Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 26, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #18,151 of 150,610
I have come to believe that Jason will announce what REDACTED is on April 1st. Get the drift?

Mar 26, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #18,153 of 150,610
  Somebody help me.
Would it be possible to drive a Stax directly from a Ragnarok?

Do you mean a Stax system? Or just the headphones.

Electrostatic headphones require high voltages that the Rag does not provide.

Mar 26, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #18,155 of 150,610
My favorite thread ever on HeadFi, thank you Jason!

Sorry but that Transrotor platter is thin. Remember Jason's lecture on fascia!
#whatilearnedfromschiittoday

Here's a real snake oil review of a wonder platter
http://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/impressions-stein-music-perfect-interface/

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #18,157 of 150,610
Hmm my Mimby sounded strange suddenly on the left channel; felt unusually higher pitch on certain notes but otherwise alright. I had to restart it to get back usual SQ

Does this happen to other Schiit R2R DACs or so far just the Mimby?

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #18,158 of 150,610

I've had a couple of similar glitches with my Bimby associated with plugging and unplugging connectors while it was powered. Power-cycling solved them. So, now I power down the Bimby before messing with connectors. I've also got a Yggy since, but I also always power it down before disconnecting/connecting anything.

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #18,159 of 150,610
  I've had a couple of similar glitches with my Bimby associated with plugging and unplugging connectors while it was powered. Power-cycling solved them. So, now I power down the Bimby before messing with connectors. I've also got a Yggy since, but I also always power it down before disconnecting/connecting anything.

Thanks for the comfirm, but I wasn't doing any such connections when this occurred. I will keep this mind though

Mar 26, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #18,160 of 150,610

Playing around with input or output connectors in the "on" mode has resulted in my Yggy's Sample Rate Indicator lights going out and it passes no signal through the unit. I only have 44.1 CD player connected AES or Coax so it's not like it's constantly having to deal with sample rate changes. The unit seems to go "off line" (but not 100% of the time) when I screw around with the IC plugs. Simply restarting the unit always fixes the issue. Not screwing around with connectors in the "on" mode prevents it altogether.

Mar 26, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #18,161 of 150,610
Hmm my Mimby sounded strange suddenly on the left channel; felt unusually higher pitch on certain notes but otherwise alright. I had to restart it to get back usual SQ

I had the problem occur very repoducably by playing a Picoreplayer via USB. This does not occur when using a computer. Power cycling dispels the problem.

Mar 26, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #18,163 of 150,610
  Pro tip for original Schiit Fulla 1 owners, you know how the static is bad?

So I just ran a little experiment, a USB Type C to USB MIni B to original Schiit Fulla 1, because it has lot of static over standard USB... 0 static now even at max volume, sounds great... neat trick. Wish I thought of it sooner.  

Type C is a God port.

Can anyone confirm that this is not just a fluke on my end? Please take a mini b or micro b dac/amp that you own that generates static when turned up some, and then run it through USB Type C? I am not lying, my Fulla 1 is slamming harder than Schiit Fulla 2 (running over standard USB 2.0)... if this is not a fluke, then one of you guys with connections needs to find out why the industry is not moving to Type C full throttle... because not only is my static gone on my most sensitive headphones, it sounds twice as good... I wish I had more gear to test this on.  

Mar 26, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #18,164 of 150,610

Can anyone confirm that this is not just a fluke on my end? Please take a mini b or micro b dac/amp that you own that generates static when turned up some, and then run it through USB Type C? I am not lying, my Fulla 1 is slamming harder than Schiit Fulla 2 (running over standard USB 2.0)... if this is not a fluke, then one of you guys with connections needs to find out why the industry is not moving to Type C full throttle... because not only is my static gone on my most sensitive headphones, it sounds twice as good... I wish I had more gear to test this on.  

I do not have a device to test this on, but it would make sense that a USB Type C connector using the 3.1 rev1 or 3.1 rev2 protocol performs better than a 2.0 connector on the same device if said device's USB 2.0 performance is already sub-par. The USB Type C connector and supporting electronics *theoretically* should be manufactured to a tighter specification than USB 2.0 given they are capable of supplying a lot more power (Even more if it's Type C PD like on the new mac book). I imagine that if you were to hook your Fulla up to a Wyrd, the static would disappear in the same fashion. A good USB 2.0 port Vs. a good USB Type C port *should* have no audible differences at a reasonable listening level. I'm afraid you've got a lack-luster 2.0 port on your hands. Luckily, you have a device with Type C!

Mar 26, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #18,165 of 150,610

Just to make sure I understand you right...

1. Take a Mini B or Micro B DAC/AMP with static at high volume
2. Connect it to a USB type C port with a Type UC <-> Mini B / Micro B USB cable
3. Turn up volume.
4. Listen for static

Is that right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back