Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 29, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #25,126 of 155,074
Jason already thought of this when he incorporated a passive and JFET mode. The nice thing about the Saga (and assuming Freya) is that it can be run without any tubes installed.

Of course, the primary reason I bought a Saga (and would upgrade to a Freya) is for toobz and MOAR toobz. But if you don't want to see them, just don't install them and use the alternate output modes.

Then I would have 4 unfilled holes in the top of the Freya. I would look at them every day and finally one day I would decide I had to put tubes in them. Then I would have to try another tube, then another, and then pretty soon I would be a tube roller. I don't want to go there. But you are certainly correct, I could just use Freya in the passive mode with no tubes.

Sep 29, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #25,129 of 155,074
I told her it was really necessary and apologized.
Now we're friends again.
She even posed for a new portrait.

Constanza.jpg

Sep 29, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #25,133 of 155,074
If I were Constanza I would schiit on your Schiit just on principle. Only on Yggy though out of consideration of being fed well, since the holes don't go through. Right in the middle of the cones, a magical sonic tweak.

I have been around cats enough to know that the expression on Constanza's face means she is not going to use the litter box for a week.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #25,134 of 155,074
Concur. I don't think Schiit would have shot the design in the foot that way. And the Schiit webpage says nothing like that.
Quoting from Freya Owner's Manual, pg. 5:
"2 Single-Ended Inputs. Freya offers three sets of balanced inputs. Connect your single-ended sources here using good RCA cables. Note: Freya does not convert single-ended to balanced, except when using the tube gain stage."

Sep 29, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #25,136 of 155,074
Hey guys,

Sorry to be scarce, but it's been a busy couple of weeks. We're heading for what you might call a "triple flusher." That is, we're introducing three new products:
[...]

Sorry for my late quoting, but I had to catch up first :wink:
[...]
My best guess is you're hinting at an equalizer here, but I don't know of course.
[...]
As a side note - and just for the fun of it, please don't shoot me:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: -, please let me try to guess the other two products: as for the third, I think the long awaited MP might finally be coming; and as for the first... maybe a Magni3 or an Asgard3?
Thanks, as always, for all your wonderful products!

Ha!
It looks like I should have bought some tickets for the lotto or play some game in Vegas that day instead! :sunglasses::wink:
By the way, Jason, great job with Loki (mini)! That's exactly what I was dreaming about in my post quoted above!
All the best to all the Schiit people!

Sep 29, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #25,137 of 155,074
Digital EQ hasn't been working for me either so the new Loki is very tempting. How does one physically stack a Loki sized component between a Bimby and a Lyr 2? Looks like I'm going to have to place the Loki on its side next to the mid-size Schiit stack given my lack of horizontal desk space. Jason, how about a Loki Midi with a couple more bands to match the mid-size components? This to go with Ableza's request for a Loki Maxi with possibly even more bands.

Sep 29, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #25,138 of 155,074
I believe it's the same architecture with a better power supply in the Bimby. Many folks have said they sound very similar.

The upgradeability of Bifrost hasn't been any value to me personally but would be for folks that started with the base model. FWIW, the specs are nearly identical as well -- THD & S/N slightly better on Bimby and IMD better on the Mimby.

Who knows, maybe I'll just buy the Mimby for work and keep the Bimby. I can always create another listening station in another room! :L3000:

Careful that's what I said several years ago...now I have 4 separate listening stations.

Sep 29, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #25,139 of 155,074
Trying to get my head around this. Do the xlr-outputs stop working without the tubes? Or is the signal just not balanced but still available over xlr?
I found this elsewhere just in case someone else was left wondering toohoo:
"[F]ully balanced and differential all the way through. Run a balanced input into Freya, and it's never converted from balanced and back again. Run a single-ended input into Freya, and it's automatically converted to balanced by the inherent properties of the differential tube gain stage. Use the JFET buffer or passive options, though, and it remains single-ended."
Doesn`t say if the xlr-outs suddenly stop working but it`s a start.

And it seems Jason once said:
A couple more answers:
1. No 12V triggers.
2. No standby mode.
3. No power switch on remote.
4. No home theater bypass.
5. They don't run all that hot, chassis-wise, you don't need a ton of ventilation--but the Freya tubes should have a few inches above them on a rack at least. When LISST is available, you can always go that way to make it run cooler, or leave the tubes out entirely.
6. You get XLR and RCA output on Freya from all inputs and in all output modes, but SE input in passive mode and in buffer mode will result in SE output on the XLRs.
Hope that clears a few things up.
So that awnsers my question I guess. Thanks!

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #25,140 of 155,074
Quoting from Freya Owner's Manual, pg. 5:
"2 Single-Ended Inputs. Freya offers three sets of balanced inputs. Connect your single-ended sources here using good RCA cables. Note: Freya does not convert single-ended to balanced, except when using the tube gain stage."

Trying to get my head around this. Do the xlr-outputs stop working without the tubes? Or is the signal just not balanced but still available over xlr?

Read what I wrote again:

"There is no “SE to Balanced” conversion when not in tube gain mode. You get “Balanced to SE” conversion in all three available modes."

If you use Balanced in to Freya, you get Balanced or SE out in any of the three modes. If you use SE in to Freya, you get SE out only in Passive or JFET mode. You get Balanced or SE out in tube gain mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back