Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 29, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #21,421 of 155,196
Some news from the assembly house: Vidar boards are supposed to be dropping on Friday (that is, tomorrow). So, with qualification, assembly, burn-in and test, if all goes well, we'll be shipping sometime next week.

Please note that a business week has 5 days and ends on Friday, and that normal manufacturing-business-type humans do not work on weekends, so the rational assumption is the END of the week. Also note the "supposed to be" and "if all goes well." Also note, I will probably regret posting this.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 29, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #21,422 of 155,196
Some news from the assembly house: Vidar boards are supposed to be dropping on Friday (that is, tomorrow). So, with qualification, assembly, burn-in and test, if all goes well, we'll be shipping sometime next week.

Please note that a business week has 5 days and ends on Friday, and that normal manufacturing-business-type humans do not work on weekends, so the rational assumption is the END of the week. Also note the "supposed to be" and "if all goes well." Also note, I will probably regret posting this.
Does that take into account the short week next week for the 4th?

Jun 29, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #21,423 of 155,196

If you want to drive some people nuts, open up a "Pre-Order" option for Vidar on the website and for confirmation, say "Ships in 2017."

Jun 29, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #21,425 of 155,196

That's great news! Thank you for the update!!!

Jun 29, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #21,426 of 155,196

Don't forget Tuesday is a holiday and for most manufacturing/shipping operations, they have taken off Monday July 3 also. Just in case people get too excited

Jun 29, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #21,427 of 155,196
If you want to drive some people nuts, open up a "Pre-Order" option for Vidar on the website and for confirmation, say "Ships in 2017."

Mr. Capacitor, you should work writing horror scripts for Hollywood, it's pretty clear you have a well developed sadistic side :D

On topic...

I can't wait to see Vidar alive and kicking. I hope the reviews appear very shortly after it's released.

Jun 29, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #21,428 of 155,196

There's only one regret, that Schiit as a company didn't happen sooner!

A Schiitacular Schiitr 4th of July Show product launch with fireworks choreographed to music powered by Vidar would have been kool though.

Jun 29, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #21,429 of 155,196
Will we see some pre-release pics of the production board/case/etc some time during the weekend or early next week?

Jun 29, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #21,430 of 155,196
Just a comment regarding preamplifiers and remotes.
I guess most people agree that having a remote in the living room stereo system is very convenient.
The preamp can have a proper preamp, but most people find it useful to switch between inputs and control the volume, and here is the issue.
When everything was analogue it worked fine but now that some people would like a better DAC for the TV box, Playstation, maybe a music server, DAB, etc., something is missing. OK, I can get up and switch digital inputs in the DAC but a remote would be better, on the other hand I have 5 analogue inputs on the preamplifier that I don't use. I understand that a DAC like Yggdrasil should be just a DAC and that adding more stuff would probably contaminate the circuitry, but it would be useful to have something like a Bifrost Multibit (or Gungnir Multibit) with a wider selection of inputs a volume control and a remote (and why not a headphone output as well to watch TV when everyone is sleeping?). The Saga looks like the classic preamp and the Jotunheim is almost there but it is missing a remote and a better DAC. Or maybe a separate DAC with more inputs and a preamp/headamp (just with 2 or 3 analogue inputs to accommodate a separate or modular phono preamp) that could be both controlled with the same remote (the input selection would be a bit confusing...)?

Jun 29, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #21,432 of 155,196
Just a comment regarding preamplifiers and remotes.
I guess most people agree that having a remote in the living room stereo system is very convenient.
The preamp can have a proper preamp, but most people find it useful to switch between inputs and control the volume, and here is the issue.
When everything was analogue it worked fine but now that some people would like a better DAC for the TV box, Playstation, maybe a music server, DAB, etc., something is missing. OK, I can get up and switch digital inputs in the DAC but a remote would be better, on the other hand I have 5 analogue inputs on the preamplifier that I don't use. I understand that a DAC like Yggdrasil should be just a DAC and that adding more stuff would probably contaminate the circuitry, but it would be useful to have something like a Bifrost Multibit (or Gungnir Multibit) with a wider selection of inputs a volume control and a remote (and why not a headphone output as well to watch TV when everyone is sleeping?). The Saga looks like the classic preamp and the Jotunheim is almost there but it is missing a remote and a better DAC. Or maybe a separate DAC with more inputs and a preamp/headamp (just with 2 or 3 analogue inputs to accommodate a separate or modular phono preamp) that could be both controlled with the same remote (the input selection would be a bit confusing...)?

If they did all that it wouldn't be Schiit

JC

Jun 29, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #21,433 of 155,196

Congratulations! This seems very promising and it must feel good to be so close to the finish line.

Jun 29, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #21,435 of 155,196
Jason,
thanks for the update! I'm pretty persuaded that Vidar is gonna be another winner for Schiit, and this is what I wish you. I'm definitely going to get one in some months (I just can't now), so I'd be very interested in any additional technical details you'd be wanting to give us in your following chapters (whenever you'll find the time to write them, of course), besides what you've already told us in your past chapters.
Now, this is my question: are you going to send a Vidar (or perhaps a Freya/Saga/Vidar 'combo') to any audiophile magazine for review purposes? Or is this something you haven't already decided? And what about that 'obsolete' magazine? Would they be going to have a Vidar to review, after all they did with their Yggdrasil review (or, in particular, the measurements section of their review)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back