Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 12, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #40,021 of 150,902
I even make my kids wear ear plugs at the movies. Especially those loud Marvel Blockbusters. People around us look at me like I'm nuts, but they are only 7 and 10. I wear them too.

Man, that's a good idea. My kid is 4. I'm going to do that too.

Next rock concert I go too I'm bringing plugs. Few years ago I attended a show with Tesla, Styx, Def Leppard in that order of appearance. We were in the back row and each band got progressively louder. Styx was border line too loud, def Leppard was thoroughly unenjoyable. Spent a good portion of concert with fingers in my eara.

Oct 12, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #40,023 of 150,902
I don't want to reveal my sources
we know 2018-10-12_231051.jpg

Oct 12, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #40,025 of 150,902
It's for me and it does one or more of the following ...

1. Rick Astley / Rick-Roll filter that blocks any playback of "Never Gonna Give You up".
2. It does nothing. Just a straight-through box to hide my contraband.
3. Counters the slight 8KHz spike in Hifiman Ananda headphones
4. DSP box simulating 10 of the greatest concert halls. Controlled via BT and an Android app.
5. Yggy Similator. Makes everything sound like it's being played via an Yggy DAC.

I will line up, if it does #5.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #40,026 of 150,902
Show up for the concert sporting one of these.:ksc75smile:
for extreme noise conditions of up to 140 db
I've been in some pits back in the 80's where I wished I had one of those and not for the noise.

Oct 12, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #40,027 of 150,902
If I make something good myself I'm proud. If some other Dutchman makes something good I don't care unless it is what I want at a pricepoint that I want. Jason and Mike should be very proud because they make good Schiit, they build a company and kept it local and they employed people from their community. However I really don't see how someone who has had nothing to do with that can extract some sence of pride from that achievement. But I don't watch sports either so it must be me. I don't want you to not be proud btw. I really wondered if you guys think nationalism is smart and we should all just buy our own stuff.Because if you ask the rest of the world it sortoff looks that way sometimes. But again, just to make sure, I don't mind....just wondering.

Well, personally I think Nationalism is the worst thing humankind has indulged in since at least the Reformation. So, bringing back outdated industries to employ workers is neither economically sensible or sustainable. England was the prime ship builder in the world, then us, then Japan, then whomever. Markets define where money is made now and in the future. Countries like Finland, Iceland, and Norway which have very little in the way of natural resources - have vibrant economies focused on high tech, small scale businesses, and tourism. High levels of health and education, not much spent on the military. There is more than one way to do it. But going backwards into the "good old days" which were quite a bit different than what exists in the common sepia tilted memory - isn't a recipe for success in the long term.

I cheer for sports teams, but, it doesn't mean I feel anger or hatred to other teams or their fans.

Schiit IMO is the best thing to happen to audio in a long time. Broke the dealer chokehold, and saved what 40% for buyer? Not meaningful if the products are poor or average - which they are not. If their business model vis a vis customers proves to them made in the US is a winner - or its a position they take even if it lowers profit - fine - I like the products. Go for it.

Oct 12, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #40,028 of 150,902
I notice a Massachusetts bias, Subjective Opinion Warning! :deadhorse::o2smile:

EIther Stereophile or TAS wrote that back around 1982 or so, after I had been to all 3 - many times to Boston, 4 times Chicago, and twice in Worcester. Since then, it's only been Boston and Worcester.

Been to many others - I really can't name any better ones.

Oct 12, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #40,029 of 150,902
If it delivers scotch, why would I want it to do anything else?

Do a search for Hifiman Ananda Peak filter and you will be enlightened. I did fancy it up a bit with a short cable I made with some litz wire, braiding, and smoldering nylon.
Ooooh, nice! I hope I'm not giving away your secret sauce, but I'm assuming you used the 10N OCC for the (+) strands, rhodium for the (-) strands, and silver from the rings of kings for the ground. For the uninitiated, the key is to use a properly shielded braid assist device (shown below) to keep a perfectly even tension. If not built by your expert hands with the right balance of materials, the mids would have been ripped right out, so to speak. Tell your client to try a solid state amp if they want better sound. Barring that, you could pass along that you've heard from an expert source that GE tubes can help :wink:

Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 5.43.18 AM.png

[Edited - Drat, I missed that he's already fessed up about the Rick Roller. Nice try covering for him though. I haven't finished my second cup of coffee yet. Apologies.]
[Edit #2 - For clarity. This post is of course in jest. Some folks know that Paladin does do this for a living and would never, EVER subscribe to such nonsense. We're poking fun at a friend]

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #40,031 of 150,902
You forgot that each strand must be individually enamel coated and the wire bundles must adhere to the Cardas Golden Ratio. Oversight, I'm sure. :wink:

Oct 12, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #40,032 of 150,902
You forgot that each strand must be individually enamel coated and the wire bundles must adhere to the Cardas Golden Ratio. Oversight, I'm sure. :wink:
Apologies. You are of course correct, but I didn't want it to come off like I was mansplaining or noob-bashing by stating the obvious. Folks on this thread can be a bit sensitive. :wink:

Oct 12, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #40,033 of 150,902

Attachments

• Max.gif
    Max.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Oct 12, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #40,034 of 150,902
I had almost forgotten about Max Headroom. We had a Max Headroom Coke machine at one point... memories.

I recorded the original (to the U.S., anyway) off-the-air transmission to VHS, back in the day. :thumbsup:

Oct 12, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #40,035 of 150,902

I have to admit I had a soft spot for the Cardas Gold as tonearm cable. It's the last cable I could find that really was different from others. After that - no. Cost a lot, but when you're spending $3k on a cartridge, it didn't seem so bad. At least I kept it for about 20 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back