Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 9, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #39,706 of 149,761
The way he mentioned it, I got the impression he was working on it, but Mike is a tough read, and I was multi-tasking so I may have mis-read it.

The dynamic range expansion sounds like something that could be done technologically to me, but I have a hard time seeing it past Mike's filter of doesn't sound like arse. Mike is a vocal opponent of over-compression, so I could easily see it as in "in-joke" of his to have a pop-music de-crapifier filter.

The beat alignment/mis-alignment sounds a bit more like snake oil to me, despite Mike's anecdote about the Rolling Stones. But I wouldn't have believed pitch shifting either, so I'll be happily proven wrong if it's done with Moffat Magic.

Perhaps it's something like what the Chord Mscaler is designed to do ...
https://www.moon-audio.com/chord-hugo-m-scaler.html

Oct 9, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #39,707 of 149,761
I think Mike's acknowledgement of the statement was his agreement that he'd like to be able to do something about the over-use of compression, too. But alas once a master is created there is nothing the user can do to correct that after the fact - without access to the original recordings, that is.

Oct 9, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #39,709 of 149,761
So how does the MScaler work then? I didn't think it possible to up-scale a 44.1kHz file to 768kHz ...
It's an upscaler, yes? That's a different (and far simpler) thing.

Oct 9, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #39,710 of 149,761
I don't know if the doctors add or subtract from your quality of life-----.
While I understand the cynical quality often espoused on the thread, I respectfully disagree re:doctors. With out quality doctors, my daughters ependymoma would not have been diagnosed nor treated correctly. I am thankful everyday for her life and the doctors who helped her recover. Pietro may understand this issue and for the others look it up, Generally a pediatric issue, hers was as a 22 year old. Spinal cord nerve root surgery is nothing to be sneezed at. The radiologist in Boston who supervised her proton radiation therapy was a lifesaver. Without these men, her life would be far different.

Sorry for the rant but it hits too close to home. As to big Pharma, don't get me started.

Oct 9, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #39,711 of 149,761
I've only barely used the 888, but I've used the Hakko 203, 951, 801, and 472 for a few years. Never had an issue with any of them. The 888 doesn't beep, doesn't have a "sleep" mode, and doesn't heat up quite as fast (room temp to 750 degrees Fahrenheit takes 50 seconds, OMG, LOL...the 203 takes 16 seconds). I had not heard of these needing any calibration, though I know they have temperature offset adjustments. A moot point for me, I suppose, as I don't have a tip meter/tester.

Thank you for the feedback! Much appreciated!

Oct 9, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #39,712 of 149,761
While I understand the cynical quality often espoused on the thread, I respectfully disagree re:doctors. With out quality doctors, my daughters ependymoma would not have been diagnosed nor treated correctly. I am thankful everyday for her life and the doctors who helped her recover. Pietro may understand this issue and for the others look it up, Generally a pediatric issue, hers was as a 22 year old. Spinal cord nerve root surgery is nothing to be sneezed at. The radiologist in Boston who supervised her proton radiation therapy was a lifesaver. Without these men, her life would be far different.

Sorry for the rant but it hits too close to home. As to big Pharma, don't get me started.

Agreed. I have no issues with Doctors and think we have some of the best and brightest. My issue is with the cost of access to quality doctors and medicine and the cost of most prescription drugs.

(Insurance companies is another discussion altogether.)

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #39,713 of 149,761

I am glad that you had such good experience. I must explain my comments by saying that I work as goalie in the medical game and I am getting a bit tired if making saves that the rest of the team lets by.

Oct 9, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #39,714 of 149,761
Be safe down there, Sam. Looks like you may be in the path ...

Yes, the latest forecast puts the center of the path very slightly to the West of us [we are between Valdosta and Thomasville]. Fortunately, we have a whole-house 22kw generator and a full 250 gallon propane tank. Now, if the oak trees will stay off of the roof----. Thanks for the concern, we really appreciate it. We do have some hurricane experience--we lived in central Florida the year that Charley and two other hurricanes bashed us in the space of two months--house uninhabitable for two weeks.

Oct 9, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #39,715 of 149,761

Thanks, Joe, for sharing your story with us. Glad it was a success for y'all.

Oct 9, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #39,716 of 149,761
Be safe down there, Sam. Looks like you may be in the path ...

Ugh, good timing with our vacation in Pensacola Beach just couple weeks ago...

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #39,717 of 149,761

Please do not misunderstand me---I have had doctors that were absolutely fantastic in technical skills and patient care, especially my cardiologist and primary care physician in Florida---they went above and beyond to save me and my spouse more than once. Unfortunately, we have also experienced questionable physicians whose opinions and treatment contradicted the successful treatment dispensed by doctors that we trust. My point is that you have to research and evaluate your physicians and make your selections. At the end of the day, you have the final say in your health care.

Oct 9, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #39,718 of 149,761
I still have vision because of the extreme skill of western optical surgeons. My wife is still alive because of the extreme skill of western ER and ICU doctors and nurses. I am happy to live in a world where these things exist and I have no problems whatever with doctors.

I do have problems with the greed of pharmaceutical and insurance companies but that is far too political a discussion for this forum. :triportsad:

Oct 9, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #39,719 of 149,761
Ugh, good timing with our vacation in Pensacola Beach just couple weeks ago...

Ditto! Wife and I were in Destin, FL just 2 weeks ago.

Oct 9, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #39,720 of 149,761
Thank you for the feedback! Much appreciated!

So, I went back through the manuals, and in the manual for the 203, it says, "The temperature accuracy of iron tips is +/-15° C (+/-27° F) (except for designated tips) when using the default values. If a higher temperature accuracy is required, use the following offset function."

The manual for the 888D does not have that note, but the iron does have a temperature offset function. It states a temperature stability spec of +/-1° C, but that's not the same as accuracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back