Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 8, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #21,661 of 150,420
Which puts me in a quandary, since I really want to buy two Vidars and monobloc 'em, if only for the sheer machismo of the thing. (Cojones come in pairs, after all.) But given that my speakers are 90db efficient, and my room is less Carnegie Hall than hall closet in size, there's little rational case for 400wpc. Then again, how often is machismo rational?

The only thing to do is buy new less efficient speakers. That's rational, right? Any suggestions, guys? Floorstanders preferred, hopefully with at least one 12" woofer, and of course 8 ohms. Help me spend my money.
How about these: http://www.salksound.com/available-list.php?id=4
Here are the specs on them: http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=SoundScape+10

Jul 8, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #21,662 of 150,420
And Jason, for those of us on the dark side, will there be any black Vidars in the initial production run? Or will we just have to be patient? Although I've been waiting forever for a black Freya. (Great name for a Norwegian metal band - Black Freya...)

I read somewhere the Vidar will be available in black too.

Jul 8, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #21,663 of 150,420
While we wait for Vidar...

Has anyone else noticed that Schiit Waattz seem to be more powerful than regular watts? Neophytes might suppose that watts is watts, but it ain't necessarily so. Tube watts seem to drive many speakers far better than the same number of solid state watts. In the same manner, Ragnarok seems to punch way above its wpc weight class. Whether that's due to the circuit or just Jason being ultra-conservative in ratings, Rag has never been found wanting in my speakers system and it's been a long time since I had "only" 60wpc.

Which puts me in a quandary, since I really want to buy two Vidars and monobloc 'em, if only for the sheer machismo of the thing. (Cojones come in pairs, after all.) But given that my speakers are 90db efficient, and my room is less Carnegie Hall than hall closet in size, there's little rational case for 400wpc. Then again, how often is machismo rational?

The only thing to do is buy new less efficient speakers. That's rational, right? Any suggestions, guys? Floorstanders preferred, hopefully with at least one 12" woofer, and of course 8 ohms. Help me spend my money.

And Jason, for those of us on the dark side, will there be any black Vidars in the initial production run? Or will we just have to be patient? Although I've been waiting forever for a black Freya. (Great name for a Norwegian metal band - Black Freya...)

If you like your current speakers, forget new ones. If you really want to spend $1400 have two options for you..
1- Buy one Vidar and $700 worth of new music
2- buy two vidars and send one to me :)

Jul 8, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #21,664 of 150,420
If you like your current speakers, forget new ones. If you really want to spend $1400 have two options for you..
1- Buy one Vidar and $700 worth of new music
I can't :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:enough buying new music, especially newly composed/performed music by small-label artists who depend on our support.

Jul 8, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #21,665 of 150,420
I can't :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:enough buying new music, especially newly composed/performed music by small-label artists who depend on our support.
Then listen to Adam Ben Ezra; Pin Drop. Acoustic bass and multiple other instruments in fascinating jazz/fusion/world.
Amazing really.

Jul 8, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #21,666 of 150,420
Then listen to Adam Ben Ezra; Pin Drop. Acoustic bass and multiple other instruments in fascinating jazz/fusion/world.
Amazing really.
Downloading now, thanks for the suggestion!

Jul 8, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #21,667 of 150,420
What kinda speakers are you guys all going to be running through your vidars? I literally have zero knowledge on speakers, just headphones. Is there a general consensus on good speakers that won't break the bank for someone just wetting their feet? I don't think there's even a speaker section here is there?

Jul 8, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #21,668 of 150,420
What kinda speakers are you guys all going to be running through your vidars? I literally have zero knowledge on speakers, just headphones. Is there a general consensus on good speakers that won't break the bank for someone just wetting their feet? I don't think there's even a speaker section here is there?
Search this thread for speakers and you'll see many mentioned.

Jul 8, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #21,669 of 150,420
Don't stop there. Go full active with 4 Vidar monoblocks. You'll need a second Yggdrasil as well. You know you want to do it.

Jul 8, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #21,670 of 150,420
Several guys mentioned Tannoy XT 8Fs here and I gave them a try. Love them! Definitely worth the money, and more. Although you do have to check if your listening room is big enough..
That's just my two cents.

Jul 8, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #21,671 of 150,420

I have a pair of TektonDesign Double Impact speakers coming....

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #21,672 of 150,420
Jul 8, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #21,673 of 150,420
What colour have you ordered Scott ?

I went with the standard black soft gloss finish. I did order the internal upgrade package.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #21,674 of 150,420

Elacs should be a popular and safe choice.

Jul 8, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #21,675 of 150,420

The Danish company Dali makes some great speakers for a reasonable amount of money, the Zensor series is very affordable but very exciting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back