Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 4, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #56,611 of 153,406
Yeah, it was a full screen for about 10 minutes and then back to gray bar on each side. It was cool while it lasted. :D

Perhaps you should get a phone with a smaller screen? That one has to be difficult fitting in your pocket protector. :relaxed:

Feb 4, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #56,612 of 153,406
Perhaps you should get a phone with a smaller screen? That one has to be difficult fitting in your pocket protector. :relaxed:
My phone gets its own pocket protector so as not to crowd my calculator. When going retro, my slide rule stays in a sheath on my belt, of course.

Feb 4, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #56,613 of 153,406
I'm very curious to know the answer to this question.
Will Volumio (or any other player) on a Raspberry Pi be able to play at class 2 audio with Unison USB?
Does the OS recognise the USB DAC and will it support it correctly? Anyone any experience?

Feb 4, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #56,614 of 153,406
Will Volumio (or any other player) on a Raspberry Pi be able to play at class 2 audio with Unison USB?
Does the OS recognise the USB DAC and will it support it correctly? Anyone any experience?
It should work out of the box(as long as it has a newer kernel version above 2.6, the current one for volumio is 4.9.65)

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #56,615 of 153,406
It recognizes it and plays over it at my home, however how would I know if it's recognizing it properly?

It sounds good, and sounds better when playing from Volumio on Raspberry Pi -> USB Unison in Bifrost 2 -> Ragnarok 2, then when playing same music via Sonos -> Coax S/PDif ->Same Bifrost 2 -> Ragnarok 2.

Beyond that, I never checked deeper how properly it recognizes the Unison USB!

Feb 4, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #56,616 of 153,406
It recognizes it and plays over it at my home, however how would I know if it's recognizing it properly?
It sounds good, and sounds better when playing from Volumio on Raspberry Pi -> USB Unison in Bifrost 2 -> Ragnarok 2, then when playing same music via Sonos -> Coax S/PDif ->Same Bifrost 2 -> Ragnarok 2.
Beyond that, I never checked deeper how properly it recognizes the Unison USB!
If the sample rate is adapted automatically when you play a track with different sample rate it is recognized properly.

Feb 4, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #56,621 of 153,406
Only asking this here because there has been mention of micro / ultrarendu here with schiit dacs. I may ask in the rendu thread, but it seems kinda dead. I primarily use a microrendu to stream tidal to my Yggdrasil. Is there a better method than using the Linn Kazoo app?
I don’t want Roon.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #56,624 of 153,406
Only asking this here because there has been mention of micro / ultrarendu here with schiit dacs. I may ask in the rendu thread, but it seems kinda dead. I primarily use a microrendu to stream tidal to my Yggdrasil. Is there a better method than using the Linn Kazoo app?
I don’t want Roon.
You are not going to like what I am going to end with, but...

I got a MicroRendu pretty quickly when they came out. I was dead set against Roon. Why should I pay for what was free? People were nuts who paid for Roon.

So I tried many apps and servers for my MicroRendu. The best two control points are Linn Kazoo and The Lumin App. I probably used Lumin more often than Kazoo, but I kept both loaded on my old iPad. For the server I really liked Asset Upnp and almost paid for the upgraded server. Minimserver also worked well. They are the best free options in my opinion.

Last year I broke down and tried Roon. I loved it so much I bought a lifetime and built a R.O.C.K.

Good luck with the free options, they are workable. Roon is way better. Sorry. I'm sure you are sick of hearing it, I was.

Feb 4, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #56,625 of 153,406
I don’t want Roon.

i use my optical rendu to run both LMS and squeezelite. I use Qobuz but I believe there is a Tidal plug-in for LMS. I use iPeng on my phone to control. There are other apps to control LMS is you are on Android.

I actively dislike Roon. I listen to a lot of classical and some broadway. I have a hard time with Roon finding the right album when there are many versions of the same thing. Also Roon is not robust with misspellings or partial names. In classic music, some names are hard to spell and some have variations

Users who are viewing this thread

Back