Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 4, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #55,336 of 154,400
Not sure if this is the appropriate place to make a lengthy post like this, but I thought I'd give my positive experience with the Modi 3/Magni 3+ combo I just purchased.
.....{{{snip}}}....So... color me happy with the three Schiit products I've purchased so far. I only live about 90 minutes or so from Valencia, so I'm tempted to show up for the 3+/Heresy showdown just to see/hear what all the fuss is about.
Damn. Make the trip, eh. And post images here, @blaked .

Jan 4, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #55,337 of 154,400
Magni 3+ vs Magni Heresy vs Asgard 2

I tested the three units informally using a few well-known-to-me Classical and mostly acoustic selections. (source was re-purposed dvd player with coax s/pdif -> Bifrost MB (original gen) -> test amp (in high-gain mode) -> AKG K702 -> my ears). All three amps were left on 24 hours prior, and kept on, except powered down briefly to change cabling, then powered back up for 2 mins before resuming listening, typically by listening to a few tracks, then changing to another amp. I listen at lower levels than most.

The 3 Schiit HP Amps were also compared with a late-80's vintage Aragon 18K pre-amp (external PSU re-capped using Panasonic TSU / FC / FM series low-impedance caps, remainder of Aragon is stock) and generic dual RCA to TRS adapter cable to drive the same AKGs.

K702's are rated around 62 ohms and good efficiency for dynamic over-the-ear phones, so easy to drive for all 3 Schiit amps.

To my ears, the Asgard 2 was the winner amongst the Schiit Amps (no surprise, as it has the highest MSRP and therefore a bigger parts budget, including the larger transformer at 30VA, more filter capacitance, the Alps RK27 "blue velvet" pot, and beefy output transistors)

soundstage: Aragon 18K > Asgard 2 > Magni 3+ >= Magni Heresy.
Bass extension and slam: Magni 3+ = Magni Heresy >= Asgard 2 > Aragon 18K
Power: Magni 3+ = Magni Heresy > Asgard 2 ~ Aragon 18K (but any of them have enough power into the K702 to drive above rated max SPL)
Smoothness: Magni Heresy is smoother sounding than Magni 3+, but also a bit less detailed.

Bottom Line recommendations: for a budget amp that can drive low-impedance inefficient headphones (e.g. Audeze LCD1, some Hifi-Man) the Magni 3 series seems like a good fit. If you can afford the additional cost, and soundstage and imaging are important to YOU, then I recommend stepping up to the Asgard 2 (currently on closeout) or Asgard 3 (which I have not heard yet). For the low impedance planars (10~25 ohms) the Asgard 2 will not play as loud as the Magni 3's or the Asgard 3.

disclosures: I don't work for Schiit, but have an electronics engineering background. I believe that specifications (at least those measurements currently specified with audio equipment) don't always correlate with perceived sound quality. Bifrost MB and Asgard 2 were purchased in 2019 (BEFORE they were available at special Classic-Stack pricing :frowning2: The Magni 3+ and Magni Heresy were provided by @Jason Stoddard free (as a courtesy for answering the "engineer's quiz", as another HF member also did, who also received a free set of these amps too).

Jason, thanks again for the Magni 3's. I was most surprised at the performance of the Heresy, given that it's output stage uses multiple parallel-connected op-amps (designed for small signal use, but have reasonably low open-loop output impedance). Looking forward to a next gen solid state amp that can drive planars (aka medium-high standing bias + continuity) but imaging and soundstage as good as the Aragon 18K.

Jan 4, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #55,338 of 154,400
Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #55,339 of 154,400
I wish we had events like that up here in the Great White North! I've been debating on what my next amp will be and I've had a positive experience with Schiit so far.
I need to find some local fellow head-fiers to network with and hopefully find someone willing to let me try gear before buying.

I also need to make a trip out to Cali one of these days and if I do I'll definitely stop by Schiit. Years ago I was promised a trip down to San Fran for a podcast collab with Head-Fi but it fell through. But I'll make it on my own one of these days, I'm due a proper vacation.

Jan 4, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #55,341 of 154,400
I should have mentioned this in my last post--but I'm also curious how the Gen1 Vali and Gen1 Modi compare to current verisions of the Magni and Modi. I say Magni because I think if I'm going to buy a new "tube" amp I'll probably make the jump to a Valhalla, Darkvoice336 or Bottlehead Crack.
I think anyways. Still researching and researching.

Jan 4, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #55,342 of 154,400
Personally Deoxit fader forumula cleared all the problems I had with my little magni,s pot.

I was just telling a group the very same thing an hour ago lol. Those of us who have been doing this a long time have a bit of experience cleaning noisy control pots. If you owned a rack filled with Dynaco equipment back in the day you got a whole lot of experience.:ksc75smile:

Jan 5, 2020 at 12:05 AM Post #55,343 of 154,400
I’m not sure how you can fail a blind test. It’s not like school, there isn’t a “right” answer, there’s only your answer.
You can fail at noticing any differences. That's what I meant.

Jan 5, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #55,344 of 154,400
I have a little extra cash coming in over the next two and a half months (was let go from my job in December, but got a new job right after. Already getting the new, better pay, but soon severance kicks in).

Planning on buying a new laptop and maybe a Hel to go with it. If I do not need a mic, I might take the laptop to my room for the Modi Multibit and Valhalla 2.

Jan 5, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #55,345 of 154,400
Not sure if this is the appropriate place to make a lengthy post like this, but I thought I'd give my positive experience with the Modi 3/Magni 3+ combo I just purchased.

<< snip snip >>

About a year ago I had a bit of a shock: I was diagnosed with moderate hearing loss. Around the 3-4 KHz range, it could be called "moderately severe". I'm still pretty good at about 1.5 KHz and below, but above that a bowl forms, with my hearing from about 6 to 8 KHz climbing back up to the "mild loss" range.

<< snip snip >>

Oh, wow. I can't begin to tell you how relieved I was to hear that wonderful combination. I've discovered that I can still hear. It may not be perfect, but I'm able to hear so many details that I was worried would be lost on me. I lay back and listened to Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety for the first time in years, and I was near tears by the end of "Brain Damage". I can't remember the last time I had such an enjoyable listening experience.

<< snip snipp >>

So... color me happy with the three Schiit products I've purchased so far. I only live about 90 minutes or so from Valencia, so I'm tempted to show up for the 3+/Heresy showdown just to see/hear what all the fuss is about.

Happy for you. Thanks for sharing.

Jan 5, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #55,346 of 154,400
I think there's plenty of opportunity for Burson gear and Schiit gear to play nicely together. I just got a Burson Conductor 3X and plan to configure my rig using a little outside the box thinking; using not just the 3X by itself, but running my Gungnir Multibit DAC output through Burson's amp and feeding Burson's DAC output into my Mjolnir 2 (and, of course, my Schiit-to-Schiit connection). Should make for some interesting sound signatures...:wink:

Cheers and All the Best!:beerchug:
-HK sends

+1. I’m perfectly happy with my Bifrost 2/Burson CV2 combo.

Having said that, stacks are always nice, and having the balanced outs on Bifrost 2 have made me curious about a balanced system. If/when Schiit comes out with Jotunheim 2, Mjolnir 3 or perhaps a completely new product in similar size, I might jump on that.

Jan 5, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #55,348 of 154,400
Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #55,349 of 154,400
Deleted a couple of posts. Guys, this has run its course. Let it be.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 5, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #55,350 of 154,400
You can fail at noticing any differences. That's what I meant.
This would mean the results of your test is "no difference noted," not "fail." There is no fail unless you failed to complete the test. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back