Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 6, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #20,746 of 150,706
I currently have Bimby. Not planning on upgrading for now. I guess right now for my setup DAC is not the bottleneck. Or maybe it will be in the next few weeks?

If Bimby is not the weakest link in your chain, it certainly is close. I think the Lyr 2 is better than your Bimby. By the way, I would not use Freya to feed the Lyr 2. I would have the DAC feed each separately. Too much tube....

Jun 6, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #20,747 of 150,706
Did the Yggy's price increase $100?...according to the Ad?

Jun 6, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #20,748 of 150,706
If Bimby is not the weakest link in your chain, it certainly is close. I think the Lyr 2 is better than your Bimby. By the way, I would not use Freya to feed the Lyr 2. I would have the DAC feed each separately. Too much tube....
Will switching to passive on Freya work? Or JFET? I hate plugging/unplugging more than necessary...

Jun 6, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #20,749 of 150,706
Did the Yggy's price increase $100?...according to the Ad?

Good catch, still $2,299.00 on the web site. If it's a mistake hope Jason catches it before print.

Jun 6, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #20,750 of 150,706
Good catch, still $2,299.00 on the web site. If it's a mistake hope Jason catches it before print.
Or is it a fair warning that the price's gonna go up?

Jun 6, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #20,751 of 150,706
Will switching to passive on Freya work? Or JFET? I hate plugging/unplugging more than necessary...

Sure. But then you are burning up the tubes in Freya and they are doing nothing. Maybe get RCA signal splitters so your DAC can feed both Freya and the Lyr 2.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #20,752 of 150,706
Sure. But then you are burning up the tubes in Freya and they are doing nothing.
Most likely I'll get a Gumby or Yggy later this year and use balanced out to feed Freya, while SE to Lyr 2... That should do the trick..
And send Bimby to my Dad for his casual listening :)

Jun 6, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #20,753 of 150,706
I have a Bimby with a Freya Now. It is really something to be heard. It's nice to see the affordable kick ass gear making it to shows. It is also nice to read that the pre release Vidar is playing nice with speakers on opposing ends of the spectrum.

A Mini Vidar in a desktop form factor would be cool and I know it was debated some time ago. The problem I ran into is there are not very many desktop sized near field speakers that are passive, they are mostly active. There is Obviously Audioengine, as well as Kanto and Centrance (what I use with an Audio engine N22). However The Nice thing about a Smaller / jot or bimby sized power amp is you can start off with a Modi2Uber/ Vali 2 with a Mimby for a HP rig and add on an amp with some nice bookshelves to have a killer Mini rig for small rooms or for that budding audiophile stuck in dorm room Purgatory of crappy mini systems its the perfect alternative. Mini systems are not so bad when compared to the now popular single blue tooth speaker. BAAAARFFF. How can one even have a proper party with that?

Jun 6, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #20,754 of 150,706
Thanks for the info and feedback on Gumby vs Yggy folks - I do tend to lean a bit more towards warm/smoother end of things, so sounds like Gumby may be the right solution for me for right now, rather than trying to break the bank on Yggy.
It's pushing $1400+ in the difference in Canadian funds, that I could likely put elsewhere in my system.
I love my Gumby. It is a musical DAC. After a couple days of break-in, it sounds like you can walk right into the soundstage.

Jun 6, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #20,755 of 150,706
I was shopping on Amazon japan a minute ago and it recommended Diana Krall to me. Are they even reading what I read here in this thread??!!

Jun 6, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #20,756 of 150,706
I have had both and sold the Gumby for a Yggy . They are both very good and for 1,200 I think the Gumby is the best dac Ive heard in that price range.
Id say the Gumby is warmer but the Yggy beats it is resolution,soundstage ,timbre. The Yggy with acoustic music is scary good.

I think Jason made a similar statement in the past. If I remember correctly, he preferred the GMB for HP listening and the Yggy for speakers, but it's been a few thousand posts since I read that one.

Jun 6, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #20,758 of 150,706
I think Jason made a similar statement in the past. If I remember correctly, he preferred the GMB for HP listening and the Yggy for speakers, but it's been a few thousand posts since I read that one.
This was my conclusion as well, and it's what I use.

Jun 6, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #20,760 of 150,706
Most likely I'll get a Gumby or Yggy later this year and use balanced out to feed Freya, while SE to Lyr 2... That should do the trick..
And send Bimby to my Dad for his casual listening :)

Now that's a plan that I like! And, so will your Dad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back