Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 27, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #41,056 of 150,912
Gotta share ...

A wonderful jazz quartet performing live in a small venue. Excellent recording with some tracks serving as a very good test for your headphone's bass extension and slam. Give it a listen -- if you are even remotely into jazz, you'll love it!!

Artist: Bob Reynolds
Album: Quartet

Available on Spotify and Tidal. Can be purchased via Bandcamp.com

I know that I'm late to this party, but wow, what a great bunch of performers/performance! I may be forced to to get a streamer as there is no physical media (other than MP3) available for this group! Damn!

Oct 27, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #41,057 of 150,912
Oct 27, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #41,058 of 150,912
Glad you like it. You can purchase and download FLAC from Bandcamp.com. You can then burn to CD format using various free utils. Since FLAC is lossless, the resulting CD will be bit perfect. :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #41,059 of 150,912
Oct 27, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #41,060 of 150,912
This is best solid-state headamp I've used (and still use, on my work system). If I wanted to go really big leagues, I'd skip the HPA-1 and the GSX MKII for one of these. My current headamp ranking:

Asgard 2 < Cavalli Liquid Carbon < Jotunheim < Neurochrome HP-1 < Lyr 3 (with the right tube) < Apex Peak (with the right tube)

(still own)

Thats very nice:blush:

Oct 27, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #41,061 of 150,912
You mean anywhere between $399 and $1699?
Well, yes, but I'm less interested in price vs sound and features. If they had a Continuity amp at $999 with the features I mentioned, would you buy it? I would if it sounds right. Sure, it puts the price above Mjolnir, but you don't have to shell out hundreds in rolling tubes, so in my book that's a win.

I've bought and sold a lot of amps, both tube and solid state. There is only one I've hung on to, and that's the Black Widow 2. I don't have to worry about tubes, and everytime I turn it on it just sounds right. The only thing I wish it had were balanced connections and a better volume pot. If Schiit could put together a Continuity amp that had those extra features along with that kind of sound, at the usual awesome Schiit price, I bet people would flock to it in droves.

Oct 27, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #41,062 of 150,912
Well, yes, but I'm less interested in price vs sound and features. If they had a Continuity amp at $999 with the features I mentioned, would you buy it? I would if it sounds right. Sure, it puts the price above Mjolnir, but you don't have to shell out hundreds in rolling tubes, so in my book that's a win.

I've bought and sold a lot of amps, both tube and solid state. There is only one I've hung on to, and that's the Black Widow 2. I don't have to worry about tubes, and everytime I turn it on it just sounds right. The only thing I wish it had were balanced connections and a better volume pot. If Schiit could put together a Continuity amp that had those extra features along with that kind of sound, at the usual awesome Schiit price, I bet people would flock to it in droves.
Agree. I bet we see a lot of cool Schiit down the road based on continuity(tm). I actually had my Lyr 3 set up as a solid state amp (w/LISST) last week, really enjoed it! Back to an Electroharmonix tube now. Variety...

Oct 27, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #41,063 of 150,912
This is best solid-state headamp I've used (and still use, on my work system). If I wanted to go really big leagues, I'd skip the HPA-1 and the GSX MKII for one of these. My current headamp ranking:

Asgard 2 < Cavalli Liquid Carbon < Jotunheim < Neurochrome HP-1 < Lyr 3 (with the right tube) < Apex Peak (with the right tube)

(still own)

Im also looking at the Phonitor X. :)

Oct 27, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #41,064 of 150,912

yes!

Oct 27, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #41,065 of 150,912
In addition, I’d bet no one would recommend cabling cans to Ragnarok’s speaker terminals (but that’s a complete and total WAG)...

I used to wire my Wharfdale Isodynamics directly to the outputs of my 100W Quad 405. But I sure as hell wouldn't do that with my Senneiser HD 6XXs or 250Ω Beyerdynamic DT 660s, never mind any pair of earbuds. Somebody above mentioned it's technically possible to wire up any pair of headphones to run from speaker outs, but inappropriate for 99.9+% of them. I would agree.

EDIT: In fact, I am not aware of any other headphone that recommends being used with up to a 50W amp and ships/shipped with an adapter to use with power amps (albeit DIN).

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #41,067 of 150,912
Yes, the balanced outputs are the same as the speaker outputs (except for the relays that switch them on/off).

The unbalanced (TRS) outputs are much different however.

JJ

Oct 27, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #41,070 of 150,912
2018-10-27_114549.jpg
https://robrobinette.com/HeadphoneResistorNetworkCalculator.htm
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/headphone-attenuation-adapter/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back