Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 27, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #23,806 of 149,328
I think if Schiit will ever make a spinner (which I seriously doubt) it would be transport only.
They have top-dacs in abundance to link it.

A transport is all we need. Perfect!

Aug 27, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #23,807 of 149,328
Either w OR 2*pi*f , not 2*pi*w (w is 2*pi*f)

or w/2pi (w is omega) = Hertz as you like it.

Four Wrongs.jpg

Aug 27, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #23,808 of 149,328
I think there are lots of good amps and DACs and even turntables spouting the Schiit ethsttic that not a reason to not produce a product.
I'm thinking by not being trapped by the peralisis of analisis there is still capturing a market share via lateral integration. A transport of the Schiit value ratio/estetic makes more sense to me in this regard then a turntable.
And I know the same five members here will tell me otherwise but I'm also guessing that Jason and Mike have their own resons and marketing strategies. And yes I've read all 1500 pages :wink:

I've looked at all the transports as best as one can online and none were obvious winners. There were a couple that stood out and they all had an onboard DAC :/

The one out of China Dodge somthing or other was a tube section DA section of all things seemed to have the best transport/pickup element although I think it was mostly a Philops unit no longer produced...

Aug 27, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #23,810 of 149,328
So, a pair of Vidar were delivered yesterday!

I've been running my Dynaudio C4's with them the last 30 hours or so, and the little bit that I've actually been able to sit and listen to them, they are holding their own vs. the JC1's!
I won't have time to do any back to back A/B testing until sometime after Labor day, so for now I'm just going off what I've been listening to the last year or so, and I'm amazed that such an affordable amp can hang with amps retailing over 6x as much!
When I went from the Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2 to the JC1's (apples to oranges, I know) the difference was immediately apparent, going from JC1's to Vidar they are really hard to pick anything out so far...

Aug 28, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #23,813 of 149,328
I think there are lots of good amps and DACs and even turntables spouting the Schiit ethsttic that not a reason to not produce a product.
I'm thinking by not being trapped by the peralisis of analisis there is still capturing a market share via lateral integration. A transport of the Schiit value ratio/estetic makes more sense to me in this regard then a turntable.
And I know the same five members here will tell me otherwise but I'm also guessing that Jason and Mike have their own resons and marketing strategies. And yes I've read all 1500 pages :wink:

I've looked at all the transports as best as one can online and none were obvious winners. There were a couple that stood out and they all had an onboard DAC :/

The one out of China Dodge somthing or other was a tube section DA section of all things seemed to have the best transport/pickup element although I think it was mostly a Philops unit no longer produced...

The world doesn’t need yet another Schiit-branded product for the sake of having another Schiit-branded product.

Aug 29, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #23,814 of 149,328
Audiophile confessions:

By today's standard I am not one I guess.

I think what all cables do at audio or power line frequencies can be described by L, C, and R. Making strange cable designs to intentionally manipulate frequency response is not making better cables just different cables.

I think most of the attributes ascribed by audiophiles and audio reviewers to purely electronic devices are imaginary, not all, but more than 50%. All DAC's and amps don't sound the same but they sound a hell of a lot more alike than most people are willing to admit.

I have a decent vinyl rig and use it sometimes. I think that digital has been more transparent to the source recording than vinyl for close to 20 years. The reason I own and buy vinyl is that digital transfers from an old source tape are transparent to a crappy source. Vinyl sounds better to people because cartridge frequency response is all over the place and every record player acts as a mechanical reverb. As an amateur mix engineer I can tell you a touch of reverb makes almost anything sound pleasing.

I think Whitney Houston was an extremely talented singer saddled with a lot of indifferent songs. Babyface made some seriously awesome sounding recordings for other artists. You want to impress your non audiophile friends? Toss the classical and jazz and put on some good old fashioned R&B. Check out the "Waiting to Exhale" soundtrack.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #23,815 of 149,328
Audiophile confessions:

I think what all cables do at audio or power line frequencies can be described by L, C, and R. Making strange cable designs to intentionally manipulate frequency response is not making better cables just different cables.

I think most of the attributes ascribed by audiophiles and audio reviewers to purely electronic devices are imaginary, not all, but more than 50%. All DAC's and amps don't sound the same but they sound a hell of a lot more alike than most people are willing to admit.

I have a decent vinyl rig and use it sometimes. I think that digital has been more transparent to the source recording than vinyl for close to 20 years. The reason I own and buy vinyl is that digital transfers from an old source tape are transparent to a crappy source. Vinyl sounds better to people because cartridge frequency response is all over the place and every record player acts as a mechanical reverb. As an amateur mix engineer I can tell you a touch of reverb makes almost anything sound pleasing.

I think Whitney Houston was an extremely talented singer saddled with a lot of indifferent songs. Babyface made some seriously awesome sounding recordings for other artists. You want to impress your non audiophile friends? Toss the classical and jazz on put on some good old fashioned R&B. Check out the "Waiting to Exhale" soundtrack.
Hey Robert,
Nice to see you again after a long time.

Aug 29, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #23,816 of 149,328
Audiophile confessions: Much to the amusement of my friends and family, I still buy CD's, although I don't listen to them. I rip the CD, and stream from a NAS or phone. Owning the music is important to me, and I like reading the booklet. I also subscribe to Spotify, but that's mostly to discover new music, which I buy on CD.

Aug 29, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #23,817 of 149,328
Audiophile confessions:

You could also add in:
Unshielded cables
Improperly shielded cables
Properly shielded cables
Balanced cables
Unbalanced cables

The thought of a cable intentionally manipulating frequency response does sound extremely bizarre to me!

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #23,819 of 149,328
You could also add in:
Unshielded cables
Improperly shielded cables
Properly shielded cables
Balanced cables
Unbalanced cables

The thought of a cable intentionally manipulating frequency response does sound extremely bizarre to me!
If you believe, as I do, that L, C, and R are all there is ( I guess proper shielding is in there too although companies sell completely unshielded cables that people love) then all those exotic designs do is present different inductances and capacitances to the signal, This is going to change frequency response. Many of us believe that fancy cables are just fixed tone controls. Even the audio mags that measure everything else don't measure cables. Why? It's either because they do nothing, or they do entirely predictable things. Either way, the cable guys don't want you to know. If you believe that there are mystery things about audio that science hasn't discovered but the cable companies have stumbled on to (it's possible but in my view not likely) then I am all wet. Being all wet saves me considerable money though, and I think my system sounds great.

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #23,820 of 149,328
Sonic differences between cables are influenced by four particular factors that affect the behaviour of the complex electron flow
– conductor metal
- insulation material
- geometry of the strand configuration
- the mechanical integrity of connectors (plugs and spade lugs).
Does the behaviour of the flow influences sound?
There is a lot of hocus pocus, yes sure.
But changing my speaker cables to cheap but high quality thins strand high grade copper changed my sound.
Is it better? It sounds better to me.
Cable Lapp Unitronic LIYY 2x 2.5 mm2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back