Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 4, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #57,241 of 155,076
Quoting on the iPhone doesn’t work at all. I end up having to hit Reply then manually delete the extraneous stuff - very tedious on a phone, especially with longer posts.
Works flawless on Android phone OnePlus. Just select the text by long press on the message text. Selector reply or quote pops up.

PSX_20200304_214115.jpg

Mar 4, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #57,243 of 155,076
...while powered off. :smirk:

Mar 4, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #57,244 of 155,076
...while powered off. :smirk:
As long as you give them plenty of time to warm up first though, of course. Otherwise you won't get the full powered-off richness of sound. :wink:

Mar 4, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #57,245 of 155,076
Just resurrected my cute lil' Schiit stack + DT 770 Pro 250 ohm headphones for the first time in over a year, after moving offices at work. I forgot how enjoyable this setup is (especially with Loki in the chain), even compared to my Audeze LCD-3 + Gungnir MB + Asgard 2 at home!

Attachments

• IMG_3928.jpeg
    IMG_3928.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Mar 4, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #57,247 of 155,076
Damn you, Tim Cook!! Steve Jobs would have had this fixed by now!! :unamused:

Mar 4, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #57,249 of 155,076
Quote does nothing
It works fine.

Notice that the button is actually "+ Quote", and it's for quoting multiple posts at once or adding a quote to a post you've already started writing. I think in the old forum it might have been labeled "Multi-Quote". It's a toggle button to select posts (you can select more than one). Select the posts you want using "+ Quote", then hit reply and it will ask you to verify the ones you want to add. If you already began writing a post and click on "+ Quote", you should see a "Insert quotes" button appear.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #57,250 of 155,076
We expect Sol to be ready for sale on 3/16. Photos will stay the same, they are close enough. We are editing the new videos and manual, though.

The option to buy additional arms will be available when we have ramped up production. Or if you contact us and ask in the meantime.

Contact info@schiit.com and ask.

I remember wow------ they used The Cure Disintegration.

Mar 4, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #57,251 of 155,076
2020, Chapter 4:
The Corona Effect

Okay.

Time to get serious.

Hopefully without being a bit too alarmist. Because Mike, like Rina’s tortoise Volga, will probably re-emerge and proclaim me as being too paranoid.

Aside: serious about the tortoise. It disappeared about 5 months ago. We thought it got out of the side yard (and we seriously looked for it, in an area of less than 400 square feet of yard). It was gone. I mean, GONE. It was so gone, I bought Rina a “three pack” of Russian tortoises for Christmas to replace it. So fast forward a couple of months, the three-pack is doing fine, and Rina sends me a photo one day saying, “Look who showed up.” Yep. Volga. Sitting on the side porch big as a house (compared to the three pack), looking vaguely annoyed at the new company she just ended up with. Why did she show up? No clue. She wasn’t hibernating (never did it in a decade). Maybe because we put some of her favorite food out for the three-pack? I don’t know. No big deal. They’re tortoises. Kinda like walking pocket calculators. It’s cool.

Anyway, back to what’s going on. I’m sure you’re all aware of COVID-19, and its march across the international landscape. And now Los Angeles County is now in a state of emergency over the coronavirus. So I thought it would be smart to catch you up on what’s going on with us.

So, TL; DR, don’t have time for all my blather:
  1. We’re taking precautions to make sure you, Schiit employees, and their families are safe.
  2. Because of this, you will see less of us in the coming months. Trade shows are cancelled, Schiitrmeets are toast, and the 10th Anniversary SchiitShow will be pushed out to later in the year, assuming we are not all zombies/Immortan Joe slaves by then.
  3. Coronavirus has not affected our supply chain. This shouldn’t be surprising, since we make stuff in the USA and most of our parts are made by US-based companies manufacturing in the USA. The few parts we get from China (wall-warts, some switches, remote controls, prototype PCBs) appear to be from companies that are back up and running.
Okay. No need to read further, unless you want the gory details.

Also, let me reiterate: this whole situation may be overblown, but we figured it would be better to be paranoid and safe, rather than complacent and sick. Feel free to tell me I’m crazy (in either direction) in the comments after this chapter.

Let’s Talk Precautions

First of all, let me say this: I don’t want to blow this out of proportion. But I do think it’s worth going over what we’re doing to keep you, Schiit employees, and their families safe, as the COVID-19 situation percolates through the world.

1. We’ve always been about keeping you safe. This includes stuff we’ve always done, such as manufacturing in the USA with a small, close-knit, well-paid employee team, using local subcontractors (our PCBs, transformers, and chassis are all made in California or Nevada), and instrumented testing, burn-in, and wipedown with ethanol-based antiseptic cleaner before packing and shipping (yes, we have always done this).
  2. But we’re doing even more more now:
    • Alex has added additional sanitation (wipedown of desks and production equipment every day)
    • Similarly, Alex and Tyler have actively encouraged employees to self-monitor and stay home if feeling ill, or to simply take time off if they are high-risk.
    • I have decided to place a hold on non-essential business travel and meetings, following the example of Amazon, Twitter, and others. This includes vendor meetings at Schiit.
    • After conferring with Eddie and Tyler, I have decided that the Schiitr will remain open with additional sanitation, but if necessary, we will close that as well.
Sounds a little paranoid? Maybe. But why take the chance?

