Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 13, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #50,866 of 150,446
So, after messing around with different USB ports and Wyrd, I have no issues with electrical noise anymore. Using Wyrd or my display's USB ports fixes the issue. Unison is really something.

After spending a couple of hours playing with USB ports, the dog's face says it all, really.

Is it the Tool or is it the Unison? And why aren't you running Fear Inoculum through it? :smile_phones:

Sep 13, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #50,867 of 150,446
Per Jason's posts I'm too lazy to quote: Unison won't be coming until January for Bifrost 1, Gumby and Yggy. Add-on cards for Lyr, Jot and A3 maybe a year+ from now.

Which post from Jason was that? I think I might have either missed it, or not read it carefully enough -- I wasn't even sure if the add-in cards for Asgard, Jotunheim etc would get Unison USB!

As far as I recall what he wrote, Unison multibit cards were not a promise as much as a possibility at least a year away.

Sep 13, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #50,870 of 150,446
Sep 13, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #50,871 of 150,446
He played a lot of classical, too. May his soul rest in peace.

He also had a fondness for some yellow speaker cables I gave him, i tried to help him out with a few things, I worked on some of his Raspberry Pi's at times.

Sep 13, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #50,872 of 150,446
Ya know what I would love to see is an ESS and/or even a Burr brown based module for Jotunheim! I have been testing Jot with an external ESS based DAC and it meshes rather well

Sep 13, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #50,873 of 150,446
He also had a fondness for some yellow speaker cables I gave him, i tried to help him out with a few things, I worked on some of his Raspberry Pi's at times.
Well. I sent him the MELZ tube he coveted so much, pity he had to reflow the pins, it was a NOS tube from that army general in Russia - a TSBGRP lover.

Sep 13, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #50,874 of 150,446
Is it the Tool or is it the Unison? And why aren't you running Fear Inoculum through it? :smile_phones:

I haven’t got Fear Inoculum on CD, but I’ve streamed it plenty. Great schiit! :beerchug:

Sep 13, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #50,875 of 150,446
Well. I sent him the MELZ tube he coveted so much, pity he had to reflow the pins, it was a NOS tube from that army general in Russia - a TSBGRP lover.

Yeah I do a bit more than re-flowing the solder on the older Russian tubes. It will be interesting to get the outcome of the Schiit shootout and see how some Russian tubes did there.

I am still involved with the engineering department of the university Robert attended, and some of his photos of the last undefeated Division One college basketball team would be highly prized by people in this area.

Sep 13, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #50,876 of 150,446
Ya know what I would love to see is an ESS and/or even a Burr brown based module for Jotunheim! I have been testing Jot with an external ESS based DAC and it meshes rather well
Why would you want that if you can have the real thing with True Multibit ™ :ksc75smile:

Sep 13, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #50,877 of 150,446
Why would you want that if you can have the real thing with True Multibit ™ :ksc75smile:

I got the 4490 but now wondering should I have got the MB.

Sep 13, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #50,878 of 150,446
The anitskate weight seems to stay on just fine if you adjust the pivot point to line up with the notch in the antiskate bar.

I tried that just now. It definitely helps keep the weight on but mine still falls off almost every time I move arm back to the left. Further, the pivot point ends up *much* higher than the stylus.

Sep 13, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #50,879 of 150,446
The CBS/Hytron 5692 is a personal favorite and there may well have been one in this exercise. :smile_phones: The Lyr 3 might have been a better way to go but they were hooking to a speaker amp. There are a bunch of us who use a Vali 2 with 6sn7 equivalents. Four Melz 1578's in a Freya are to die for but that can get a little costly.

Mine is a lowly CBS Hytron 6SN7 GTA, but it sure sounds nice! Someday, once the kids grow up, I hope I can afford what will be left of the more rarified NOS tubes out there -- if only out of curiosity as to how they sound!

I'll add, though, that one of the things I like about the Saga is that it is so much cheaper to experiment and roll tubes than it is with the Freya variants and other amps/pre-amps that take more tubes. And, like I said, it was pleasantly surprising to me how much variance I found.

It is a real sleeper component for folks like me who don't have much to devote to this hobby (I have less than $4000 invested over 30 years in our home stereo and get great sound out of two speaker sets (in the living room and kitchen). It takes a lot of patience to build a system this way, but at the moment, it sounds like Jerry Garcia and David Grisman are sitting on the other side of our living room, jamming away on The Pizza Tapes, so who am I to complain?

I look forward to seeing the article when it comes out!

Sep 13, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #50,880 of 150,446

Users who are viewing this thread

Back