Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 26, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #31,922 of 153,233
I also like the Valhalla 2 and constantly use the pre-amp out into other tube devices if I am not just using it as an amp.

Apr 26, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #31,924 of 153,233
And, as further proof that life is never dull, it looks like our FedEx account got hijacked and used for a whole lot of third-party shipments (something we don't do), and, as a result, has been shut down.

Like, shut down. No warning, no calls, no "hey, why are you guys sending all these wacky packages everywhere all of a sudden," they just sat on their asses for 3 weeks and let it happen, then shut us down. Again, without notification. This is a company that has no problem calling us when they think we're asking for too many envelopes or shipper pouches. Buttheads.

So, if you see UPS up on the site for a while, that's the reason why. We'll see if FedEx comes back or not.

Sorry to derail us further; I'm still interested in amplifier plan feedback, but the FedEx thing is something that will be causing Alex some pain in the near-term.

yay, i ordered a Jothunheim with passive phone at april 24th and chose fedex :) good timing on my side :/

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #31,925 of 153,233
Tom - do you have a Freya?

Nope but that would probably be the next piece I buy after I get the Lyr 2 from a gentleman on here.

I do run several pieces in balanced mode so such a pre-amp makes sense to me. Now RCB if you secretly take up a collection for me I could leave you Valentine in my will. I would throw in a case of good caviar so he does not bite your leg often.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #31,926 of 153,233
yay, i ordered a Jothunheim with passive phone at april 24th and chose fedex :) good timing on my side :/

Contact orders@schiit.com if they haven't already contacted you. We'll have to ship USPS or UPS for now.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 26, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #31,927 of 153,233
@Jason Stoddard

Jason - Have you thought about doing a 2.1 crossover unit?

I have my Jotunheim connected to a miniDSP at the moment, but it's not a pretty solution. I always like to run my desktop speakers with a sub and most of the solutions leaving me wanting something a little nicer looking.

With a x-over the low frequency signal does not go to the power amp driving the main speakers, nor are they trying to reproduce the very low frequencies that are outside of their reproduction capability. Properly set up this relieves the amp of trying to drive the lowest frequency which require the most power, thereby saving the power in the amp for the upper range, affording greater dynamic range and headroom. On the speaker side relieving the main speaker from the lowest frequencies allows the woofer(s) from having to try to reproduce frequencies they have difficulty with, which often increases articulation of the mid-bass and upper-bass/lower-midrange.

More simply put: done right it can sound better.

A couple of quick comments:

1. On the active crossover, yep, I've thought about it, but I think it is WAY too niche for us. Niche is fine, built-for-the-3-people-who-really-really-really-want-it is a whole 'nother thing. Sumo did an active crossover in the era before commonly available powered subs with integrated crossovers, and it wasn't exactly a ball of fire on the sales end. I think it's gonna be 10000x worse today.

2. On FedEx/UPS/Canada, yeah, I hear you. I'd rather use FedEx, and I hope it's sorted. But the way they've treated this is making me want to Hulk out. Time to go hiking for a while and chill.

3. On Pietro's bike, I was too busy to comment, but words can't express how thrilled I am that the community pulled together for him in such an amazing way. Seriously, guys, in the end it doesn't come down to how shiny the chassis, how hot the tubes, how many bits or taps in the DAC, how perfect the provenance of the recording; value the great people in your life and spend time with them.

I'd go for a Schiit 2.1 X-over. I've got a set of bookshelf speakers that needed some low down assistance. The amp I've got on the case is a very simple 2ch unit (ca. the 90s / noughties - Musical Fidelity XA-2).

Scoped the market and it was either drop stupid money, go DIY, buy an amp with LFE, use the active subs BS x-over, upscale complexity and go a mini DSP or (what I ended up doing) grabbing a Rolls SX45.

The big drawback of the SX45 is that it's buttfugly. Does the job for my ears and gives me the freq control I was looking for but I'd be more than happy to slot a sweet piece of Schiit into its place to maintain Schiit stack style aesthetics.

Just sayin'.

@Jason Stoddard , you might actually find there are at least 4+ people out there keen for something like this.

Apr 26, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #31,928 of 153,233
If it ever comes to pass.
This seems kind of subliminal to me.

If you build it they will come. I have to agree with the sentiment "it has to have something that Vidar doesn't" ...so it has it's it's own sweet flavor. People will buy both. Cuz that's what keeps it interesting.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #31,929 of 153,233
One thing I would like to see on the pre's like Freya and Saga, is a fixed level output, such as a tape out. It would make adding one of your hp amps so much easier. So one could easily listen to their hp's when not using the speaker system. To have all of their sources available without unplugging and plugging would be so nice. I'm mostly a speaker guy and would love that feature.

Apr 26, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #31,930 of 153,233
I do run several pieces in balanced mode so such a pre-amp makes sense to me. Now RCB if you secretly take up a collection for me I could leave you Valentine in my will. I would throw in a case of good caviar so he does not bite your leg often.
Actually been there and done that! Ask Pietro.
I'll take the Beluga but pass on the cat, thx anyhow :)

Apr 26, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #31,931 of 153,233
Probably a naive question, but why the need for a separate crossover with a sub? I just put the crossover adjustment on the sub to where the main speakers start to roll off.

If you can adjust the frequency that the subwoofer overlaps with the mains and get the phase and/or timing right then the sound is amazing. The bass is more precise and the mains sound clearer and more dynamic.

Mind you, it took me many MANY moons to get it right but I wouldn't change it for the world now. Well, maybe for some even more powerful subwoofers :wink:

Apr 26, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #31,932 of 153,233
How about an 845 based class A power amp :wink:

Could get to 20 watts per channel and would make the H/Sing simpler..

Apr 26, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #31,933 of 153,233
Jason, for the Ragnarok 2 you could put dual balanced / SE headphone outputs so that 2 people could listen to music or watch movies together late at night without disturbing the kids or neighbours. But they'd be able to do this using the same type of output, so there'd be a total of 4 headphone outputs - 2 SE, 2 balanced.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #31,934 of 153,233
Need some feedback on Project Ortmeter.
No idea how this will post since I am on my phone.

All comments, good and bad welcome.
Obviously it didn't post at all. Let's try again. Please click the attached pdf to view. Could someone let me know if this works?
Visio-enclosure_template.pdf

Attachments

• Visio-enclosure_template.pdf
    77.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back