Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 8, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #21,676 of 152,713
What kinda speakers are you guys all going to be running through your vidars? I literally have zero knowledge on speakers, just headphones. Is there a general consensus on good speakers that won't break the bank for someone just wetting their feet? I don't think there's even a speaker section here is there?

If you're just getting started, RBH R5bi is an excellent speaker for about $250, especially for nearfield usage. If you're looking to fill a space, Ascend CBM 170SE is also a great deal.

Jul 8, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #21,677 of 152,713
What kinda speakers are you guys all going to be running through your vidars? I literally have zero knowledge on speakers, just headphones. Is there a general consensus on good speakers that won't break the bank for someone just wetting their feet? I don't think there's even a speaker section here is there?

You should also look at the pre-loved market. There are some fantastic opportunities to pick up second hand speakers that could otherwise be above your budget if purchased new.

If you get bit by the bug, that may also negate/delay an upgrade in the short term !

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #21,678 of 152,713
Is Vidar gonna be the longest back order ever for schiit? The anticipation seems huge![/QUOT
While we wait for Vidar...

Has anyone else noticed that Schiit Waattz seem to be more powerful than regular watts? Neophytes might suppose that watts is watts, but it ain't necessarily so. Tube watts seem to drive many speakers far better than the same number of solid state watts. In the same manner, Ragnarok seems to punch way above its wpc weight class. Whether that's due to the circuit or just Jason being ultra-conservative in ratings, Rag has never been found wanting in my speakers system and it's been a long time since I had "only" 60wpc.

Which puts me in a quandary, since I really want to buy two Vidars and monobloc 'em, if only for the sheer machismo of the thing. (Cojones come in pairs, after all.) But given that my speakers are 90db efficient, and my room is less Carnegie Hall than hall closet in size, there's little rational case for 400wpc. Then again, how often is machismo rational?

The only thing to do is buy new less efficient speakers. That's rational, right? Any suggestions, guys? Floorstanders preferred, hopefully with at least one 12" woofer, and of course 8 ohms. Help me spend my money.

And Jason, for those of us on the dark side, will there be any black Vidars in the initial production run? Or will we just have to be patient? Although I've been waiting forever for a black Freya. (Great name for a Norwegian metal band - Black Freya...)
Having extra power allows for more headroom and allowing you to hear more detail at LOWER volumes . It's not about blowing your eardrums out , though some may differ on this one .

Jul 8, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #21,679 of 152,713
If you're just getting started, RBH R5bi is an excellent speaker for about $250, especially for nearfield usage. If you're looking to fill a space, Ascend CBM 170SE is also a great deal.

+1 For the Ascend Acoustics. I have them, but I hope to step up to their new Lunas to go with the Vidar.

Jul 9, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #21,682 of 152,713
What kinda speakers are you guys all going to be running through your vidars? I literally have zero knowledge on speakers, just headphones. Is there a general consensus on good speakers that won't break the bank for someone just wetting their feet?

Speaker thoughts, just getting started. (some of this will be familiar from headphone selection)
What type of music do you listen to and what do you listen for
How important is the price?
Are you keyed up and really want to use the Vidar?

My background: I listen primarily to classical music so use that as a point of reference. Also I am assuming a modest size room.

Frequency: To produce low frequencies well is expensive. It is relatively easy to produce a good speaker that has a flat frequency response down to 65 Hz, with sweet highs and with the lows and highs well integrated. The lowest note on a cello is 65 Hz. So e.g.if you primarily to chamber music, a speaker that is ‘flat to 65“ would be fine. (E.g. the old B&W DM 302s, you might be able to pick up a pair of those used for under $150...? They are beautiful for chamber music. And there are other such options, I just happen to love these B&Ws )

But “flat” to 65 is important. The lowest note on a double bass is about 40 Hz. So symphonic music played on those speakers will sound weak in the bass, the foundation is missing. To ‘compensate’ for that many makers of these cheaper speakers emphasize the bass from 120 HZ down to their ‘cutoff” around 65 Hz. The gives a greater sense of ‘heft’, but of course the problem is you can never hear chamber music correctly from such a speaker. Hence from my perspective, forget that type of speaker.
(One could add a sub-woofer to the above B&W type of speaker, but then one is no longer in the same price range!)

So if you listen to symphonic music you want a speaker that is at least ‘flat to 40“. (The lowest notes on a piano are about 30Hz, so even with this the low notes from a piano concerto/sonata will be lacking.) And that means more expense. If budget is a significant factor, consider powered speakers such as the Audio Engine 5+, $400 new (It has a built-in class A/B power amp.) Combine that with almost any Schiit headphone preamp and you have a nice system. The highs are not the sweetest (i.e. the very most accurate timbre on flutes, cymbals...), but to my hear it is very well balanced. You may need to equalize the bass down a few decibels in some listening rooms. For people with a limited budget, this is where I suggest they start with 2 channel. (Obviously there are other powered speakers in this price range.)

