Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 29, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #21,436 of 151,394
Some news from the assembly house: Vidar boards are supposed to be dropping on Friday (that is, tomorrow). So, with qualification, assembly, burn-in and test, if all goes well, we'll be shipping sometime next week.

Please note that a business week has 5 days and ends on Friday, and that normal manufacturing-business-type humans do not work on weekends, so the rational assumption is the END of the week. Also note the "supposed to be" and "if all goes well." Also note, I will probably regret posting this.

While it is just fine and dandy to desire some thing, there is no real reason to champ so at the digital bit. Vidar will arrive when it is ready for you. Consider that all this time will allow all the little Darth Vidars of the world to pre-compose (vs decompose) flowery prose and sonnets galore to describe the Musicalifragelisticexpealidociousness® of it all. . . Ad infinitum, ad nauseam. Ad hoc.

Etcetera. etcetera. etcetera (homage to "The King and I").

Jun 29, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #21,437 of 151,394
Jason,
thanks for the update! I'm pretty persuaded that Vidar is gonna be another winner for Schiit, and this is what I wish you. I'm definitely going to get one in some months (I just can't now), so I'd be very interested in any additional technical details you'd be wanting to give us in your following chapters (whenever you'll find the time to write them, of course), besides what you've already told us in your past chapters.
Now, this is my question: are you going to send a Vidar (or perhaps a Freya/Saga/Vidar 'combo') to any audiophile magazine for review purposes? Or is this something you haven't already decided? And what about that 'obsolete' magazine? Would they be going to have a Vidar to review, after all they did with their Yggdrasil review (or, in particular, the measurements section of their review)?

Obsolete magazine will have to explain to their readership why a $699 power amp (or 2 as monoblocks) sounds as good as something that runs 10x or more that price. Good luck with that, dead tree writers!

Jun 29, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #21,438 of 151,394
Just a comment regarding preamplifiers and remotes.
I guess most people agree that having a remote in the living room stereo system is very convenient.
The preamp can have a proper preamp, but most people find it useful to switch between inputs and control the volume, and here is the issue.
When everything was analogue it worked fine but now that some people would like a better DAC for the TV box, Playstation, maybe a music server, DAB, etc., something is missing. OK, I can get up and switch digital inputs in the DAC but a remote would be better, on the other hand I have 5 analogue inputs on the preamplifier that I don't use. I understand that a DAC like Yggdrasil should be just a DAC and that adding more stuff would probably contaminate the circuitry, but it would be useful to have something like a Bifrost Multibit (or Gungnir Multibit) with a wider selection of inputs a volume control and a remote (and why not a headphone output as well to watch TV when everyone is sleeping?). The Saga looks like the classic preamp and the Jotunheim is almost there but it is missing a remote and a better DAC. Or maybe a separate DAC with more inputs and a preamp/headamp (just with 2 or 3 analogue inputs to accommodate a separate or modular phono preamp) that could be both controlled with the same remote (the input selection would be a bit confusing...)?

It sounds like you need a remote controlled digital switch-box. The good news is, those are plentiful, and relatively inexpensive depending on the connections you want. If you want optical toslink, there are several (consumery) options that include a remote control on Amazon priced well under $50. If you're looking for spdif over RCA, BNC, AES/EBU, you'll need to take a gander over into the world of professional audio.

Something like this would work, although it is a bit pricey and visually unpleasant:
http://www.daleproaudio.com/p-4853-rdl-hr-dsx4-digital-audio-selector-aesebu-and-spdif.aspx

If Schiit Made a monolithic digital audio "interface" that took about five inputs including 2xUSB, toslink, Spdif over RCA, BNC, and AES/EBU, then had two outpus, AES/EBU and Spdif over RCA, plus a remote control, that would be REALLY cool. I don't know how practical that would be from a business standpoint, but the cool factor is most definitely there.

Jun 29, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #21,439 of 151,394
So I was hanging around at work when I saw some coincidental Schiit...
20170629_202308.jpg

Jun 29, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #21,440 of 151,394
Some news from the assembly house: Vidar boards are supposed to be dropping on Friday (that is, tomorrow). So, with qualification, assembly, burn-in and test, if all goes well, we'll be shipping sometime next week.

Please note that a business week has 5 days and ends on Friday, and that normal manufacturing-business-type humans do not work on weekends, so the rational assumption is the END of the week. Also note the "supposed to be" and "if all goes well." Also note, I will probably regret posting this.
The pre-order button on the Vidar is greyed out !

Jun 29, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #21,441 of 151,394
While it is just fine and dandy to desire some thing, there is no real reason to champ so at the digital bit. Vidar will arrive when it is ready for you. Consider that all this time will allow all the little Darth Vidars of the world to pre-compose (vs decompose) flowery prose and sonnets galore to describe the Musicalifragelisticexpealidociousness® of it all. . . Ad infinitum, ad nauseam. Ad hoc.

Etcetera. etcetera. etcetera (homage to "The King and I").

If Vidars had meters
Toads would sing and prance
But the faceplate's too small
No room for needles to dance

In homes Vidars will land
... sooner.....or later...
Speakers they will drive
And never will they labor

They're guaranteed to sound so sweet
Even Toads will be swept off their feet!

Jun 29, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #21,444 of 151,394
Since I haven't had time to write a chapter in a while, this will serve as a good kickoff to what could be called the "being too honest doesn't get you far in marketing" theory.

