Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 23, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #30,721 of 150,084
Excellent find sir, well done!
It is one thing to learn some thing ...
FYI A sample of LED colour correction for you using "acrylic gems"
upload_2018-3-24_11-12-29.png

just remove a little silvering from the centre back of the "gem" and use a tiny amount of pva adhesive around the edge of the hole, let get tacky and push on.
Looks less blue IRL

intentionally bad photograph :)

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #30,726 of 150,084
Jason:

I would take a new loki if it had dual rca outs. Could you please consider this design? (I currently do not own anything with balanced outs)
I am interested in being able to take my modi multibit to both my receiver and my magni 3. I cant imagine that i am the only person that wants to use their dac to run into 2 different amps am I ??

OR....What are the thoughts on the sys backwards for this?? I would think that a dual rca out loki would serve a better purpose. I do not want 4 schiit boxes, 3 is plenty!!!

On a different point...Can't wait to read about the sol release and reviews??

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #30,727 of 150,084
Jason:

I would take a new loki if it had dual rca outs. Could you please consider this design? (I currently do not own anything with balanced outs)
I am interested in being able to take my modi multibit to both my receiver and my magni 3. I cant imagine that i am the only person that wants to use their dac to run into 2 different amps am I ??

OR....What are the thoughts on the sys backwards for this?? I would think that a dual rca out loki would serve a better purpose. I do not want 4 schiit boxes, 3 is plenty!!!

A good quality RCA splitter would work as a simpler solution.

Mar 23, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #30,728 of 150,084
Jason:

I use Y adaptors, works for me.
One pair in the S/PDIF coax to feed two DACs and one pair in Bimby output to feed Jot and speaker amp (Y adaptors from ebay ~ $1 each)

I preferred that to feeding speaker amp from Jot out or feeding Jot from speaker amp tape out.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #30,729 of 150,084
I tried splitter adapters....maybe I just got a bum one. Ordered 2 pairs. They degraded the sound and didn't sound right....I checked various places to make sure I hooked it up right....
So now I just run my dac to my receiver and run rca out my CD player to my magni 3. (Marantz 6005cd)
I like my speakers slightly better than headphones.
**edit A loki between them might be cool though

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #30,731 of 150,084
I use Y adaptors, works for me.
One pair in the S/PDIF coax to feed two DACs and one pair in Bimby output to feed Jot and speaker amp (Y adaptors from ebay ~ $1 each)

I preferred that to feeding speaker amp from Jot out or feeding Jot from speaker amp tape out.

hmmmmm, is that two parallel 75Ω resistances, 37.5Ω -- lol spdif has a high tolerance to just work, how well is the question

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #30,732 of 150,084
I tried splitter adapters....maybe I just got a bum one. Ordered 2 pairs. They degraded the sound and didn't sound right....I checked various places to make sure I hooked it up right....
So now I just run my dac to my receiver and run rca out my CD player to my magni 3. (Marantz 6005cd)
I like my speakers slightly better than headphones.
I use both of these, I tested both of them with an LCR meter through the frequency range 10-100kHz and they were <0.005 ohm and <10pF (much lower than a cable)

https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-adapter-male-female-assembly/dp/B0009MFRW0
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071DCN19S

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #30,733 of 150,084
No doubt have the $1249 Gungnir Multibit and $2399 Yggdrasil undercut sales of the $149 Loki. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not sure I understand what you're driving at--I'll admit I can be slow. I would think people with Gumby's and Yggy's who aren't all swept up in balanced hype could use a Loki Mini. I do. Just take the SE output from Gumby and run it to the SE input on the amp of your choice. No problem. My point was simply that if you have a Jot with a DAC board or any other DAC or amp combined in one box, there is no way with Schiit's present line-up to get Loki Mini between the DAC and the amp, neither SE or balanced. Thus the new modular boards that allow users to put DACs and amps together make it harder to use Loki Minis. Have I missed something? On another level, Schiit products are like potato chips, you can't eat just one. They sell one another until you hit the end of the line, Valhalla. I keep waiting for that product.

This could of course be fixed if Schiit just put inputs and output to processor loops on their kit like many pre-amps do. I'd like to see that in the future. They need to build in a way to use Loki Mini and Loki Ultimate. And any other analog processors or even GIANT VU add-on meters (@OldRoadToad ).

Mar 24, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #30,734 of 150,084
There are always going to be setup limitations to integrated gear. I think that is the reason why it took until now for schiit to embrace / give into the concept.

Mar 24, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #30,735 of 150,084
Hi Jason, big fan of yours, first time posting. I've been following your chapters and updates for a while, and just bought a Modi 2 Multibit and Saga to play in my bedroom. My question: The Lyr 3 with multibit seems like it could replace my Saga and Modi 2 Multi pretty easily if I don't need more than 1 or 2 inputs, which I don't.

Forgive my naivete on this, but all I'd end up losing is relay stepped volume control, remote control and more inputs, correct? Seems like I'd be getting more returning what I just ordered and getting this.

And thank you and Mr. Moffat for putting the industry on its head with these fantastic products. You've made it affordable to get serious, well engineered audio equipment.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back