Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 20, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #38,491 of 150,464
I'm thinking that most of us assumed there would be a release this week, because why else would he mention it. But we know what ass u me stands for..... I try to avoid it, but it still gets me once in awhile.
Nice we are all exited makes part of fun. Not many companies let you ‘in’ like Schiit Audio does. Of course patience is a requirement:ksc75smile:

Sep 20, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #38,492 of 150,464
I'm curious to hear your yggy + hegel + kef ref setup. I'm sure they sound amazing!
Well, if you ever come to the SF Bay Area, you are welcome to come take a listen. As I said, we placed speakers and subs and adjusted subs with some rough calculations and hearing (I worked with an AV installer guy because we needed to get cabling into walls etc), but some day I'm going to get the right software/instrumentation to measure frequency response in the listening area and tweak the adjustments. Just too busy listening to new music and with the rest of my life to do that now.

Sep 20, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #38,493 of 150,464
Well, if you ever come to the SF Bay Area, you are welcome to come take a listen. As I said, we placed speakers and subs and adjusted subs with some rough calculations and hearing (I worked with an AV installer guy because we needed to get cabling into walls etc), but some day I'm going to get the right software/instrumentation to measure frequency response in the listening area and tweak the adjustments. Just too busy listening to new music and with the rest of my life to do that now.
Use Sonarworks and after you can still use the correction: pay one get two:beerchug:

Sep 20, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #38,494 of 150,464
It's Wednesday night and still no announcement. Why is Jason being such a DAC tease?

Patience grasshopper...

This buzz is smart marketing, eh. As soon as something’s dropped, I’ll go scurrying to my other newsgroups & FB and chitter away.

I'm a tube virgin. My basic takeaway is that tubes are like bacon. They make everything better, and why have a slice of bacon with your eggs, when you can have bacon in your eggs, 3 slices on the side, and a piece of bacon stuck vertically in your caesar.

Caesar recipe below for those who don't know....{snip}......

Bacon. Some like it crispy... some like it chewy. I could never get into Caesars. Heh, your shiny-breakfast-in-a-glass made me smile.

Eloquently stated!

Well... thank you. In truth, when I drink a lot of caffeine, far too late in the evening, such pedantic run-away blathers can spontaneously unfold
Nope, you keep posting that detail. It educates & challenges my understanding.
Yes, At least one.

And... 100th post!
+1, eh.
Take the "H" away.
There's no need for it.
Being kind & assertive. I have to practice it daily!
???

Lyr 3 still shows to be the latest for me...

If Schiit releases a ModiMB-Lyr2 hybrid... I’m in big trouble with the wife (buy buy bye).

Wait for the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest.
I bet you there will be a first production SOL on the Shiit table.

Good call.

He hasn't been on the site, at least logged in since Monday night. So I'm sure he's ok. He doesn't strike me as the type to get swayed or pressured by the masses. They will release it when they and the products are ready.

...a delicate dance of informing his schiitheads & selling audio equipment. I remember the dramas I witnessed on the (Yves Veggie Cuisine) production floors & order picking. Shudder.
:ksc75smile:

Sep 20, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #38,495 of 150,464
Why would you need water poles?
...god I love the internet! It reminds me we’re scattered all over the globe. ‘Hydro poles’ is slang for wood utility poles my supplier plants to string high-voltage wires to my home. Canada has a lot of hydroelectric power generation... and being the hosers that we are, call them hydro poles. Hydro One is the provincial monopoly that provides electrical energy to our grid.

Of course, if you’re yanking my chain, that’s okay too. I answer student questions all day.

Sep 20, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #38,496 of 150,464
One day i am going to try tubes, perhaps the Lyr is a good start
Honestly, the doggone Vali 2 is a very good start as well! I have it and the Lyr 3, and love both...

Sep 20, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #38,497 of 150,464
...god I love the internet! It reminds me we’re scattered all over the globe. ‘Hydro poles’ is slang for wood utility poles my supplier plants to string high-voltage wires to my home. Canada has a lot of hydroelectric power generation... and being the hosers that we are, call them hydro poles. Hydro One is the provincial monopoly that provides electrical energy to our grid.

Of course, if you’re yanking my chain, that’s okay too. I answer student questions all day.

Guilty, I work with a lot of Canadians these days ehh... I just like hearing it explained :wink:

Although the first time I worked with one was aboot 15 years ago, I learned a LOT of Canadian slang/lingo from that guy...

Sep 20, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #38,499 of 150,464
...while we’re waiting for the BIG product reveal (and I wait for my critters to hand something in so I can assess it):
When you mean decay reactors, you’re referring to units like radioisotope thermoelectric generators, right? I’ve also gathered the Soviet Union also dabbled with such (shielded?) devices on isolated stations.

I joke with my spouse that since we have to go off the grid at our (retirement) woodlot, that there’s some nifty self-contained GADGETS I could pick up and set up in the back-yard, behind the henhouse. I’ve heard rumours of such devices being available for isolated terrestrial oil rigs. I’m sure there’s a municipal building permit for that (seriously, it’ll cost us $50-70000 CDN to bring hydro poles to our lot... ah, Hydro One [provincial agency]).

==== ok, I’m done === back to being a public servant ===

For a fraction of that money you could put in a 30 kW solar power system. That's a ton of money!

Sep 20, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #38,500 of 150,464
...while we’re waiting for the BIG product reveal (and I wait for my critters to hand something in so I can assess it):
When you mean decay reactors, you’re referring to units like radioisotope thermoelectric generators, right? I’ve also gathered the Soviet Union also dabbled with such (shielded?) devices on isolated stations.

I joke with my spouse that since we have to go off the grid at our (retirement) woodlot, that there’s some nifty self-contained GADGETS I could pick up and set up in the back-yard, behind the henhouse. I’ve heard rumours of such devices being available for isolated terrestrial oil rigs. I’m sure there’s a municipal building permit for that (seriously, it’ll cost us $50-70000 CDN to bring hydro poles to our lot... ah, Hydro One [provincial agency]).

==== ok, I’m done === back to being a public servant ===

Also, the soviets were notoriously bad about properly shielding their RTGs, and the abandoned ones left after the collapse of the Soviet Union were often scavenged for metal. :astonished:

Sep 20, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #38,501 of 150,464
some day I'm going to get the right software/instrumentation to measure frequency response in the listening area and tweak the adjustments
You already have the hard- and software.
It's on top of your shoulders in one nice round package.

Sep 20, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #38,503 of 150,464
There are a lot of truisms about tube amplification which are either not universally true, or are fundamentally untrue. The "tubes add warmth" idea is *at best* only a partially/sometimes meaningfully descriptive statement.
Tube amplification *can* sound extremely transparent and "fast", producing many of the same virtues most normally attributed to high-quality solid-state amplification.

Warmth to me is the quick and easy way of talking about tubes but like many audio terms it is pretty subjective and an attempt at describing a type of sound. It is also a term many have heard and recognize so I tend to use it in short responses.

Sep 20, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #38,505 of 150,464
saw The The last night, sound was stripped down not great, this hobby might be setting up to high expectations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back