Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 12, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #21,782 of 151,218
top.jpg

Jul 12, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #21,783 of 151,218
Here is the latest from Schiit if you like vinyl....the antithesis to the Yggy!!!

Jul 12, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #21,787 of 151,218
Hey all,

Midweek update:

1. Vidar production is in high gear now--tons of Vidars are going onto the burn racks, while more boards are being tested and chassis assembled in parallel. For those of you who are interested, the Vidar production process is not trivial, and it has accounted for most of the work I've done this week, as we work out glitches and get things spooled up.

It encompasses three lines, in addition to tech and burn-in:

First line: Bottom chassis prep—transformer, AC inlet, speaker terminal wiring, etc gets done on this line.
Second line: Heatsink prep—putting on clips and hardware (comparatively simple).
Third line: PCB and chassis assembly—mating the tested PCBs with the chassis and heatsinks

The process goes something like this:
  • Finished boards come in from the PCB assembly house
  • Boards are visually inspected by tech, programmed, powered up, all voltages and bias operation checked
  • Boards are stocked to bleed down before assembly
  • Boards go to the third line and are assembled into chassis
  • Chassis come back to tech for biasing and instrumented test
  • Chassis get tops put on and become final products
  • Final products go to burn-in for 24 hours
  • After burn, final products go for instrumented and listening test, and at this point they are assigned a serial number
  • From there, they go to cleaning, packing, and shipping
  • Then they go to you
So what does this mean in terms of ordering? To keep Alex and Amy from having a nervous breakdown, we will be opening ordering on Monday, July 17 (yeah, 2017, har har.) By this time, we should have good stock of Vidars and will be able to ship most orders immediately. As of this writing, I don't have photos of single Vidars, so excuse me if the beginning photo is a hack. Black Vidars will be available from the start.

(Fun facts: (1) we actually did not get Vidar foam and boxes until today, so we couldn't have shipped before today in any case, (2) the last production issue was in tightening down the thermal clip--our production guys didn't get the "tighten them down until you're tweaking the hell out of the wrench" memo--we caught this when we started biasing.)

2. We will also be announcing something else on Monday, which will also be available to order right away. More on that later.

3. I expect we'll have a Schiitshow next week to stream info about the new products--I'd expect that will be a Friday thing, though. More on that later as well.

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 12, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #21,788 of 151,218
Awesome news!! My birthday is July 16th so I will be ordering two as a birthday present from my wife! Yay!!!

Jul 12, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #21,790 of 151,218
I think it's pretty interesting that Stereophile magazine in the issue that just landed reviewed the Emotiva-XPA 3 which has been out a while.

It gave a stellar review and I'm wondering if this review was timed at the same time the Vidar is to be released. I love conspiracy theories.

Everyone knows there has been bad blood between Schiit and Stereophile where Atkinson claimed the Yggy obsolete .That was actually one of the most ridiculous
statements I've seen to date on audio equipment.

Jul 12, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #21,792 of 151,218
Hey all,

Midweek update:

1. Vidar production is in high gear now--tons of Vidars are going onto the burn racks, while more boards are being tested and chassis assembled in parallel. For those of you who are interested, the Vidar production process is not trivial, and it has accounted for most of the work I've done this week, as we work out glitches and get things spooled up.

It encompasses three lines, in addition to tech and burn-in:

First line: Bottom chassis prep—transformer, AC inlet, speaker terminal wiring, etc gets done on this line.
Second line: Heatsink prep—putting on clips and hardware (comparatively simple).
Third line: PCB and chassis assembly—mating the tested PCBs with the chassis and heatsinks

The process goes something like this:
  • Finished boards come in from the PCB assembly house
  • Boards are visually inspected by tech, programmed, powered up, all voltages and bias operation checked
  • Boards are stocked to bleed down before assembly
  • Boards go to the third line and are assembled into chassis
  • Chassis come back to tech for biasing and instrumented test
  • Chassis get tops put on and become final products
  • Final products go to burn-in for 24 hours
  • After burn, final products go for instrumented and listening test, and at this point they are assigned a serial number
  • From there, they go to cleaning, packing, and shipping
  • Then they go to you
So what does this mean in terms of ordering? To keep Alex and Amy from having a nervous breakdown, we will be opening ordering on Monday, July 17 (yeah, 2017, har har.) By this time, we should have good stock of Vidars and will be able to ship most orders immediately. As of this writing, I don't have photos of single Vidars, so excuse me if the beginning photo is a hack. Black Vidars will be available from the start.

(Fun facts: (1) we actually did not get Vidar foam and boxes until today, so we couldn't have shipped before today in any case, (2) the last production issue was in tightening down the thermal clip--our production guys didn't get the "tighten them down until you're tweaking the hell out of the wrench" memo--we caught this when we started biasing.)

2. We will also be announcing something else on Monday, which will also be available to order right away. More on that later.

3. I expect we'll have a Schiitshow next week to stream info about the new products--I'd expect that will be a Friday thing, though. More on that later as well.

All the best,
Jason

Mani's day and Frigg's day, a week to party, coinciding with The Festival of Baldur's rebirth after the summer solstice. Most certainly this was your plan all along!
:beerchug:

I think it's pretty interesting that Stereophile magazine in the issue that just landed reviewed the Emotiva-XPA 3 which has been out a while.

It gave a stellar review and I'm wondering if this review was timed at the same time the Vidar is to be released. I love conspiracy theories.

Everyone knows there has been bad blood between Schiit and Stereophile where Atkinson claimed the Yggy obsolete .That was actually one of the most ridiculous
statements I've seen to date on audio equipment.

Vidar, God of Revenge!

Jul 12, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #21,793 of 151,218
Great news! I've got my credit card number/address/etc in the notepad ready for pre-order to start!

Jul 12, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #21,795 of 151,218
Now what?
Is there anything to write about until Monday?

There will be the inevitable .... "If I can get a black Vidar, I want a black {insert name here} to match it...." discussions :)

I know I am now thinking if I want to get two black amps to maybe upgrade my two channel world.... hmmmmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back