Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 8, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #39,676 of 150,892
Ha.. if that where possible.... but no. I wouldn't ever work in the US because of the current "sue your doctor" epidemic.
It destroys health care.
In ancient China the physicians worked the other way around.
One would pay him/her a monthly stipend as long as you where healthy.
The moment one got ill one would stop paying until he/she got you better again.
That makes a lot of sense! They should do the same with musicians

Oct 8, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #39,677 of 150,892
Cool.
I was thinking about Van Medevoort amps and then I found Schiit.
The upside would be fast upgrades and even bespoke work because they are not far from my house.
Still my Schiitheap will never be shoveled away again.
They did the opposite of Schiit; they cancelled their budget line and focus on the higher ranges. I have been in the factory, small family business making very reliable stuff for fairmoney and awesome service

Oct 8, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #39,678 of 150,892
The emphasis in Chinese medicine is to keep the body healthy. The emphasis in western medicine is to treat what is wrong. The emphasis in American pharmaceutical-based medicine is to perpetuate medication users. :)

Oh god don't get me rollin on the shady big Pharma crap going on. They own the media with their advertising money.
Drug prices have gone up with the "affordable" healthcare. They are responsible for more death and destruction than the problems they claim to solve.:angry:
Not saying there isn't good drugs but...

Sorry to go sooo far OT, this is a hot button for me.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #39,679 of 150,892
They are responsible for more death and destruction than the problems they claim to solve.

Last I heard, more people in the U.S. die each year from prescribed drugs than from illegal drugs. What's wrong with this picture? :cry:

Oct 8, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #39,680 of 150,892
Last I heard, more people in the U.S. die each year from prescribed drugs than from illegal drugs. What's wrong with this picture? :cry:

Hear much "reporting" of this? :rolling_eyes: There oughta be a law, oh ya there was!

Ok now I'm pissed, back to the music:)

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #39,681 of 150,892
Nice shop!

LOL. That's actually the desk in my home office when I'm in "cable" mode. The ten-foot-long, true WORKbench in the basement has too much crap stored on it to be easily accessible. 'Course, the basement does have the Proton D1200 and re-foamed Mach Ones...I should prolly clean the bench up a bit. :thinking:

Oct 8, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #39,682 of 150,892
I have 2 no 3 such WORK benches, no 4 :no_mouth:

Oct 8, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #39,683 of 150,892
I don't know if the doctors add or subtract from your quality of life-----.

Here's a word I coined in 2013:
Chronectomy – kron EK toh mi The gradual and excruciating excision of a patient's time by medical professionals, working individually or as a team, until said patient has no spare time remaining.

Oct 8, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #39,684 of 150,892
Oh god don't get me rollin on the shady big Pharma crap going on. They own the media with their advertising money.
Drug prices have gone up with the "affordable" healthcare. They are responsible for more death and destruction than the problems they claim to solve.:angry:

Consolation of the Pharmaceutical industry has also led to chronic shortages of generic, low cost drugs. But don't worry, we have a brand name replacement for only 18X more!

Bastards

Oct 8, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #39,686 of 150,892
personal comments

I assume this.
  1. Be polite. We encourage debating in the forums, but please avoid defamatory statements, personal attacks, racial slurs, name-calling, and cursing at others in the forums.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #39,687 of 150,892
Consolation of the Pharmaceutical industry has also led to chronic shortages of generic, low cost drugs. But don't worry, we have a brand name replacement for only 18X more!

Bastards

Whilst, as a European, I have been known to criticize the US model ( :)) ) I have to say the UNC in Chapel Hill have been OUTSTANDING for my recent health issues (I collapsed with appendicitis resulting in an emergency appendectomy at the end of July and the CT scan found a bunch of suspect stuff - all now cleared ....). The medical far exceeded my expectations. The bureaucracy and the accounting are still painful.

So I was at a Wordpress conferecne in Baltimore last weekend and we had to make a flight to San Diego for a family emergency. Of course, I had my meds for the weekend, but not for an extende trip. Doc send script to San Diego. 20 generic pills $30.

I DID say I would pay, but what a rip off for generic, simple drugs.

After the revolution.........

Oct 8, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #39,688 of 150,892
Whilst, as a European, I have been known to criticize the US model ( :)) ) I have to say the UNC in Chapel Hill have been OUTSTANDING for my recent health issues (I collapsed with appendicitis resulting in an emergency appendectomy at the end of July and the CT scan found a bunch of suspect stuff - all now cleared ....). The medical far exceeded my expectations. The bureaucracy and the accounting are still painful.

So I was at a Wordpress conferecne in Baltimore last weekend and we had to make a flight to San Diego for a family emergency. Of course, I had my meds for the weekend, but not for an extende trip. Doc send script to San Diego. 20 generic pills $30.

I DID say I would pay, but what a rip off for generic, simple drugs.

After the revolution.........
The US system is good at dealing with emergency situations. Stems from experience with wounded in wartime. R. Adams Crowly's thoughts on the matter are a good read.

The US system is poor at dealing with ground floor issues and not paying now to pay a lot more later.

Oct 8, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #39,689 of 150,892
Yesss!! Well done! That is how daddies should be! Generous with HiFi, i am aiming for the same!
:) Daughter built and configured her own Pi/touchscreen streamer -- she codes for a living and loves tinkering with hardware and software. When I was there in August, we were looking at whether her streamer could run piCorePlayer rather than whatever she was running then (a distro/player I can't recall now), with LMS running on her NAS. We messed around for several hours, kind of worked, but her Pi touchscreen is not quite standard and touch registration was not good.

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #39,690 of 150,892

I just watched the Ken Burns documentary on the Mayo Clinic, there is some hope in medicine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back