Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 7, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #41,491 of 150,436
Nov 7, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #41,492 of 150,436
I wish Spotify would come out with high res streaming. They have a great UI, Spotify Connect, family subscriptions, an enormous library of songs... they just need one more thing, high res streaming.

The petition on Spotify's site for high res is over 4 years old and has garnered over 10,000 votes (https://community.spotify.com/t5/Li...Lossless-Streaming-16bit-44-1khz/idi-p/700006)

Tidal and Qobuz are offering it... so I don't get why Spotify seems to not care to offer it, even at a higher cost.

Nov 8, 2018 at 2:03 AM Post #41,493 of 150,436
I wish Spotify would come out with high res streaming. They have a great UI, Spotify Connect, family subscriptions, an enormous library of songs... they just need one more thing, high res streaming.

The petition on Spotify's site for high res is over 4 years old and has garnered over 10,000 votes (https://community.spotify.com/t5/Li...Lossless-Streaming-16bit-44-1khz/idi-p/700006)

Tidal and Qobuz are offering it... so I don't get why Spotify seems to not care to offer it, even at a higher cost.

They even teased it last year with some people getting a pop-up in the app about high res but nothing came of it and Spotify never officially spoke about it. Spotify would be perfect if they added flac as, like you said, the usability is just so much higher than all the other services, and the recommendations are spot on!

Nov 8, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #41,494 of 150,436
Nov 8, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #41,495 of 150,436
Terrible to hear about another mass shooting, but Newhall is about 50 min away from Thousand Oaks, so hopefully far enough away.

upload_2018-11-8_8-1-7.png

http://www.schiit.com/places
The Schiitr
22508 Market Street
Newhall, CA 91321

Nov 8, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #41,496 of 150,436
What happened when you tried? The consolation is that Qobuz is coming to the US soon and this is just a preview trial.

It would not let me past the birthday verification.
I re-entered the address a few times, as Rob suggested. It was pointed to the US trial offer page.
Maybe it thought I was too old for a free trial LOL.

Edit: Since I read the rest of the comments, I did make it to the robo bot page. I got past those pages a couple of times, then it went back to "verify your birthdate" that it would not take ... oh well.

When Qobuz comes to the US, I will probably give it a try after reading the others' positive comments from this trial. Well done @CAPT Deadpool :)

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #41,497 of 150,436
Spotify lost 1.5 billion dollars in 2017 and continues to lose money this year. It is only being kept alive by investors pumping large sums of money into it. If they can't figure out how to stop the bleeding I would not expect it to last much longer. Tidal is not in much better shape.

Nov 8, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #41,498 of 150,436
Spotify lost 1.5 billion dollars in 2017 and continues to lose money this year. It is only being kept alive by investors pumping large sums of money into it. If they can't figure out how to stop the bleeding I would not expect it to last much longer. Tidal is not in much better shape.

I think the record companies have a vested interest in making sure there is a competitor to Apple Music.

Nov 8, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #41,499 of 150,436
I think the record companies have a vested interest in making sure there is a competitor to Apple Music.

So do Audiophiles. I don't think Apple Music's bitrate is any better than Prime Music. MP3 320Kbps.

Nov 8, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #41,501 of 150,436

You mean all the Tidal recommendations for music to listen to aren't spot on? I mean Muse, bluegrass, and classic country/rock all mean I want to listen to Jay-Z and his friends gangsta rap. I just love the feature where you are playing something on the Apple TV Tidal app that is safe for kids and the next thing you know the song ends and it autoplays cussing and other words that weren't ok when Archie Bunker said them and I sure as hell don't want my kids to say. I live just outside of Bmore, there are plenty of opportunities for my Autistic son to pick up a word like that and get the Schiit beat out of him, and he won't even understand why or what the historical significance of the word is.

Edit: Telling him not to say something because it is a bad word is like me telling you all not to think of a red fire truck.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #41,502 of 150,436
Nov 8, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #41,503 of 150,436
After being re-directed to UK site and not able to download, I contacted Qobuz about a new code and the response was there will be free trials once it’s up and running. I can wait.

I’ve had great luck with Tidal. Not once has a rap song shown up in my play list or search. It’s like last weeks riff on PC and Apple. Never regretted moving to the Apple universe from my old PC’s. The experience is different for each of us and that’s how our decisions are made. I heard both awful and great audio on the 30 second snippets I heard on Qobuz yesterday. When the service gets here I’ll try again. Not making any claims or choices based on the limited exposure.

Nov 8, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #41,504 of 150,436
Funny that most streaming music services arent profitable but they’re mostly the reason why brick and mortar cd shops are on a decline.

With regards to apple music, during my pre-audiophile phase Ive bought a lot of music files from apple only to learn later on that cd quality is definitley way better.

Sad life lol

Nov 8, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #41,505 of 150,436
It would not let me past the birthday verification.
I re-entered the address a few times, as Rob suggested. It was pointed to the US trial offer page.
Maybe it thought I was too old for a free trial LOL.

Edit: Since I read the rest of the comments, I did make it to the robo bot page. I got past those pages a couple of times, then it went back to "verify your birthdate" that it would not take ... oh well.

When Qobuz comes to the US, I will probably give it a try after reading the others' positive comments from this trial. Well done @CAPT Deadpool :)
Did you note that it asks for birthday in European format (day/month/year)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back