Let’s Talk Ramifications

The biggest thing is that you won’t be seeing us at shows. AXPONA, nope, LA, not likely (unless this has blown over by then), Schiitrmeets on hold, 10th Anniversary stuff will happen later in the year assuming everything is sorted.

Yes, this is a huge disappointment. I wanted to go to AXPONA. I was looking forward to next week’s Schiitrmeet. But it’s simply not responsible to attend AXPONA, nor make an appearance at the Schiitrmeets at this time. I believe that the well-being of you, my employees, and my business partner takes precedence. We have high-risk individuals at Schiit, and I don’t want to see anyone ill.

Aside: this includes me. Although I am super-healthy, I exercise, have great A1C and inflammation, I did undergo cardiac ablation to eliminate AFIB. I don’t want to test that 10.5% mortality rate in patients with history of cardiovascular disease and see if it applies to me.

I hope everything is sorted (or sorted well enough) by LA, but we’ll see. Hopefully we can re-start the Schiitrmeets soon. Hopefully we can have a 10th anniversary SchiitShow to end all SchiitShows. Hopefully y’all will be laughing at me in a couple of months, when it’s all revealed this ain’t no big deal at all.

Some things where there are pretty much no ramifications (at least yet): production and product development.

Let’s Talk Products, Current and Upcoming

First of all, let’s get this out of the way: we haven’t suffered from any setbacks in current production, and we had only a blip in product development.

As I’ve mentioned, and as it states on our site, the vast majority of content in our products is from US companies manufacturing in the USA. Specifically, chassis, PC boards, transformers (except wall-warts), and packaging is all USA. The only reason we can’t claim “Made in USA” rather than “Assembled in USA” is because literally every resistor on the board would have to be made in USA for us to do so.

So, because we have a predominantly US-based supply chain, (and since we tend to hold high inventory), we haven’t been affected as much. That isn’t to say we’re 100% safe, but it does provide a bit of a buffer if things go sideways.

Now, when this started going down, I got a bit worried. Our prototype PCBs are done in China (mainly because they’re inexpensive and fast). They went offline, effectively, for about a month. That slowed a couple of things down. It also caused more than a bit of concern, because, if, say, our wall-warts (also made in China for economic reasons), that would suck pretty bad. It wouldn’t kill us, but it would definitely have an impact.

But, in the last two weeks, we have been contacted by our Chinese suppliers, and they have said, “We’re back up and running, we’re fast, and we’re excited for your orders.”

And that’s a good thing, because I wouldn’t want our wall-warts disappearing overnight.

Aside: and yet, at the same time, it’s time for us to look at other options. Just in case. Yes, I’m a bit paranoid. See above.

Wrapping Up

So where are we? Let’s try to ramp down the fear a bit.

Here’s the thing: I really hope this is a giant nothingburger. I’m happy to see that China is back up and running. I’m hoping the impact in other countries is manageable (or, even better, no worse than the seasonal flu). I’d be thrilled to see an overall, long-term positive impact on health, as people realize they have to take care of themselves so they aren’t as vulnerable to diseases like this.

But in the meantime, we’re playing it safe.

Wishing you continued health,

Jason
and the entire Schiit Crew

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 5, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #57,253 of 155,076
I think people should do what they think is best as long as it doesn't impinge on others, but this Coronavirus stuff is being blown out of proportion by the media (it's what they do). Worldwide fewer people have died from it than have died in the US from the flu just during this flu season.

It's the latest SARS, Swine Flu, Legionnaires, etc. It's kind of sad but not unexpected that so many people are doing things like buying as many Lysol disinfectant sheet containers as they can, or buying cases and cases of bottled water, "just in case." I live in the state with the most Coronavirus related deaths but what the media isn't telling you is most of them were elderly and lived in a convalescent home. There has been at least one worker from that same facility that has died too.

Mar 5, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #57,254 of 155,076
Smart move, what with all that‘s going on. Not exactly a “novel“ approach (let the groans begin). People are a panicky bunch, especially when that herd effect takes hold, and this seems a measured, sensible step. Be smart and be well, y’all.

I’m gonna grab a pint of Boddington’s and cue up some Debussy this evening. Lyr and I both like it a lot. Suite Bergamasque, Rogé at the piano.

Cheers!

Mar 5, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #57,255 of 155,076
On my iPhone I can select the text, and the same “Quote | Reply” popup appears, but clicking on Quote does nothing.
Ah, then I think it is just a matter of understanding how this feature works. When you click on Quote it puts the selected text on a clipboard for later use. So yeah visualy nothing happens.
After you have selected text and tapped Quote on one or more places you go to the end of the threat to new reply. When you tap in the text field there is an extra button below the text field reading "Insert quotes ...."
Tapping that button gives you a listing of what quotes you have added to the clip board. Select the desired quote and it will be inserted in the message.
You can repeat this as often as there are unused quotes on the clipboard. The button disappears / is not visible when all copied quotes are used or no quotes were put on the clipboard in the first place.
Don't know if there is a limit to the number of quotes that can be on the clipboard. Hope that helps.

PSX_20200305_094707.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back