Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 4, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #46,231 of 149,297
I use TWO on each tube, and the entire glass envelope outside the chassis. If one would rather Jerry-rig a computer fan, or for that matter a 500CFM exhaust fan, in order to save $10 on socket-savers--I say, to each their own. Although my Valhalla is not even warm to touch, some folks would rather find a more expensive and elaborate set-up whilst complaining about the heat.
(shipping rates) >> (4 backordered socket savers on tube depot dot com). Meh, I'll wait. :)

May 4, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #46,232 of 149,297
Every time I see somebody post that the best way to make their system sound better is to have a couple of drinks I always am left wondering.

So, a serious question for you guys: do you genuinely feel that your music sounds better after a couple of drinks (alcoholic), or is this just a universal figure of speech kind of way of telling people that their neurosis is getting in the way of their hobby?

I ask because I have always found that music sounds awful after a glass of whiskey, or anything else for that matter. Like, puts me in a bad mood awful. I won't even attempt to listen to any of my gear if I'm having a drink on a Friday evening, I know better than to waste time with the attempt. My system sounds like an off-brand bedroom clock radio on steroids after a few drinks, all harsh shouty treble and no depth or bass, and I have to turn it up twice as loud as usual. Obviously the gear is fine and the problem is my ears and whatever they and my brain are doing in response to the alcohol, but is this really uncommon?

For me, sometimes a drink or two puts me into a very relaxed state. (Three and I'm asleep). Sometimes when I'm holding onto the work/life stress a bit too much it helps me enjoy the music. Usually the music itself helps me to let go.

I don't mean at all to glorify the drinking of alcohol. In excess its a scourge on society. Also, its not something I typically do. Maybe weekly I'll have a glass of wine or two. I'll bet its more like biweekly.

I also had this weird thing happen in my 30s. Even one drink ruins my sleep for the night. I literally sleep for two hours then am wide awake after having a drink.

Much like watching television and news, it would be very easy for me to completely walk away from it (booze not music, I would die without music).

Last edited:
May 4, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #46,233 of 149,297
Live concerts don't sound better under the influence.

May 4, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #46,234 of 149,297
Schiit’s little amplifier punches way above its weight
The Audiophiliac comes away mightily impressed by the Schiit Aegir amp.
by Steve Guttenberg
MAY 4, 2019 6:57 AM PDT
https://www.cnet.com/news/schiits-little-amplifier-punches-way-above-its-weight/#ftag=COS-05-10aaa0j

"Schiit's on a roll: a revised version of their Ragnarok integrated amp and the first Schiit turntable are coming soon. Watch this space."

I'm patiently awaiting a comparison between Vidar and Aegir (Monoblock). Mainly curious if Aegir has a lower noise floor than Vidar which would be the main reason I would switch...

May 4, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #46,235 of 149,297
Schiit’s little amplifier punches way above its weight
The Audiophiliac comes away mightily impressed by the Schiit Aegir amp.
by Steve Guttenberg
"punches way above its weight"... so Aegir performs as well as much heavier amps?
:)

Last edited:
May 4, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #46,236 of 149,297
May 5, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #46,237 of 149,297
and does it sound better than two years ago?

Obviously not. But multibit DACs normally need proper warm up and stabilization for maximum performance. Which can take between hours (many hours) and more than a week, depending on make/model (the main reason why I stopped bringing my Wadia CD player to CD player shoot outs. It never sounded at its best in the shootout, and back home it took more than a week to sound good again).

May 5, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #46,238 of 149,297
Some of you fellas wasted more energy arguing about this Schiit than my always-on Yggy 2 used last week when I was away on a biz trip.

For the record, my Yggy 2 sounds great even for NHL Playoffs. Any DAC that can make the sound of Doc Emerick's voice tolerable for a couple of hours is worth is weight in unobtanium. :smiley_cat:

Blasphemy!