Here's the bottom line: sometimes we're too straightforward.

Examples:

2. We discuss the use of circuitry such as summers in balanced amps, and call out when we're using them. As a result, some people automatically think single-ended output on some of our products is "compromised." The reality is that everyone uses summing circuitry in the same application--they just don't mention it. The same people that have a problem with our summers don't have a problem with them in other applications--even if the entire "balanced" components sums to single-ended at the input, then re-converts to balanced output at the end. Which, in our opinion, is not a balanced component.

3. And finally, we tell you, honestly, when you'll hit the protection system in our amps. Here's the reality: no Class AB amp anywhere near Vidar's price will be rated for 4 ohm continuous RMS operation when run as a monoblock. None. Zero. Nada. Remember, we're talking 400W into 8 ohms mono here. Sure, we could be like everyone else, and say, "Yeah, it'll work," because, you know what? For most people it'll work fine. If you're not going to be running headbanging volume levels, it'll be fine. But if you turn it wayyyyyyyyy up, you will hit our protection system at some point. The amp will go "click," the lights will flash, and you'll have to turn it on and off again to reset it. This is, by definition, "safe." Whether or not you'll run into the protection enough to be irritating is something we can't predict.. So we won't rate continuous power into 4 ohms in monoblock mode.

However, there is a simple solution to this problem (if you have 4 ohm speakers): Just get ONE Vidar, which is fine with 4 ohm loads. One Vidar is MASSIVELY underrated in terms of power. It is STUPID how much power one Vidar has. For everyone considering two Vidars, here's a hint: start with one.

(Oh, and by the way, whenever a manufacturer makes a recommendation that actually reduces their sales potential, it's probably honest.)

"Oh, but then I can't use balanced input, boo hoo!" you cry. Well, you know what? Balanced ain't all that. Balanced does not make or break a system. Balanced is one part of the equation. And all of our DACs that have both balanced and single-ended outputs do SE right--as in, they sum the SE from balanced, thus preserving most of the benefits of balanced (using a single phase without summing is not as good, period.) And all of our products have single-ended outputs. So there's no problem hooking up any of our gear to Vidar.

And, another recommendation: Saga and one Vidar are an amazing combo. That's what I'll be using.

New Head-Fi website issues? I was looking at Jason's post and clicked on the reply, and it just posted a reply with no input from me.

Anyway, my question is related to Schiit balanced components and mainly Freya. I understand that the summed SE outputs on my Yggy aren't compromised in terms of SQ and that a single Vidar will probably provide plenty of power for my Salk HT2-TL speakers, but I want to understand how Yggy (or a Gumby) fits in with either a Saga or Freya, and either a single or pair of Vidars. I haven't seen what I'm about to ask explained anywhere yet:

Yggy balanced output is roughly double the voltage output of its SE outputs? If you're not taking advantage of that voltage doubling that your balanced Schiit DAC output provides, aren't you then just making your preamp or power work harder to make up for that lost voltage doubling? Or is it not that simple at all?

One thing Jason mentioned were the summing circuits on Yggy and Gumby - is there summing on Freya? Or, assuming balanced input, are the SE outputs on Freya just one leg of the output on each channel, or are they summed? If you are running tube gain mode on Freya, but SE output, are you essentially using only half of each 6SN7 tube, and the other half is just happily glowing without doing anything, or is the output summed in a meaningful way?

I guess my point is, if I already own a Yggy and a Freya, am I throwing away half of the voltage gain that each of them produces by running the Freya into a single Vidar, or is there more than enough voltage gain that it doesn't matter? Again, I'm not an EE. Or is the answer that it depends..,on your speakers and how freakin' loud you expect to play them?

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #21,445 of 151,394
If Vidars had meters
Toads would sing and prance
But the faceplate's too small
No room for needles to dance

In homes Vidars will land
... sooner.....or later...
Speakers they will drive
And never will they labor

They're guaranteed to sound so sweet
Even Toads will be swept off their feet!
You need to work in a line about power switches on the front panel. :)

Jun 30, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #21,447 of 151,394
Or is the answer that it depends..,on your speakers and how freakin' loud you expect to play them?

Mainly this,
at small signal levels the electronics are not usually working hard (same for pre-driver in power amp) as long as you have sufficient gain on one hand and sufficient headroom on the other you are basically OK.
As to whether balanced all or partway through that depends on the actual implementation - or alternatively doesn't care.
If you have Iggy and Freya and want to use Vidars as Monoblocks then balanced all the way would be great, if using one Vidar as 2 channel then you'll have to go single ended at some point - if you don't have a Freya then a Saga would do.

You need to work in a line about power switches on the front panel. :)

I turn off my Jot when leaving it for a while, and, I'm always having a problem as to which way to flick the switch, I don't know if it's because USA has down off standard (UK and Australia are usually down on) or if it's the reach around that disorientates me, but I usually try the wrong way first :frowning2:

Jun 30, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #21,448 of 151,394
You can always remember which way to flip it if you think about the Schiit gear getting "turned on". Get it? Okay, I'll leave...

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #21,449 of 151,394
You can always remember which to flip it if you think about the Schiit gear getting "turned on". Get it? Okay, I'll leave...

You mean, which way does your schiit flip when it gets turned on??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back