Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 23, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #21,241 of 149,763
... Perhaps for a little modding of the HD650. Is that a good idea or should I leave them as they are with this ..setup.

I would definitely leave them standard to start with at least and maybe read up on mods while "burning in" - phones or brain. :)

Jun 23, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #21,242 of 149,763
Yep, that tight control without glare in very dynamic passages is where sometimes the Jot beats the A2.
That's why for HD650 I recommend the Jot, specifically to use with a balanced cable which allows it to operate with 2½ times more power and makes a real difference for the HD650. Pair the Jot with any DAC — even the onboard, which is what I am using. I will upgrade to a multibit DAC someday, but meanwhile I thoroughly enjoy it and I appreciate that it is a compact single box.

Jun 23, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #21,243 of 149,763
I would definitely leave them standard to start with at least and maybe read up on mods while "burning in" - phones or brain. :)
Thanks Jimmers. I will do that. Then he can find out if he misses anything in the sound. But just out uf curiosity is there a page here that keeps track of the 650 mods?

That's why for HD650 I recommend the Jot, specifically to use with a balanced cable which allows it to operate with 2½ times more power and makes a real difference for the HD650. Pair the Jot with any DAC — even the onboard, which is what I am using. I will upgrade to a multibit DAC someday, but meanwhile I thoroughly enjoy it and I appreciate that it is a compact single box.

Thats very good to hear. Have you compares the onboard balanced DAC to one of the multibits?
I also like the balanced cable idea. Then he could have a very long cable and extend the listening experience to the whole apartment.
Know any stores in Eu selling cheap looong 650 xlr cables? I could also just make an extensioncord. Like this one
IMG_4396.JPG

Jun 23, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #21,244 of 149,763

@MOFOfunk

Ditto. There are a bunch of mods. Some permanent and some not. The HD650 is impressive stock, so give it a try.

If you have a bit left over in your budget, save it until you here the stock Vali2 tube and then consider rolling.

Jun 23, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #21,245 of 149,763
Thanks Jimmers. I will do that. Then he can find out if he misses anything in the sound. But just out uf curiosity is there a page here that keeps track of the 650 mods?

Thats very good to hear. Have you compares the onboard balanced DAC to one of the multibits?
I also like the balanced cable idea. Then he could have a very long cable and extend the listening experience to the whole apartment.
Know any stores in Eu selling cheap looong 650 xlr cables? I could also just make an extensioncord. Like this one
I got a bunch of cables made for me at www.jkehifi.nl
He makes a real great quality cable that won't break the bank.
He made balanced cables for my Yggy and extenders for my LCD-X and they're great.

Jun 23, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #21,246 of 149,763
If my memory serves me, the NAD M2 amplifier uses a PCM/PWM converter. So, no DAC or pre-amp as we know it in the analog world.

JC
PCM/PWM converter is functionally the same as DAC, and the line level must drive the amplifier and there must be level control, so preamp. Otherwise is would just be high-frequency noise. :)

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #21,247 of 149,763
Yes! That's a great album, as are Marcus and A Night in Monte Carlo. If you can find Tutu Revisited - get it! Those are my three favorites, along with Afrodeezia.

Enjoy your music!
RCB

Is "Tutu Revisited" really that good? It's $38 at Amazon...??? Yikes!

Thanks,
Larry

Jun 23, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #21,249 of 149,763
I was about to buy the HD650's. What would you that sounds better than them, out of curiosity?

/apologies for offtopic

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I love the HD650s and think they are some of the best headphones for the money. I highly recommend them. However, if you're looking for something a bit cleaner/not as warm, the HD600s or HE400i are both great options.

Jun 23, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #21,250 of 149,763
It is. But maybe try A Night In Monte Carlo first. A life concert and really well produced too.

Thanks...Ordered up "Night in Monte Carlo" for an additional taste of Mr. Miller! I really love Smooth Jazz...and one of my fav's is Boney James....every album he makes is great and very well recorded!

Cheers!

Jun 23, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #21,251 of 149,763
Is it not loud enough that one would need more power?

Jun 23, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #21,253 of 149,763
Mmmm... More power. I must have more power...

Jun 23, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #21,255 of 149,763
With respect to USB/SPDIF nervosa:

1. It's important to keep in mind that most of the changes we're talking about (when discussing USB decrapifiers, converters, etc) are relatively small, at least IMO. I use "naked" USB all the time--yes, just a cable, sometimes not even a fancy PYST cable, and I feel absolutely no audiophila nervosa about it.

I've been using a plain white USB printer cable for years now... I don't even remember when and where I've got it from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back