Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 23, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #23,761 of 150,428
Maybe set one up with a "dummy" record for the visual effect, but actually listen to a digital file?
That could be tried in the Schittr. Would be fun to see how many people say the sound is better.

A setup to exploit expectation bias. I like it! I'm sure that (at least) some listeners would be fooled.

Aug 23, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #23,764 of 150,428
Modi 2 Uber v Modi Multibit

Has anyone moved from a Modi 2 Uber to a Modi Multibit?

If so, did you feel it was worth it or should I just save up for a Gungnir Multibit?

Thanks

I went from the earlier Modi 2 Uber to the Modi Multibit and noticed a definite improvement. It was worth it to me.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #23,765 of 150,428
Modi 2 Uber v Modi Multibit

Has anyone moved from a Modi 2 Uber to a Modi Multibit?

If so, did you feel it was worth it or should I just save up for a Gungnir Multibit?

Thanks

I went from the earlier Modi 2 Uber to the Modi Multibit and noticed a definite improvement. It was worth it to me.

I also went from the ak4396 modi 2 Uber to the modi multibit and the improvement is pretty easy to hear. I have 2 other ak4490 dac/amp combos (fulla 2 and CEntrance dacport slim) and the multibit just sounds so much more natural in the treble. Cymbals are so distinctly realistic it's hard to go back to D/S.

Aug 24, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #23,766 of 150,428
The only issue I can see with going to Modi Multibit, is if you plan on using USB as your main source. To get gen 5 USB, you need Eitr ($179). That's putting the Modi Multibit + Eitr price pretty close to Bimby. Bimby is upgradeable, so kind of future proof (no clue when or if they'll release Multibit 2 versions in the future. Mimby is a throw away product where Bifrost and up can be upgraded. Just something to think about.

I'm saving for Gumby, but Mimby and Eitr will still be used in one of my systems for sure.

Aug 24, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #23,768 of 150,428
After a year of hemming and hawing, I finally pulled the trigger on a Freya to replace a passive 10k volume pot, the Emotive balanced Control Freak. I did not expect to hear much difference other than better channel balance throughout the range.
Boy, was I wrong!
My system is bubbleupnp->Volumio->gen5 USB gungnir mb->Freya->Ncore400 monos-> KEF LS/50s.

Somehow the Freya's passive mode is significantly better than the pot, and I have no explanation. There is a clarity and coherence to the sound that wasn't there before.
The JFET buffer is what I bought this preamp for, and is the clear winner in my mind, bringing more life and air to the music without the coloration of the tubes. I have never experienced such balanced and naturally reproduced sound before. Everything suddenly sounds "right".
I really wish I understood how this is such a massive leap over the cheap 10k pot, but it has transformed my system into a true hifi experience that was obviously held back by one piece of gear.

I'm impressed by this "entry level" preamp. Unfortunately, now I would have to spend many times what I have in order to upgrade further. Happily, I'm happy.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #23,769 of 150,428
After a year of hemming and hawing, I finally pulled the trigger on a Freya to replace a passive 10k volume pot, the Emotive balanced Control Freak. I did not expect to hear much difference other than better channel balance throughout the range.
Boy, was I wrong!
My system is bubbleupnp->Volumio->gen5 USB gungnir mb->Freya->Ncore400 monos-> KEF LS/50s.

Somehow the Freya's passive mode is significantly better than the pot, and I have no explanation. There is a clarity and coherence to the sound that wasn't there before.
The JFET buffer is what I bought this preamp for, and is the clear winner in my mind, bringing more life and air to the music without the coloration of the tubes. I have never experienced such balanced and naturally reproduced sound before. Everything suddenly sounds "right".
I really wish I understood how this is such a massive leap over the cheap 10k pot, but it has transformed my system into a true hifi experience that was obviously held back by one piece of gear.

I'm impressed by this "entry level" preamp. Unfortunately, now I would have to spend many times what I have in order to upgrade further. Happily, I'm happy.

I messed with passive preamps for a couple of years. A good active preamp will embarrass them every time.

Aug 24, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #23,770 of 150,428
I was able to hear the Vidar in my system last week. A friend ordered one and he listened on his SOTA system. The Vidar was also auditioned at another friend's place. It is a nice amp for the money but not a giant killer. Tone was very good as was the bass response, compared to my amp, an older McCormack DNA, it lacked air, sounding closed in, smaller sound stage. Well built and a solid performer for the money but again, IMHO, not a giant killer. We all discussed our impressions afterwards and described the same thing. We all have Yggys too, so while we have different speakers and preamps and very different rooms, the digital source was the same. Sorry to disappoint but just reporting what I heard.

Aug 24, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #23,771 of 150,428
I was able to hear the Vidar in my system last week. A friend ordered one and he listened on his SOTA system. The Vidar was also auditioned at another friend's place. It is a nice amp for the money but not a giant killer. Tone was very good as was the bass response, compared to my amp, an older McCormack DNA, it lacked air, sounding closed in, smaller sound stage. Well built and a solid performer for the money but again, IMHO, not a giant killer. We all discussed our impressions afterwards and described the same thing. We all have Yggys too, so while we have different speakers and preamps and very different rooms, the digital source was the same. Sorry to disappoint but just reporting what I heard.

The chum has just been thrown in the water folks...lol :deadhorse:

Aug 24, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #23,772 of 150,428
T1, HE500, HE400i, TH900, D7k, THXOO, HD800, HD650, HD600, X2......

I experienced the best upgrade in SQ by upgrading my DAC. You already have great headphones. I would start with the source.

Aug 24, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #23,774 of 150,428

As someone who is planning to buy a pair of Vidars, I appreciate an honest opinion even if it's not that favorable.

In order to put your comment in context, can you tell us what would be those "giant" amps?

Thanks a lot in advance :)

Aug 25, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #23,775 of 150,428

Were you using a single Vidar or a pair? IMHO this amp really shines as a monoblock.

After reading your impression I couldn't wait until my pair arrive Saturday to start my comparison, so I decided to do something crazy and run my right channel off the Vidar I have for my center and kept the JC1 on my left channel. After a couple A/B comparisons with a couple tracks imaging is pretty much identical with both setups, and so far the only thing that really stands out is the soundstage on the Vidar side might be a tiny bit smaller at times. Now I'm really looking forward to running 2 of them together!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back