Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 28, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #56,356 of 150,753
I just watched the Yggdrasil build on YouTube to figure out what to do. It looks like the board snaps in and is secured by 2 screws.

USB board install around 7:50

"Snaps" would be the wrong word - more like it seats into a single row connector by aligning several long pins on teh daughter card. But yes, two screws secure it in place. There are about a dozen or so screws to be removed to get to it, though, and I absolutely do NOT recommend that a home user plug in the motherboard after removal from the chassis like that video shows!

Jan 28, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #56,357 of 150,753
If you can upgrade to Unison, DOO EET.
NOOO!!! I never ever use USB.
Let me use AES/EBU in peace.
I told myself it sounded best and I do believe myself.
Let me alone. My AES/EBU cable is far more beautiful than a USB cable can be.
The XLR connectors are much more Hi End than those flimsy flimperts.
I'll concede if you're the one that comes to my house and does the upgrade.

Jan 28, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #56,360 of 150,753
Assuming microrendu is compatible with Unison USB?

From the horse's mouth:

"So what platforms does your Unison USB input support?
Actually, the question should be “What platforms support your Unison USB input?” since our Unison USB input is 100% UAC2 compliant (that is, USB Audio Class 2, the accepted standard for USB audio transmission.) So, here you go:
  • Linux. As in, most popular streamers, from the Sonore MicroRendu to the Salk Streamer. Note “most.” Also most Linux distros that support UAC2 natively will be plug and play. Please note that we cannot provide detailed technical support for Linux."

Jan 28, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #56,361 of 150,753
NOOO!!! I never ever use USB.
Let me use AES/EBU in peace.
I told myself it sounded best and I do believe myself.
Let me alone. My AES/EBU cable is far more beautiful than a USB cable can be.
The XLR connectors are much more Hi End than those flimsy flimperts.
I'll concede if you're the one that comes to my house and does the upgrade.
You and I are of the same mind. Besides, I am too lazy to either send it in or do it myself.

Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid doing altogether.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #56,362 of 150,753
From the horse's mouth:

"So what platforms does your Unison USB input support?
Actually, the question should be “What platforms support your Unison USB input?” since our Unison USB input is 100% UAC2 compliant (that is, USB Audio Class 2, the accepted standard for USB audio transmission.) So, here you go:
  • Linux. As in, most popular streamers, from the Sonore MicroRendu to the Salk Streamer. Note “most.” Also most Linux distros that support UAC2 natively will be plug and play. Please note that we cannot provide detailed technical support for Linux."
From personal experience:

Works fine. Enjoy!

Jan 28, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #56,363 of 150,753
I'm entering a great debate with myself.

Spend 150 on a Unison for my 4490 Bifrost, or buy an Eitr for 99.

Or, eBay my Modi 3, Magni 3, fulla 3, Bifrost 4490, a pair of AKGs, and put all of that together with the 150 I could spend on unison, to buy another Bifrost 2.

Decisions, Decisions......

Jan 28, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #56,364 of 150,753
I'm entering a great debate with myself.

Spend 150 on a Unison for my 4490 Bifrost, or buy an Eitr for 99.

Or, eBay my Modi 3, Magni 3, fulla 3, Bifrost 4490, a pair of AKGs, and put all of that together with the 150 I could spend on unison, to buy another Bifrost 2.

Decisions, Decisions......

So I have an Eitr. That's how I connect now. For me I'm excited to lose a cable, a silver box and another PSU from my system.

Worth the extra bucks to have less clutter and power draw for the next decade.

Jan 28, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #56,365 of 150,753
Hello Fellow Followers Of Schiit & Jason

I'm at a small gathering at my brother's place and he's still using my old Magni 2/Modi 2 combo that I gave him when I upgraded to the Magni 3/Modi 3 a few years back. The M2/Mo2 combo my brother has, must be at least six years old this year and it's still running fine. Has anyone else got a piece of Schiit gear they've had for a long, long time that's still running? And Jason. What's the oldest piece of gear you have at Schiit that's still running? or has been sent into the Schiitbox for repair/replacement?
Listening to the original Modi at the moment. Definitely the oldest piece of Schiit I own.

Jan 29, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #56,367 of 150,753
So.... Worth the extra bucks for Unison or a second Bifrost 2.

I agree the less clutter the better.

@Rensek are you aware that if you bought the Bifrost (or a Bifrost upgrade, as I understand it) from Schiit or an authorized dealer that you can get $100 off a Bifrost 2 before 3/31/2020?

Jan 29, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #56,368 of 150,753
@Rensek are you aware that if you bought the Bifrost (or a Bifrost upgrade, as I understand it) from Schiit or an authorized dealer that you can get $100 off a Bifrost 2 before 3/31/2020?

Yes! Thanks. I already have a Bifrost 2. Bought mid December, listening to it right now with Unison and scotch mod. It's fantastic.

I'm debating unison for the Bifrost 4490 I have, or selling a bunch of little Schiit I own and getting a SECOND Bifrost 2.

I wonder, will Schiit give me 100 dollars off on a second Bifrost 2, when I already got 100 off on the first one?

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #56,369 of 150,753
Yes! Thanks. I already have a Bifrost 2. Bought mid December, listening to it right now with Unison and scotch mod. It's fantastic.

I'm debating unison for the Bifrost 4490 I have, or selling a bunch of little Schiit I own and getting a SECOND Bifrost 2.

I wonder, will Schiit give me 100 dollars off on a second Bifrost 2, when I already got 100 off on the first one?

If you swap in the 4490, do you notice a big difference in sound quality (presuming that both have been powered on for a while, and just moving the input & analog output connections)

Jan 29, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #56,370 of 150,753
If you swap in the 4490, do you notice a big difference in sound quality (presuming that both have been powered on for a while, and just moving the input & analog output connections)

Hard to answer.

The Bifrost 2 is in my basement rig, and hasn't been powered off in a few weeks.

Bifrost 4490 is at work now.

When I was doing my initial A/B/C of Bifrost 4490, Bifrost 2, modi multibit, I was comparing toslink. None had been kept on for longer then 6 hours.

At that point I got a bit tipsy and forgot what input on saga belonged to what DAC, and ended up with a semi blind test.

Bifrost 4490 was the easiest to pick out because it didn't have the fullness of sound that the multibit dacs have.

At the time I really really didn't know what DAC was what, even though I thought I did.. but I'll say this.

The 4490 has awesome detail retrieval, toslink only, use it at work every day. No USB card. It doesn't quite have the fullness of Bifrost 2, and the Bifrost 2 in toslink has a bit better decay and attack, notes hang longer.

I've since figured out a better source for USB then what I was using. Bifrost 2 with unison is indeed magical (scotch mod). Been a listening to my test playlists on Qobuz tonight. I just switched over to Steely Dan's Gaucho, on 24/96. Wow. Soooo good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back