Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 6, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #55,426 of 151,546
Any suggestions? I’m running the HD6XX and not really looking to change the general sound signature.

I went from HD650 to TH900, so really not the same sound signature at all. But based on what other people say, HD800S, Elear/Elex, LCD 2/3, PM-1 and maybe Atticus could be worth a look.

Jan 6, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #55,429 of 151,546
Almost certain Bifrost 2 has an op-amp based output stage and isn’t Nexus-based, or its product page would most certainly highlight that.

I reckon what was meant by Bifrost 2 having better SE than Gungnir/Yggdrasil is that the latter are said to have significantly better performance from their XLR outs compared to SE, whereas the Bifrost 2 is said to be more consistent across the two. Such, at least, is my understanding.
That, and also Bifrost 2 has better SE performance than both Gungnir/Yggdrasil.

I got that info from owning all of the above and comparing Bifrost 2 to Yggrdasil directly.

Bifrost 2 is a single ended design. The balanced output is generated from the SE, using Schiit's proprietary Cheap-ass balanced™ technology. It's the opposite approach from the bigger brothers inherently balanced design, that employ summing to generate the SE output and result in a less transparent sound.
Thanks for the explanation! That makes since.

Jan 6, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #55,430 of 151,546
I, too, would be interested in an A/B comparison of the Bifrost2 and GungnirMB.
The reason ... a trusted Head-Fi source recently wrote that the Bifrost2 w/ Unison sounds better than the GMB w/ Gen5 USB.
And, he had a long history with the GMB. So now, he's switched to the Bifrost2.
I don't think the Yggdrasil needs be included, we all know it's the parent. The other two DACs are the siblings :)

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #55,431 of 151,546
Regarding Bifrost 2, it’s certainly all the DAC I’ll ever need. I’ll still play around with amps and stuff, and upgrade B2 when the time comes, but I don’t feel a need to get anything higher end on DAC front.

Jan 6, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #55,432 of 151,546
Regarding Bifrost 2, it’s certainly all the DAC I’ll ever need. I’ll still play around with amps and stuff, and upgrade B2 when the time comes, but I don’t feel a need to get anything higher end on DAC front.

I feel the same about my Freya OG, and my Gungnir Multibit OG. Other parts of my system may change, but those two items are my end game.

Jan 6, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #55,433 of 151,546
I just love the new design of the Bifrost2, completely user-upgradable!
My main interest is in the Gungnir's Adaptaclock technology, and whether that makes a difference in SQ.
Best to wait until the Gungnir has Unison, to level the playing field. Based on the design builds, the GMB with Unison should be preferred.

Jan 6, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #55,435 of 151,546
Obviously for Freya there is "OG", Freya S, and Freya +. calling it Gungnir Multibit OG implies that there is another version?

Didn't you get the memo?:ksc75smile:

Jan 6, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #55,437 of 151,546
not yet, but hopefully soon :)

actually i'm waiting for the Bifrost 2 D/S for $399...

Perhaps I should have called it a BG5? ( Before gen 5 )

Jan 7, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #55,440 of 151,546
Hey all, it's that time again!

SchiitrMeet January
Magni 3+/Heresy Thunderdome!

It's time to put op-amps up against discrete design and see who's the winner. Let's have a listen to Magni 3+ and Heresy...blind. We'll have multiple headphone listening stations set up, with everything level-matched and obscured...and we can try them as pre-amps in the speaker room too.

So, let's see what happens. We've been surprised before. What will we find this time?

I hope to see you there!

The Schiitr
22508 Market Street
Newhall, CA 91321

Thursday, January 9
6PM-10PM

All the best,
Jason
When are you coming to Brooklyn? HA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back