Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 29, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #30,938 of 150,069
Thank you for the floor.....

I do think most musicians wear their IEM's as monitors on stage. It's daft not to do so.
I also think IEM's can be used in various safe ways.
In my view everyone here knows (or should know) the limitations of their hearing and how/why be careful with it.
I think most of us here do and that's why this discussion gets somewhat confused.
IEM's as monitors on stage are a blessing until you keep keep pushing that volume up and srcew your hearing.
I think Steve Ambrosius mainly points at this wrong use of IEM's and their dangers.
If one uses a sanding machine to brush ones teeth there will at some point be some inconveniences.

My warning about the dangers of IEM's lays in the invisible horrors of putting strange objects into places of the human body where said body can and will be harmed if not properly handled.
Every human ear will treat an IEM with the immediate flagging of abuse and as inflammation.
It would go too far to review all the nasties here but one can imagine the body (ear) will fight back.
It can't always do so and both roads lead to disaster.
The biggest problem we see in medical practice are those of inflammation, deformation, ingestion (yes by bacteria, fungi etc) of the outer ear canal and sometimes the inner ear.
Most IEM's have more bacteria (cultures) on them than a moderate toilet seat.
Most users do not clean them near enough and some do so in manners that too assault the ear.
The list is endless and terrifying.
My advice will always be (if possible) go for head phones and keep those clean too.
IEM's (as monitors) should (in my opinion) only be used by stage professionals or artist for pure cosmetic reasons.
Ask the wife if she ever forgot a tampon in the grotto's of darkness a few days too long.
Lot's of women die every year from those pesky things.

If you want to use IEM's please do so but at your own peril.
I only have an amateur view on the SQ but think head phones are far superior.

Thanks for posting this, Pietro. There are several points I hadn't considered.

Mar 29, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #30,939 of 150,069
Well, I finally received my Loki Mini today. After spending a couple of hours tweaking, I must say that I am very happy. While IMHO, the Hifiman HE400s cans are already pretty good, the additional, subtle tweaking has really allowed them to shine even more. A bump at 20Hz, slight dip at 400Hz and 8kHz and it's all good. While the improvement is subtle, it is noticeable. Doesn't really make itself known while listening, but when by-passed you feel like a something is missing. Exactly what I wanted!!! Highly recommended.

** Now that I've applied another Light Dims silver decal over the 'headlamp', I'm really looking forward to a deeper listening session tonight after wife and kids drift-off to dreamland. :D

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #30,940 of 150,069
.... [snip]…
First record I listened to was Wish You Were Here, which is my favorite album. ...[snip]… but either way I'm happy.
I need to listen to that CD again, hearing someone hork still makes me smile. For me? Echos is my choice...

Mar 30, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #30,942 of 150,069
Well, I finally received my Loki Mini today. After spending a couple of hours tweaking, I must say that I am very happy. While IMHO, the Hifiman HE400s cans are already pretty good, the additional, subtle tweaking has really allowed them to shine even more. A bump at 20Hz, slight dip at 400Hz and 8kHz and it's all good. While the improvement is subtle, it is noticeable. Doesn't really make itself known while listening, but when by-passed you feel like a little something is missing. Exactly what I wanted!!! Highly recommended.

** Now that I've applied another Light Dims silver decal over the 'headlamp', I'm really looking forward to a deeper listening session tonight after wife and kids drift-off to dreamland. :D

Also loving the Loki; worth the month wait and another +1 for Light Dims.

Mar 30, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #30,943 of 150,069
I really wish I could find those in The Netherlands.
So far no luck.

Hey Doc, If you need a set let me know I can get them on Amazon and mail them to you.

If interested PM me...

:)

Mar 30, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #30,945 of 150,069
Hey Doc, If you need a set let me know I can get them on Amazon and mail them to you.

If interested PM me...

:)
I hope those Amazon drones have enough fuel to redirect them over the Atlantic Ocean.

Oh.. I see you're from Florida.
Post service is done by NASA I suppose.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back