Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 14, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #18,886 of 151,658

Well my point was that even as an Italian being able to understand the language, I still do not understand a bloody bit about it.
Which, in my case, is no problem since I tend to fall asleep after a few minutes.

You have to sign up and take the course.
There's no way to explain this excruciating science verbatim. 

Is there a waiting list?

Apr 14, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #18,888 of 151,658
Couple of pages back I read you Pogoed in London and now you fall asleep at the opera.
Isn`t it amazing how we evolve? I also started off pogoing and went raving a little later and now I am going into advanced shoe tieing.
Mindbending stuff really :)

Apr 14, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #18,891 of 151,658
Is the Vidar 2 ready yet? 
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 14, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #18,893 of 151,658

Confirm what? His comments can be interpreted in different ways.
  • Yes there are amps with higher output than Jotunheim. Output level is only one factor of an amp. Amps can be better or worse than Jotunheim, and may have either higher or lower output level.
  • If you buy a Jotunheim (or any other amp that has balanced output), are you wasting money if you don't actually use its balanced output? Again, that is only one part of the whole package. If the amp works well for you otherwise, does it matter? If you are using SE headphones, don't feel compelled to disregard an amp because it happens to have a balanced output option.

Note that he bought a Jotunheim himself around the time of that post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/717134/new-member-introductions-thread/4710#post_13075161

There are of course different points of view about how important balanced outputs are for headphones.

"Benchmark does not offer balanced headphone outputs on any of its products. The reason for this is that a voltage-balanced interface serves no useful purpose when driving headphones. The truth is that a conventional single-ended headphone drive is technically superior to a balanced drive. This paper explains why single-ended headphone amplifiers are inherently more transparent than balanced headphone amplifiers."

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/audio-myth-balanced-headphone-outputs-are-bette​r

That said, if you have power hungry headphones and your amp outputs 4X more power on the balanced out connectors you may need balanced, most of us don't.

If your amp puts out a clearly superior signal on balanced output then go for it.  This is plausible.

If you don't have or don't used balanced outputs don't get an inferiority complex about it.  

Edit added for clarity:  HiFiMan's notoriously power hungry HE-6 has a sensitivity of 83.5 dbSPL/mw.  That means at 1 mw it's very loud. At 103dbSPL/mw the Hifiman Edition X ought to do pretty well at giving you a headache at 1 mw.

Apr 14, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #18,895 of 151,658

There are of course different points of view about how important balanced outputs are for headphones.

"Benchmark does not offer balanced headphone outputs on any of its products. The reason for this is that a voltage-balanced interface serves no useful purpose when driving headphones. The truth is that a conventional single-ended headphone drive is technically superior to a balanced drive. This paper explains why single-ended headphone amplifiers are inherently more transparent than balanced headphone amplifiers."

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/audio-myth-balanced-headphone-outputs-are-bette​r

That said, if you have power hungry headphones and your amp outputs 4X more power on the balanced out connectors you may need balanced, most of us don't.

If your amp puts out a clearly superior signal on balanced output then go for it.  This is plausible.

If you don't have or don't used balanced outputs don't get an inferiority complex about it.  

Edit added for clarity:  HiFiMan's notoriously power hungry HE-6 has a sensitivity of 83.5 dbSPL/mw.  That means at 1 mw it's very loud. At 103dbSPL/mw the Hifiman Edition X ought to do pretty well at giving you a headache at 1 mw.

The Link to benchmarkmedia seems to go nowhere...at least at my end it doesnt

Apr 14, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #18,896 of 151,658
Sorry, it doesn't go anywhere for me either.  It does work when I "copy link" from their webpage as

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/audio-myth-balanced-headphone-outputs-are-better

But it doesn't embed correctly on the forum. If the link about doesn't work just go to benchmarkmedia.com > support > applications notes and scroll down to the fifth note: "The Myth Goes Something Like This"

If somebody wants to PM me and explain why the link didn't work I would appreciate it. I know less than nothing about URLs, links, and browsers.

Apr 14, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #18,897 of 151,658
  Sorry, it doesn't go anywhere for me either.  It does work when I "copy link" from their webpage as

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/audio-myth-balanced-headphone-outputs-are-better

But it doesn't embed correctly on the forum. If the link about doesn't work just go to benchmarkmedia.com > support > applications notes and scroll down to the fifth note: "The Myth Goes Something Like This"

If somebody wants to PM me and explain why the link didn't work I would appreciate it. I know less than nothing about URLs, links, and browsers.

this one works...thanks.

Apr 14, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #18,898 of 151,658
Dear Jason,
I've got to say, you have here the most interesting and topically diverse thread on the entire Head-Fi planet.  Thank you for providing this forum to accommodate our random thoughts, predictions, desires, wins, and anecdotes.

Sincerely yours,
RCBinTN

beerchug.gif

Apr 14, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #18,899 of 151,658
Just went to see a guy called Woody Pines and it is really gratifying when you come home and your speakers sound as good as the real thing! :D

Apr 14, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #18,900 of 151,658
Emotiva has finally come around to the Schiit way of pricing at last. I was really getting tired of waiting until certain times of the year to get my gear, knowing that sales were always around the corner. Their club thing they got rid of long ago was an even worse idea. I'm just glad I got my XMC HDMI 1.4b for $1700 on their last sale.

https://emotiva.com/whats-new/important-message-about-pricing-dan-laufman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back