If you are hot to try a Vidar, you will neglect that paragraph. But even if you have only a modest Mumby>Vali 2 combo, think about it.

The expense comes when you want a speaker to bring the additional heft of being “flat to 30“ and/or you want something that offers more finesse and is flat to 40. To my ears that is where the Vidar enters, i.e. passive speakers are the order of the day, and/or sub-woofers. But now in my language we are talking about ‘breaking the bank’. And in this price range other responses already offer good suggestions.
edit:
Finally, ‘What do you listen for", or “where do you like to sit"?
If you sit in row C at the orchestra, the sound that reaches you ears will be different than if you sit in row M or the balcony. I prefer the balcony, which is to say I want the music to blend well and develop its full harmonic texture. People that like row C will be more concerned with impact and attack, a different texture, and hence will want a different type of speaker than I.

For what it’s worth. NF

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #21,684 of 152,713
Hi guys, first post here. Since the thread's been looking for speakers, I cannot but recommend you to look at ATC (pre-owned included). These are monsters of accuracy; if the Vidars are as gutsy as suggested you're in for a treat. But be warned, these are notoriously inefficient (@82db) so if the amping section is not good they will chew it up and spit it. Also, I believe you'd be surprised with what their bookshelf speakers can do on a good source. Personally I have long ended up with and enjoyed immensely their pinnacle bookshelf on the classic line, the ATC SCM20sl (see my signature); for a quasi small to large room and their price point IMHO they're a major acquisition. But their entry series is a force to be reckoned with, at least in terms of linearity and value for money.

On a different note, which Schiit Multibit DAC do you think would be directly comparable to my Meridian Explorer 2? I'm dying to get in on Schiit goods but all my research keeps pointing out in the end that Yggdrasil might just as well be the best value for money proposition on the line!!! To my detriment, I won't be able to raise the funds in the foreseeable future...

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #21,685 of 152,713
Hi guys, first post here. Since the thread's been looking for speakers, I cannot but recommend you to look at ATC (pre-owned included). These are monsters of accuracy; if the Vidars are as gutsy as suggested you're in for a treat. But be warned, these are notoriously inefficient (@82db) so if the amping section is not good they will chew it up and spit it. Also, I believe you'd be surprised with what their bookshelf speakers can do on a good source. Personally I have long ended up with and enjoyed immensely their pinnacle bookshelf on the classic line, the ATC SCM20sl (see my signature); for a quasi small to large room and their price point IMHO they're a major acquisition. But their entry series is a force to be reckoned with, at least in terms of linearity and value for money.

On a different note, which Schiit Multibit DAC do you think would be directly comparable to my Meridian Explorer 2? I'm dying to get in on Schiit goods but all my research keeps pointing out in the end that Yggdrasil might just as well be the best value for money proposition on the line!!! To my detriment, I won't be able to raise the funds in the foreseeable future...
The Gungnir Mulibit is the best value for the money in my opinion. You get 95% of the Yggdrasil, for half of the price. I listen to 16/44 most of the time; so those two extra bits of resolution don't matter to me much.I have the Gungnir, and there is no way I would ever get rid of it. The soundstage, and tone is so right, that it feels like you can get up and walk around in the soundstage.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #21,686 of 152,713
The Gungnir Mulibit is the best value for the money in my opinion. You get 95% of the Yggdrasil, for half of the price. I listen to 16/44 most of the time; so those two extra bits of resolution don't matter to me much.I have the Gungnir, and there is no way I would ever get rid of it. The soundstage, and tone is so right, that it feels like you can get up and walk around in the soundstage.
This is simply not true. There's a distinct difference between the GM and Yggy. Also on 16/44 files. On the other hand you're right. The GM is the best buck for the money.

Jul 9, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #21,687 of 152,713
My speaker recommendation is Spatial. Efficient speakers, but can handle higher powered SS amps. A single Vidar would drive them beautifully.

Jul 9, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #21,689 of 152,713
This is simply not true. There's a distinct difference between the GM and Yggy. Also on 16/44 files. On the other hand you're right. The GM is the best buck for the money.
We'll have to disagree on this one. Even Jason says that the difference between the Yggy and the Gumby are minor. The difference I did hear, was the Gumby was more musical, and the Yggy was more analytical. To be fair, I do have a hard time hearing the difference between 16/44 and 24/96. Cheers.
P.S. I am strictly two channel. I don't do headphones.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #21,690 of 152,713
Given that the Vidars were first publicly demo'd with Salk speakers, one other range of speakers that should be considered are Philharmonic Audio. They are close cousins to the Salk range, as the designer/owner of Phil Audio has major input into the crossovers used by Salk.

I have an almost all-Schiit stack (Gumby, Freya) coupled with the top end Phil 3 speakers. RAAL & BG ribbons in an open baffle, Scanspeak Revelator woofer in a transmission line. Wonderful sound, fantastic value. I couldn't wait for the Vidars, but will be keeping a close eye on user reviews of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back