May 5, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #46,239 of 149,297
@Xcalibur255 ... I think you're one of the first users that had the minerals to ask such an question! Nice. When a YouTube channel content-provider reviewed a Vali 2, that was one his 2016 musings! My preferred perception-time is Saturday morning, before I've over-caffinated myself, on an partially-empty stomach. Caffeine. Ethanol. Body hormones. Hell, my ear-fatigue. It changes my perception. Re: off-brand bedroom clock. Heh, interesting observation. When my tinnitus really acts up (after a week's worth of high pitched whines [teenaged-junior-scientists]), the most I can tolerate is "rain on a tent", by MyNoise dot net. I bypass my fancy toy (Valhalla) and plug-in straight to my Vali. When I'm feeling particularly twitchy, I switch to my solid-state Magni and listen to spoken-word podcasts (in the dark).
Booze.
Food.
Weed.
Fatigue.
My mood.
My music or (horror) podcast preferences change with what's going on in my body. :ksc75smile:
{{{edit... I'd never, EVER do stand up-philosophy [teaching], electronics repair or software troubleshooting while under the influence. Bad news! }}}
It's interesting you should mention caffeine, because I've noticed that has a clear effect on critical listening as well. I have always been deeply fascinated by how much our perception of sound varies and by just how many variables are acting upon those perceptions.

Tinnitus and barometric pressure are a couple of other major variables that can muck up a good listening session. My ears have never liked to equalize when pressure goes up or down and that leads to good and bad music listening days.

Lately I've been listening to ASMR tapping videos at very low volumes, partly because I like tapping sounds and partly because it seems to have a very positive focusing effect on my hearing. I find myself setting the volume on my headphone amp several clicks lower than I used to while still getting the same perceived loudness as before, which is a big win in my books. :)

Last edited:
May 5, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #46,241 of 149,297
It's interesting you should mention caffeine, because I've noticed that has a clear effect on critical listening as well. I have always been deeply fascinated by how much our perception of sound varies and by just how many variables are acting upon those perceptions.

Tinnitus and barometric pressure are a couple of other major variables that can muck up a good listening session. My ears have never liked to equalize when pressure goes up or down and that leads to good and bad music listening days.

Lately I've been listening to ASMR tapping videos at very low volumes, partly because I like tapping sounds and partly because it seems to have a very positive focusing effect on my hearing. I find myself setting the volume on my headphone amp several clicks lower than I used to while still getting the same perceived loudness as before, which is a big win in my books. :)
I was over-equalizing my inner ear while drift-diving the Saint Lawrence Seaway (nothing quite like pulling yourself along a submerged chain with freight tankers cruising kilometres away [sure as hell doesn't sound like it under water]). I've got some relief using noise generators (my two go-to links... here .... and here). Tinnitus is a bizarre phenomena.
Thanks to everybody for weighing in and for what turned into a pretty cool discussion. It kind of looks like this group is about 50/50 on the subject which is interesting. For sure it seems there are two camps when it comes to how we respond to alcohol and critical listening, which is good to know.
My spouse's teaching Theory Of Knowledge to her IB students. By the end of the course, they question their senses, perceptions, and hopefully, see 1-2 biasses. In my classes, by the end of grade 10 science, the students are muttering to each other... So I don't see Mister ScubaMan. I'm only seeing an image of my teacher. And that image can be manipulated. My smell can be manipulated. My hearing can be manipulated. My central nervous system's unreliable! EXISTENTIAL CRISIS... is this on the test, sir? :owl:

May 5, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #46,242 of 149,297
Thanks to everybody for weighing in and for what turned into a pretty cool discussion. It kind of looks like this group is about 50/50 on the subject which is interesting. For sure it seems there are two camps when it comes to how we respond to alcohol and critical listening, which is good to know.
Indeed...it was only after I quit drinking did I realize that I thought everybody was drinkers because I had not met and drunk coffee with those who didn't.
If the Music I am hearing tonight could be enhanced, I am not sure I could handle it sounding better:ksc75smile::L3000: And YMMV...

May 5, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #46,243 of 149,297

Amazing! I do sound reinforcement for a community church and have always been astounded at the number of variables, def barometric pressure, but also relative humidity making appreciable differences. (I can appreciate Baldr's preference for non-amplified venues)

I've honestly never thought to apply these observations to my home environment...

Last edited:
May 6, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #46,244 of 149,297
Obviously not. But multibit DACs normally need proper warm up and stabilization for maximum performance. Which can take between hours (many hours) and more than a week, depending on make/model (the main reason why I stopped bringing my Wadia CD player to CD player shoot outs. It never sounded at its best in the shootout, and back home it took more than a week to sound good again).
Was not a serious question...obviously...two years!!??!!

May 6, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #46,245 of 149,297
Was not a serious question...obviously...two years!!??!!

Of course not. But it touches a bit on the cynicism of non-believers when they talk about how important multibit DAC owners find the correct warming up time. And then you easily get statements that the longer warming up the better, few hour, few days, few weeks, two years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back