Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 23, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #21,256 of 149,751
Is "Tutu Revisited" really that good? It's $38 at Amazon...??? Yikes!

Thanks,
Larry

Yes, that's what I paid. Not easy to find that CD. It was recorded live in France but the CD is produced in Japan. The music is great - the trumpet player is superb, not exactly at Miles Davis' level but who is...

There's a used copy on Amazon for US$29. Probably won't beat that price.

Jun 23, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #21,257 of 149,751
Thanks...Ordered up "Night in Monte Carlo" for an additional taste of Mr. Miller! I really love Smooth Jazz...and one of my fav's is Boney James....every album he makes is great and very well recorded!

Cheers!

Larry - that's a great decision. Night in Monty Carlo is a really fine recording and lively music. Marcus kills it. BTW, this isn't exactly "smooth" jazz...

Jun 23, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #21,258 of 149,751
Is it not loud enough that one would need more power?
It isn't just about loudness. Adequate loudness can usually be achieved with only a modest amount of power. More power can provide tighter control over headphone/speaker drivers for more accurate following of the signal and faster transients. To make a car analogy, a more powerful engine will give you a higher top speed, but it could also make the car more responsive even for driving in the 0-40 mph range. The HD650 in particular benefits from more power (more so than most headphones).

Jun 23, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #21,259 of 149,751
Larry - that's a great decision. Night in Monty Carlo is a really fine recording and lively music. Marcus kills it. BTW, this isn't exactly "smooth" jazz...

RCBinTN,

Thanks for your post....I'll see if that is still available....I know it's not smooth jazz but the samples sounded interesting enough for me to give him a shot...I am hoping it's well recorded like Boney James is.

Sometimes I think I'd rather listen to a great recording than to an artist that I really like but their recording is not good...what a crazy hobby anyway...

Jun 23, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #21,260 of 149,751
RCBinTN,

Thanks for your post....I'll see if that is still available....I know it's not smooth jazz but the samples sounded interesting enough for me to give him a shot...I am hoping it's well recorded like Boney James is.

Sometimes I think I'd rather listen to a great recording than to an artist that I really like but their recording is not good...what a crazy hobby anyway...

Oh, sorry about that. I meant that Marcus doesn't play what I think of as "smooth jazz." Like Spyro Gyra or The Crusaders. He's more aggressive - which is great. The recordings are exceptional, as is Marcus' writing and band members. You'll love it, IMHO.

Cheers,
RCB

Jun 23, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #21,261 of 149,751
Thats really great stuff there Noah. Thank you for the thorough test. I hope it was as fun as it sounds.:wink: What tube do you burn in the vali?
I believe I'll go for the neat little Mimby +Vali 2 stack. That also leaves a little room in the budget. Perhaps for a little modding of the HD650. Is that a good idea or should I leave them as they are with this setup. Is there an overview of the mods and how they change the sound profile to be found somewhere?
His favourite year in music history is 1972, so I bet a little non-tubey tube sound will get him there right away. And I also get to try this setup myself which I have been eyeing for some time.

Currently I use stock tubes in my Schiit preamps. Within the next three months I expect to try some current production Tungsols + adaptors. For the single tube Vali 2 that should come to $35-$40, so I am not out to break the bank. And the timing depends on what Schiit comes up with in the meantime. I like to take my relaxed time in evaluating new equipment, not change a lot of things at once.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #21,262 of 149,751
Thanks...Ordered up "Night in Monte Carlo" for an additional taste of Mr. Miller! I really love Smooth Jazz...and one of my fav's is Boney James....every album he makes is great and very well recorded!
Cheers!
As much as I admire Miller for his supreme mastering of the bass. He has always a bit to "polished" for my taste. If you want to hear a bass magic funkateer who can sing and play with more grunt and P. FUNK you should check out Larry Graham. He played bass and sang in Sly and the family stone. But before that he was the one who invented slap bass. Playing in a small family church band they couldn't afford both a bassplayer and a drummer so Larry ended up playing both, on his bass. You will find his wildest stuff on the albums with his own group "Graham Central Station". You just have to overcome the crazy jehovas witnesses lyrics. He's the real deal.

I've been using a plain white USB printer cable for years now... I don't even remember when and where I've got it from.
Me to.

Jun 23, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #21,263 of 149,751
It isn't just about loudness. Adequate loudness can usually be achieved with only a modest amount of power. More power can provide tighter control over headphone/speaker drivers for more accurate following of the signal and faster transients. To make a car analogy, a more powerful engine will give you a higher top speed, but it could also make the car more responsive even for driving in the 0-40 mph range. The HD650 in particular benefits from more power (more so than most headphones).
Car analogies are not in scope. Tighter control is not achieved by power, it is by damping which is either mechanical and or by impedance ratios. Planar headphones do not require electrical damping as they are resistive, not reactive, impedance ratios only provide attenuation for such headphones.

Jun 23, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #21,264 of 149,751
Is it not loud enough that one would need more power?

6B6NIHi.jpg

Edit: Reeled him in!

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #21,268 of 149,751
Currently I use stock tubes in my Schiit preamps. Within the next three months I expect to try some current production Tungsols + adaptors. For the single tube Vali 2 that should come to $35-$40, so I am not out to break the bank. And the timing depends on what Schiit comes up with in the meantime. I like to take my relaxed time in evaluating new equipment, not change a lot of things at once.
Nice to know that it works straight out og the box. I also beleive in changing on thing /parameter at the time. Then I also know what to give him for christmas.
Looks like I landed on the Vali2 with a ModiMB for my bro. I'll probably get the jotunheim for my GungnirMB then we can compare and try out the possible combinations. Fun times ahead.
It was great to get all of your comparisons of the Schiit gear.
I miss a thread which does that. Discuss and compare all the different benefits, advantages/disadvantages, soundprofiles good/poor combinations of the different schiit gear. And with great combos of schiit with other gear outside the schiit foodchain.
Is there such a place?

Jun 24, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #21,269 of 149,751
Nice to know that it works straight out og the box. I also beleive in changing on thing /parameter at the time. Then I also know what to give him for christmas.
Looks like I landed on the Vali2 with a ModiMB for my bro. I'll probably get the jotunheim for my GungnirMB then we can compare and try out the possible combinations. Fun times ahead.
I miss a thread which does that. Discuss and compare all the different benefits, advantages/disadvantages, soundprofiles good/poor combinations of the different schiit gear. And with great combos of schiit with other gear outside the schiit foodchain.
Is there such a place?

One of the things I like about Schiit is not only is their gear quality and affordable but they aren't afraid to make great sounding gear that will take sales away from some of their other gear. Jotty (and Jason's development of a unique circuit design, etc.) for example vs Mjolnir 2. Gumby vs Yggy. Mimby vs Bimby. It's been fun following the company develop products over the years and so one tends to collect a lot of Schiit. I still very much enjoy my original Lyr with the right tubes it has a synergy with my original LCD2's that I enjoy. If I don't feel like sitting at my desk I can relax on the bed turn on the little Schiit stack, -instant tunes. You will most certainly enjoy collecting and configuring, and finding very, very, practical, logical, convenient, good for the economy reasons to buy more Schiit! They have so many products now and more stuff coming. Jason generally keeps this thread focused on Schiit gear, so many threads, so little time. I only follow a few. Oh, don't forget to try LISST someday...ooops:beerchug:

Jun 24, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #21,270 of 149,751
Is there such a place?

I am excited to hear your impressions of the Jot and Gumby. Pick up a balanced cable for your cans and go full balanced!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back