Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 12, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #39,961 of 150,930
Source: https://imgflip.com/i/12q2pm ; Downloaded 08:43 EST; Author: the 'net.

I am responding to how I conduct audio tests on different wire types:

My Clockwork Orange quote must have tipped you off lol. I actually just strap them in a chair and make them listen to Captain Beefheart and the Magic band until all of the lyrics make sense.

e.g.

Shish sookie singabus
Snored like a red merry-go-round horse
And an acid gold bar swirled up and down
Up and down, in back of the singabus
And the pantaloon duck, white goose neck, quacked
Webcore, webcore

I do allow some warm up time listening to the test music I have in place.
I once read, or was told, or dreamed that it takes about two minutes for you to adjust to music to make any kind of assertion.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #39,962 of 150,930
I would say: get a Raspberry Pi (made in the UK0 with a 502DAC (made in the US) or a Digione (made in India) with coax(or AES), put that next to your DAC and forget you ever used USB from a PC.
You can have a DIY streamer for less than a fancy usb-cable and it will still play better than a pc over usb.
But I think you have to try it before you believe it.

quoting for later research...

Oct 12, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #39,963 of 150,930
I would say: get a Raspberry Pi (made in the UK0 with a 502DAC (made in the US) or a Digione (made in India) with coax(or AES), put that next to your DAC and forget you ever used USB from a PC.
You can have a DIY streamer for less than a fancy usb-cable and it will still play better than a pc over usb.

P.S.
Do you guys ever wonder what non-americans think when they read about all those made in America feelings?
Shouid we all become patriots too and NOT buy american?
Do you feel it like that? That is a negative angle (perhaps some underlying Calimero syndrome going on). It think it is good to be proud, no need to show it off of course.
What you can do is produce something and say made in >fill in your own country<
But that is going to be difficult because usually that only would be really possible for BiG countries like (USA, Germany and China). And even Schiit Audio is struggling to keep all parts and accessories from the USA.

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #39,964 of 150,930

While I agree that the Raspberry Pi with a nice HAT makes for a great DAP, if this is in response to Nicholas Seltzer and his long USB cable, he states he uses it with a gaming PC. I am guessing the system is at least partially used to enjoy the audio of games, so the Raspberry Pi will not help with that.

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #39,965 of 150,930

quoting for later research...

If anyone needs help with building a Raspberry Pi streamer just PM me. I can either build it (at cost) for you or help you with the process. The RPi itself has USB outs for feeding a DAC.

I would add that Orchard Audio makes a even more expensive (doesn't necessarily mean better) DAC add-on board (made in the US as well) for $200.

I have the 502 board with RCA analog outs, and S/PDIF out over rca, BNC, AES/BDU, or optical. So you can either hook up the 502 with RCAs to your Amp/Preamp using the on board DAC or add the capability to output S/PDIF (if the RPi USB doesn't satisfy your needs) over RCA, BNC, AES/BDU, or optical out from your Pi DAP to your Schiit Dac (although only the Yggy can get the AES/BDU).

The Apple Pi board has dual mini balanced outs and SE RCA outs.

Finally I saw a tube-DAC for the first time today on a Canadian company's website.

I would be interested to hear if Schiit makes (as a future product) or why they don't think a Tube-DAC is a good idea.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #39,966 of 150,930
P.S.
Do you guys ever wonder what non-americans think when they read about all those made in America feelings?
Shouid we all become patriots too and NOT buy american?
That will be obsolete in 2020 when the extraterrestrials take over.
Then it will be "Made in(on) the United Republic of Earth"

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #39,967 of 150,930
LOL even if someone said "I only listen to live music in a concert hall" someone else would come along and say, "oh yeah, this concert hall is better".
Watch it there, buster. Even Hong Kong is known for more than rubber dog Schiit now. :wink:

Top Gun

LOL good one itsAll!

I took the day off but I need to build some devices for friends. I was careful to buy the electronic parts from as many countries as I could around the world and I may even use some NXP parts from the Netherlands. Heck some parts were even shipped from a company in Texas.

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #39,968 of 150,930
Do you feel it like that? That is a negative angle (perhaps some underlying Calimero syndrome going on). It think it is good to be proud, no need to show it off of course.
What you can do is produce something and say made in >fill in your own country<
But that is going to be difficult because usually that only would be really possible for BiG countries like (USA, Germany and China). And even Schiit Audio is struggling to keep all parts and accessories from the USA.
If I make something good myself I'm proud. If some other Dutchman makes something good I don't care unless it is what I want at a pricepoint that I want. Jason and Mike should be very proud because they make good Schiit, they build a company and kept it local and they employed people from their community. However I really don't see how someone who has had nothing to do with that can extract some sence of pride from that achievement. But I don't watch sports either so it must be me. I don't want you to not be proud btw. I really wondered if you guys think nationalism is smart and we should all just buy our own stuff.Because if you ask the rest of the world it sortoff looks that way sometimes. But again, just to make sure, I don't mind....just wondering.

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #39,969 of 150,930
While I agree that the Raspberry Pi with a nice HAT makes for a great DAP, if this is in response to Nicholas Seltzer and his long USB cable, he states he uses it with a gaming PC. I am guessing the system is at least partially used to enjoy the audio of games, so the Raspberry Pi will not help with that.
play games over usb and get the streamer anyway for when you want sit down and listen! But you are right...I forgot about the gaming.

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #39,970 of 150,930
Sorry I must be thinking of the meaning of "schematic" with which I am familiar, there must be another meaning perhaps?

yep the like this
2018-10-12_173325.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #39,971 of 150,930
If I make something good myself I'm proud. If some other Dutchman makes something good I don't care unless it is what I want at a pricepoint that I want. Jason and Mike should be very proud because they make good Schiit, they build a company and kept it local and they employed people from their community. However I really don't see how someone who has had nothing to do with that can extract some sence of pride from that achievement. But I don't watch sports either so it must be me. I don't want you to not be proud btw. I really wondered if you guys think nationalism is smart and we should all just buy our own stuff.Because if you ask the rest of the world it sortoff looks that way sometimes. But again, just to make sure, I don't mind....just wondering.

People need something to hold on to and be proud of, to fight for, a cause of worth that captures their attention, and allows them to place this emotional need to care for something deeply.

Things at the top of my list are faith, family, friends. (And let's be honest, this Schitty thread is probably top 10, Love my Schitt.)

I wish that soccer was bigger in the states. Maybe folks would put their passion into that. Nationality and political parties are too often treated like a sports team. I would compare a soccer fans loyalty to Liverpool much the same way I would when discussing political party affiliations. People want their "team" to win, regardless of how it happens or what is affected by that "win"

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #39,972 of 150,930
People need something to hold on to and be proud of, to fight for, a cause of worth that captures their attention, and allows them to place this emotional need to care for something deeply.

Things at the top of my list are faith, family, friends. (And let's be honest, this Schitty thread is probably top 10, Love my Schitt.)

I wish that soccer was bigger in the states. Maybe folks would put their passion into that. Nationality and political parties are too often treated like a sports team. I would compare a soccer fans loyalty to Liverpool much the same way I would when discussing political party affiliations. People want their "team" to win, regardless of how it happens or what is affected by that "win"
Something like that I guess. But I just realised this is not my blog so I'm going to shut up about it. If it is a valid discussion this is probably not the place. And again...be proud all you want just be aware that to some it seems strange!

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #39,974 of 150,930
yep the like this

Interesting schematic... I don't want to reveal my sources but this might be the schematic for Aegir with a DAC module (see most exp chip).

circuit_diagram.png

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #39,975 of 150,930

Users who are viewing this thread

Back