haven't listened to anything other than some of the sound bites on the Amazon page. One of the amazon reviews says it is hushed and organic, with no vibrato, almost meditative, and close mic'd to the point of hearing his fingering/fretwork. From my sampling of the sound bites, I can see this.

FWIW, there's a Vox Earworm video I highly recommend, breaking down the Suite No. 1 Prelude ("that cello song")

As far as which schiit gear.... put a tube in their for the Cello. My favorite is the Bifrost (OG) multibit into a vali2/stock tube, but I'm sure others have better Schiit tubes for this.

EDIT: I had to go and find a copy of the Starker version now, too. You guys are a bad influence on me :wink:

Ah, but which Yo Yo Ma version? He has recorded it a couple times now. Also, he was on the podcast Song Exploder where musicians talk about a song on some recent album. He talks about the Cello suites, and might be worth a listen if you like him or the cello suites.

http://songexploder.net/yo-yo-ma

I have a copy of the Casals version. A friend and her dad both play cello, and he is a music teacher so he had a 1970 vinyl reissue of the Casals recordings. He let me borrow them and I copied them to reel to reel (7.5 ips). I should put them on again.

Apr 21, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #58,460 of 150,613
Ah, but which Yo Yo Ma version? He has recorded it a couple times now.

This one [EDIT: I think this is the 1983], but I haven't done any comparison to other versions:
71w88pdiKvL._SX425_.jpg

Also, he was on the podcast Song Exploder where musicians talk about a song on some recent album. He talks about the Cello suites, and might be worth a listen if you like him or the cello suites.

http://songexploder.net/yo-yo-ma

I'll be sure to check that out.

I think I've run across some of his small desk [EDIT: tiny desk, as linked below by judson_w] performances, and have seen bits of a video on the news that he released post-covid. I'm still impressed by his ability to play emotionally. I admit to not taking him seriously in my youth, for no good reason other than my immaturity, but I've become a convert in recent years.

Wow, what odd turn of events led to me discussing cello music on an online forum?

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #58,461 of 150,613
I think I've run across some of his small desk (?) performances, and have seen bits of a video on the news that he released post-covid. I'm still impressed by his ability to play emotionally. I admit to not taking him seriously in my youth, for no good reason other than my immaturity, but I've become a convert in recent years.

Wow, what odd turn of events led to me discussing cello music on an online forum?

Haha, strange twist indeed. I was introduced to him early but also did not really appreciate this stuff. I should revisit more. And I am getting the performances you are referring to are the Tiny Desk Concerts put on by NPR? Not sure if he has done multiple, so maybe you are referring to something else. If so, here is the youtube link:

Getting back on Schitt topic, the friend who sold me his integrated tube amp has started putting together a listening room in his new house. He messaged me saying he was thinking of either getting a Schiit DAC or a DIY thing. When the stay at home order passes and we both feel comfortable with how things are going, I am going to bring my Fulla 2 and Modi Multibit over for auditions (last time I was over, he was using a laptop's USB out I believe) so we can test them out on his system.

Apr 21, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #58,462 of 150,613
Haha, strange twist indeed. I was introduced to him early but also did not really appreciate this stuff. I should revisit more. And I am getting the performances you are referring to are the Tiny Desk Concerts put on by NPR? Not sure if he has done multiple, so maybe you are referring to something else. If so, here is the youtube link:

That looks like the one I was thinking about. I don't know if there is more than one or not.

EDIT: Just to keep anyone from thinking I actually know anything at all about cello music, I'd better revive this video to help re-center my reputation:

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #58,464 of 150,613
Any chance of a Fulla type device with balanced outputs for pc monitors? Or some kind of balanced preamp that is less than $400 but sounds like Schiit?
Probably nothing that size with balanced outputs. A B-stock Jotunheim is $349. $449 if you include a DAC card. Can recommend it as being great for pretty much any headphone, and works well with my HS5 monitors as a preamp as well. My only wish is that you could switch between HP and preout rather than all on all the time. But adding that would likely add cost.

Apr 21, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #58,465 of 150,613
OK, so how does the Pieter Wispelwey recording compare to the classic Janos Starkos Mercury recording? I guess we can keep things J. Gordon Holt simple: why do you prefer the performance you prefer, and what is outstanding about the recording you prefer? I like to listen to these to remind myself the range a cello is capable of.

The Janos Starkos is a classic, but I find it a bit stodgy. I think each generation will have their own version of the Bach Cello Suites - mine is the Yo Yo Ma version. It's a bit more sprightly.

I picked up volume one on vinyl, but it was released just at the point of the digital divide: volume two never came out on vinyl. I eventually picked up both volumes on CD. I love his version.

Thanks for the heads up about the Wispelwey version. I'll have to pick it up.

Apr 21, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #58,467 of 150,613
Off topic: Crutchfield had a pair of Klipsch Cornwall III Special Edition b-stocks for cheap I just purchased. I’ve never had bi-amp capable speakers before. I run Gungnir XLR to Freya XLR to a Cambridge CXA80 which has two sets of speaker outs. Since I imagine the woofer is more demanding than the tweeter/mid is bi-amping off the same integrated amp advisable or wonky? Eventually, I’d like to try Aegir mono’s but that will have to wait.

Apr 21, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #58,468 of 150,613
Off topic: Crutchfield had a pair of Klipsch Cornwall III Special Edition b-stocks for cheap I just purchased. I’ve never had bi-amp capable speakers before. I run Gungnir XLR to Freya XLR to a Cambridge CXA80 which has two sets of speaker outs.

Only bi-wire at the amp if it supports it. It looks like your integrated has A and B terminals to support two zones. That is different than bi-amp configuration. You can still use a bi-wire cable (single on one side and bi on the other). That is my understanding at least.

Edit: oh, and super congrats on the Cornwall's. Fun stuff indeed.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #58,469 of 150,613
The Janos Starkos is a classic, but I find it a bit stodgy. I think each generation will have their own version of the Bach Cello Suites - mine is the Yo Yo Ma version. It's a bit more sprightly.

I picked up volume one on vinyl, but it was released just at the point of the digital divide: volume two never came out on vinyl. I eventually picked up both volumes on CD. I love his version.

Thanks for the heads up about the Wispelwey version. I'll have to pick it up.

I find the Janos Starker Bach cellos suites for RCA to be a darker pensive interpretation. The recording did win him a Grammy. For a more standard interpretation, I like the Wynona Zelenka recording.

Apr 21, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #58,470 of 150,613
Off topic: Crutchfield had a pair of Klipsch Cornwall III Special Edition b-stocks for cheap I just purchased. I’ve never had bi-amp capable speakers before. I run Gungnir XLR to Freya XLR to a Cambridge CXA80 which has two sets of speaker outs. Since I imagine the woofer is more demanding than the tweeter/mid is bi-amping off the same integrated amp advisable or wonky? Eventually, I’d like to try Aegir mono’s but that will have to wait.

Coming from a pro audio and hifi background (new to headfi), I would like to assist on this question.

This wouldn't really be bi-amping, it would be more akin to bi-wiring, still. Bi-amping would require entirely separate power outputs, which can't be offered through a single integrated amp.

Another item to note is whether your integrated has an A+B option and not just an A and B selector. Most have A+B, but some don't; if the Cambridge doesn't, then this entirely couldn't work. If it does have A+B, then you could do it, but as stated above, it would just be a 50/50 split in wattage between the two channels on the same power output as opposed to biamping.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back