Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 13, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #20,011 of 155,069
May 13, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #20,014 of 155,069
Except that some folks find Ragnarok to be great at driver speakers and use it for that primarily. Sitting in your chair 8 feet away from Ragnarok is a bit of an issue when listening to speakers. Heck, I might be sitting in a chair 8 feet away from Ragnarok with headphones and it still a problem having no remote. It is an oversight for a $1700 for an integrated preamp/amp that can drive speakers.

the oversight is on the owner of the Ragnarok ..NOT FROM SCHIIT..they knew at the time of purchase it didn't come with a remote.

May 13, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #20,015 of 155,069
When will the Vidar be for sale?

Wow, some of you guys need to switch to a decaffeinated brand. Stuff's done when it's done. Things are quiet because we just had a big show and we're getting ready for another big show this weekend.

That said, I can confirm that we'll have a final-but-ugly Vidar at Axpona this weekend. This is not to be confused with the pretty-but-thermally-crappy version we showed at RMAF and has been playing at the Schiitr. In this case, it's a hand-assembled-but-on-final-board-with-final-heatsinks-and-clips-in-an-unfinished-chassis version. PC boards are finally released to production. Now it's a waiting game. (And, before you ask, it'll be done when it's done.)

And I'll have a new chapter for you tomorrow.

:deadhorse:

Last edited:
May 13, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #20,016 of 155,069
I see it the other way round ....
OK. Schiit describes it as a "universal" amplifier, with the ability to drive any set of headphones. The threads concerning the design process are about creating an end-game headphone amp and then adding speaker outputs because it is so powerful. Thus one reason behind no remote in the design: it's intended to be on the desktop, within reach, like a headphone amplifier should be. :) But it's really an academic point, isn't it? If some people want a remote then that's what they want. I really don't care one way or the other.

Last edited:
May 13, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #20,018 of 155,069
Well now...I returned my new "Beatles '64" Pro-ject turntable yesterday after over a week of hideous "HUMMING". It is grounded. The receiver to which it was grounded is all so grounded. And still the HUM.

It even puts a HUM in the receiver when "Phono" is selected but the 'table is off. It was suggested that I invest in a stand alone phono preamp. No freaking way. My Teac TN-300 does not HUM. My Denon DP-300F does not HUM. My old Technics direct drive (model # I am too lazy to go look at right now!) only HUMS if the ground is not connected, once hooked up, no HUM! It should be noted the Teac and Denon both have integrated grounds while the Technics is like the Pro-Ject and has a separate grounding wire. Still makes a sound like a Hummingbird on 'roids!

I tried the Pro-Ject out on my 2012 Onkyo HT receiver, my 2016 Pioneer Elite receiver, my ancient Sony DTR-6800SD and two other vintage models a Pioneer and a Kenwood. All of them work without HUM when I use the Teac or the Denon but hook up the Pro-Ject and HUMMMMMMM!!!

Dammit!

I am disappointed but will wait to see if the Sgt. Pepper 50th anniversary turntable HUMS. If so, I will just return it and be even more disappointed. If it works as it should, I will look in to giving the Beatles '64 another shot by ordering up another one. If they are still in stock.

Not much action here in this thread so I thought an update to my foray into cool looking 'tables would be fine. Where is every one? Probably listening to music...

I am doing that right now.

Last edited:
May 13, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #20,020 of 155,069
Combing Constanza

I am listening to SiriusXM "Oldies Party" while reading stuff here and at other sites I am intredasted in.

I fed Rocky the Labratard and later will go out looking for a Maine Coon Kitteh at the local shelter(s), then pick up an album I ordered by "The Lumineers" called "Cleopatra" at my local Narnes & Boble. Then I want to look at large motor scooters as I am a wimp of a gimp and can no longer hold up a manly motor bike due to my wimpy fiddler crab right leg.

May 13, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #20,022 of 155,069
That's your opinion, you are welcome to it. :)
I love my Ragnarok without a remote. I use the Ragnarok to drive my headphones, but lately I have been using it to drive my Fritz speakers. I do not mind getting up to fiddle with the volume control. The day I am to damned lazy to change the volume, is the day, I check into heaven or hell lol. Whatever place will take my lazy no good body lol. But this is just my opinion.

May 13, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #20,023 of 155,069

Well now...I returned my new "Beatles '64" Pro-ject turntable yesterday after over a week of hideous "HUMMING". It is grounded. The receiver to which it was grounded is all so grounded. And still the HUM.

It even puts a HUM in the receiver when "Phono" is selected but the 'table is off. It was suggested that I invest in a stand alone phono preamp. No freaking way. My Teac TN-300 does not HUM. My Denon DP-300F does not HUM. My old Technics direct drive (model # I am too lazy to go look at right now!) only HUMS if the ground is not connected, once hooked up, no HUM! It should be noted the Teac and Denon both have integrated grounds while the Technics is like the Pro-Ject and has a separate grounding wire. Still makes a sound like a Hummingbird on 'roids!

I tried the Pro-Ject out on my 2012 Onkyo HT receiver, my 2016 Pioneer Elite receiver, my ancient Sony DTR-6800SD and two other vintage models a Pioneer and a Kenwood. All of them work without HUM when I use the Teac or the Denon but hook up the Pro-Ject and HUMMMMMMM!!!

Dammit!

I am disappointed but will wait to see if the Sgt. Pepper 50th anniversary turntable HUMS. If so, I will just return it and be even more disappointed. If it works as it should, I will look in to giving the Beatles '64 another shot by ordering up another one. If they are still in stock.

Not much action here in this thread so I thought an update to my foray into cool looking 'tables would be fine. Where is every one? Probably listening to music...

I am doing that right now.

Sorry to hear about your travails. Analog! While we're waiting on Vidar here's my old 4002 which is still in use most everyday.

Vidar!
Vidar!
Vidar!:beerchug:

May 13, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #20,024 of 155,069
The old B & O 4002 programmable tracking turntable. In the late 70's it was my dream turntable...

Last edited:
May 13, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #20,025 of 155,069
Spent this afternoon shopping, then cleaned out our rabbits and guinea pigs houses. Now having some Iron Maiden 'Trooper' beer whilst listening to the new album by Mostly Autumn.

Whilst out we picked up a load of second hand LPs from the local charity shop. Emmylou Harris and Linda Rhonstadt albums from the 70s and early 80s, which shall be played in due course.

I was perfectly happy with amplifiers that had no remote control. Handy for muting when the phone rings, but to be honest I don't use it much other than for that. Mrs F loves a remote!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back