Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 9, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #39,721 of 150,071
Interesting. I ordered my Vidars pretty much as soon as they were released. They've never been particularly quiet. I just noticed the buzzing last night when I put my ear up to it. I moved things around a bit. Perhaps it got worse?

Flip it, tighten the 4 large silver screws, hand tight (there's no torque spec).

Oct 9, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #39,722 of 150,071
I saw this on the news last night, because of the Hurricane, I don't normally watch the TV "news".
But as some wise man long ago said "A broken clock is right twice a day."

Most know I'm no Apple fanboy, never have owned even 1 product, so really I have no dog in the fight.
Except now with "Right to Repair" we all should.
Now I have to wonder at anyone who would still give these creeps money

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #39,723 of 150,071
I saw this on the CBS news last night, because of the Hurricane, I don't normally watch the major network "news".
But as some wise man long ago said " A broken clock is right twice a day."

Most know I'm no Apple fanboy, never have owned even 1 product, so really I have no dog in the fight.
Now I have to wonder at anyone who would still give these creeps money.

I used to live in a town with a Genius Bar and got a reasonable share of free service, advice, and learning from them. I am happy to say I have never been overcharged for a repair because nothing I've purchased from Apple has ever broken.

It's not hard these days to find people who will complain vociferously about nearly anything, a "few bad apples" one might say.

Oct 9, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #39,724 of 150,071
Like I said not my fight, but with "Right to Repair", and this influencing everything you buy in the future you need to see the forest through the trees.
This is certainly not a Apple only issue with the likes of John Deer, and Tesla.
But Apples lawyers are driving the bus, they are big and scary to many.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #39,725 of 150,071
Why am I not surprised!

Oct 9, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #39,726 of 150,071
Just another perspective -- First...find some speakers you really like and then buy the proper amp for them. :wink: There are many great speakers at a wide variety of efficiency levels....but the greatest speaker is the one that sounds best to your ears!

If for some reason, you love the sound of a pair of highly efficient speakers, then by all means get a low wattage, Class A/Continuity/etc. amp...if that floats your boat.

However, if you love the sound of some less efficient speakers, then buy them and a good sounding non-Class A (A/B, etc.) amp that has the headroom to properly drive them! You'll likely never know the difference between the amp classes.

I don't do stereo speaker setups any more but would probably look at planar (inefficient) speakers again if I chose to get back into this. For these speakers, I'm guessing I'd be much happier with the Vidar than the Aegir. My $.02

FWIW, I keep thinking a Vidar and set of Maggies w/Sub would be an interesting combo for the music that I spend the most time listening to.

It's a great setup, add a Loki and you may not need a sub...I don't except for some reggae

Oct 9, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #39,728 of 150,071
I will never understand why some people love to bash Apple, but I for one am a long-time user and lover of their tech. To each his own.

Me as well, have had iPods and iPads since day 1.

After my $2,000 Dell XPS windoze computer died, and I went to Macbook Pro, now I'm done. Never going back.
The build quality and performance are exceptional.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #39,729 of 150,071
I'm not really bashing the hardware as much as pointing out a larger issue.
I know Apple people don't like it, maybe that's part of the problem.
I own many Samsung products, and really don't like them (Samsung), hell now they own JBL/Harman:triportsad:
They are also involve with high RAM prices, I'm not playing favorites here.:wink:

Also it will be a cold day in hell before I ever buy a smartphone without a headphone jack no matter who makes it.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #39,730 of 150,071
I own many Samsung products, and really don't like them (Samsung), hell now they own JBL:triportsad:

I have Samsung TVs and a refrigerator. It's decent gear (except for the ice maker, but that's probably operator error :))
Their TVs are great.

Oct 9, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #39,731 of 150,071
I own many Samsung products, and really don't like them (Samsung), hell now they own JBL:triportsad:
They are also involve with high RAM prices, I'm not playing favorites here.:wink:

This is a larger issue. It's really nailing "owners" of John Deere equipment to the point where they can't even change their own oil any more.

EFF has been working on the "right to repair" for a while now.

Oct 9, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #39,732 of 150,071
Yes my amp does that. He calls it dynamic class “A“. To keep operating temperature best for longlivity and to make sure he has enough watts for his loudspeakers. Check him/them out; an interesting history this company has and though engineering is first they are into musicality of the hardware (he also records and makes mics) :

http://www.vanmedevoortaudio.nl/engels-index.html

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/vanmedevoort/vM.html

Oh nice! I own - and have owned for over a decade - the vM PA333. I got them serviced and upgraded two years ago, since they already had a balanced design, I also had an XLR in fitted. I have always enjoyed these amps, they are by far the oldest components I still have.

Oct 9, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #39,733 of 150,071
Like I said not my fight, but with "Right to Repair", and this influencing everything you buy in the future you need to see the forest through the trees.
This is certainly not a Apple only issue with the likes of John Deer, and Tesla.
But Apples lawyers are driving the bus, they are big and scary to many.
The great thing about Apple is they don’t require anyone to buy their products. Right to repair never comes into play if you aren’t an owner. This leaves free time to worry about other things you don’t have to voice an opinion on!

Oct 9, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #39,734 of 150,071
I have Samsung TVs and a refrigerator. It's decent gear (except for the ice maker, but that's probably operator error :))
Their TVs are great.

I bought the last great plasma a Samsung 8500 it was not cheap, it dies 13 mo. after I bought it. No parts in the damn world to repair!
They all got used up in 1 year, if not for a squaretrade warranty I'd be SOL.
I still have the warranty 4k Sammy replacement working fine.
Any company can make crap.
Why I'm only a fanboy here actually.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #39,735 of 150,071
The great thing about Apple is they don’t require anyone to buy their products. Right to repair never comes into play if you aren’t an owner. This leaves free time to worry about other things you don’t have to voice an opinion on!

Tell that to farmers that own Deer:sleeping:
Or someone who has cracked up ther Tesla and needs repair.:thinking:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back