Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 2, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #56,551 of 155,078
A word of advice to Yggdrasil owners upgrading to Unison USB: if you make a stupid mistake like I just did with the (complete PITA more so than the 5,436 4-40 screws that hold the case together) ribbon cable that connects to the front display, and you stupidly miss an entire row of pins when fumbling with your too-large hands to get it back in place, the Yggdrasil will power up normally but you will not be able to select the USB input. This will, of course and completely logically, make you think that OHMYGOD the brand new release-version Unison card is bad when in fact it is operator error. Don't be silly LIKE ME and reach out to Schiit for help when in fact it is a mistake made by you. Just calmly remove the 5,436 screws for the twentieth time and properly install the ribbon connector, perhaps using a flashlight to see that it is fully and properly engaged, and then reassemble the Yggdrasil.

It works like a charm when you put it together properly. Trust me, I know. :owl:
Been there with the ribbon cable, old jumpers on wrong pins, and many other small fiddly bits. I get you,

Feb 2, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #56,552 of 155,078
I haven't seen a mass spec on the SOL arm though. The DL-103 is very low compliance, so needs a medium-to-high mass arm to work best...

Effective mass is 13 grams so considered medium. I'm somewhat surprised that the critical matching between cartridge compliance and effective tonearm mass isn't discussed more by turntable enthusiasts. My tonearms' effective mass is 7.5gr. A high compliance cartridge is critical.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #56,554 of 155,078
I always thought that the 'go to first unread post' button was handy. I don't see it anymore.

Near the top of the page, right side. Now says "Jump to new".

JC

edit: this button doesn't appear to be on all pages but if it's there it's adjacent to the Unwatch button.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #56,555 of 155,078
Near the top of the page, right side. Now says "Jump to new".

JC

edit: this button doesn't appear to be on all pages but if it's there it's adjacent to the Unwatch button.

I have found the “watched” thread which seems to be the same as the old “subscribed” threads, but I still haven’t found the equivalent to the “unread subscribed” threads? Is there still such a view?

Feb 2, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #56,556 of 155,078
Effective mass is 13 grams so considered medium.

Thanks for that info. My Nott arm is 13.5 grams and it handles the Zu (and similarly low compliance Koetsu) just fine, so the SOL / Zu mating should be OK as well.

I'm somewhat surprised that the critical matching between cartridge compliance and effective tonearm mass isn't discussed more by turntable enthusiasts. My tonearms' effective mass is 7.5gr. A high compliance cartridge is critical.

Totally agree. Putting a low compliance cartridge on a low mass arm (or high compliance cartridge on a high mass arm) will pretty much guarantee compromised sonics, regardless of the caliber of arm or cartridge involved.

Feb 2, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #56,557 of 155,078
Effective mass is 13 grams so considered medium. I'm somewhat surprised that the critical matching between cartridge compliance and effective tonearm mass isn't discussed more by turntable enthusiasts. My tonearms' effective mass is 7.5gr. A high compliance cartridge is critical.
Agreed, but not to worry, it won't go to waste... My very old VPI Aries table has a hot rod Rega RB300 arm with a drop weight balance. I used the original 103r with great success.

Feb 2, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #56,558 of 155,078
Quick note: the new site apparently emails me every time someone posts, not just the first post after I've visited. Due to this, I have shut down ALL notifications (there are many on the user control panel, including many new ones) in order to manage noise. Sorry about that, but I really need to get back to productive work.

This doesn't mean I won't continue to check this thread (and others), it just won't be shouting at me through email all the time.

Crotchety opinion: Forums should have an easily accessible "100% Silent" mode. Just like phones should have a physical "****, Forever, Never Bother Me" switch.

I also shut down all alerts for the same reason, but the emails keep coming. Aarghgg

Feb 2, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #56,559 of 155,078
ROFL! Me too.

And a 'Shock/EMP' button that would send a 460v, 50 amp shock to a telemarketer or an EMP to a robocalling machine...

We're rapidly heading towards a time where we'll only be allowing calls and texts from green-lit contacts in our address books. Sigh.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 2, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #56,560 of 155,078
We're rapidly heading towards a time where we'll only be allowing calls and texts from green-lit contacts in our address books. Sigh.

Ironic considering that technology is supposed to make us more connected. Now it's forcing us to be more closed in than a pair of closed headphones!

Feb 2, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #56,563 of 155,078
iOS allows that selection for text messages.
Either exclude or allow non-contacts to show up in a different tab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back