Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 5, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #56,641 of 151,020
My Unison USB card came today. I'll be installing it sometime over the next several days. I have not had my Yggdrasil apart, but with the build video it doesn't look like too bad of a job.
@Rensek mentioned using painters tape for screw length and to hold the source button in place. I'm curious what's up with the button. Does it tend to back out or something?
Also I see there is an RJ-11 type connector on the new board. Nothing to connect to it I assume. Is it a programming port?
There are different size screws. I just put them in separate cups as I went. That way I didn't forget one or miss one. Somebody posted a link that had step by step instructions with pictures earlier. Install for Gen 5 but same steps. Worked perfect. 20 minutes from start to finish.

Feb 5, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #56,642 of 151,020
There are different size screws. I just put them in separate cups as I went. That way I didn't forget one or miss one. Somebody posted a link that had step by step instructions with pictures earlier. Install for Gen 5 but same steps. Worked perfect. 20 minutes from start to finish.
Interesting. All mine were the same - the case screws that is. Or if there were differences they were too small to be meaningful. The black screws on the back are different sizes...

Feb 5, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #56,644 of 151,020
3 different screws
- Chrome for all the cabinet
- Small black for all audio connections
- Large black for power socket
You can't mix them up. All chrome screws are recessed, all blacks are not.
PLUS don't forget to unscrew the nut on the BNC connector :ksc75smile: before removing the inner cabinet.

Feb 5, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #56,646 of 151,020
3 different screws
- Chrome for all the cabinet
- Small black for all audio connections
- Large black for power socket
You can't mix them up. All chrome screws are recessed, all blacks are not.
PLUS don't forget to unscrew the nut on the BNC connector :ksc75smile: before removing the inner cabinet.

Plus those pesky screws to secure the Unison card, which, if I recall are the same as the cabinet screws.

Feb 5, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #56,647 of 151,020
Those 4-40 screws are easy to strip and the way to make sure you don't strip out any threads is to back screw them into their holes to find the original threads to seat them, then screw them down.

And don't tighten ANY screw down all the way, until ALL of them are seated, then tighten them all down as a last step.

Trust me, the last thing you want to do is strip out tiny 4-40 screws into aluminum threads…

JJ

Feb 5, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #56,649 of 151,020
You guys are making this out to be much bigger than it is. Undo the screws, putting them in some masking tape and taping the end to the piece they screw into. Take a pic of plugs. Undo plugs. Repeat in reverse.

If all else fails, use brute force and reckless abandon :dt880smile:
I kid, don't do that.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #56,650 of 151,020
I ran into one screw that really did not want to come out. One hand applying pressure and the the other one twisting and it then cooperated. Other than that it was a breeze.

Feb 5, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #56,651 of 151,020
Trust me, the last thing you want to do is strip out tiny 4-40 screws into aluminum threads…

JJ

Stripping and screwing top the list of things I want to do.

(ugh...sorry)

Feb 5, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #56,652 of 151,020
I am on the fence as to whether I should install unison myself (with some help from my brother) or ship the dac in and let Schiit do all the work. All this screw talk is making me nervous lol.
As Dirty Harry sez, "A mans gotta know his limitations"…
However if the goal is to push your limits (do things for the first time and be willing to deal with 'mistakes') this is a relatively benign task.

Hints for those 'adventurous' enough to want to try this, but have little to no experience with hand tools and small parts that hold big heavy gear together.
Use a NEW #1 phillips screw driver.
This is important…! DO NOT USE that old worn out and hammered phillips screwdriver in the 'tools' drawer', get a NEW #1 phillips screwdriver.
Make sure the screwdriver tip is fully seated in the heads of the screws BEFORE you apply any torque (twisting force).
If the screw won't budge at first, STOP, and get a good grip on the handle, make sure the shaft of the screwdriver is going straight into the screw, push in with enough force so that the tip won't 'climb out' of the screw body and THEN slowly and carefully apply torque.
This should get the screw out without any damage to the head of the screw (getting buggered up).
If this doesn't work STOP and give the situation a moment to settle down, and try again but use a short sudden twist of torq, but DON'T let the screwdriver 'climb out' of the screw…

There are additional steps for the stubborn screws, but this should cover 99%+ of the common problems.

JJ

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #56,653 of 151,020
Stripping and screwing top the list of things I want to do.

(ugh...sorry)
Ok so now that, that image has been etched into my mind… hahahahaha
Where is the eye bleach when you can't see well enough to look for it? hahahahahahahahaha

JJ :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #56,654 of 151,020

Don't underestimate the entertainment value of buying new tools (#6 tap and new screws) and adding to your DIY project: retapping the holes and replacing the factory screws with shiny, new, out-of-spec screws which will really aggravate Jason & Co. if you ever send your unit in for factory service.

Feb 6, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #56,655 of 151,020
Don't underestimate the entertainment value of buying new tools (#6 tap and new screws) and adding to your DIY project: retapping the holes and replacing the factory screws with shiny, new, out-of-spec screws which will really aggravate Jason & Co. if you ever send your unit in for factory service.
Not to mention getting all of those pesky and conductive metal filings from rethreading lodged between IC legs and wedged into transformer windings. FUN times!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back