Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 19, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #17,342 of 155,069
Can we please stop with the meter request? It comes up all the time. Personally I don't like them and Schiit's position on this is quite clear. Stop asking for them because just as many of us don't want them. They will literally add nothing to the sound qualitty, but will add to the cost. Some of us need this Schiit to be as inexpensive as possible because a Vidar at $699 is a significant investment for some of us.

Plus they look terrible.
No meters, no anything that adds to cost without enhancing the quality of the sound.

Feb 19, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #17,345 of 155,069
By now surely we're just joking around asking for meters? I think Jason's made it pretty clear that's not going to happen!

I liked the shiny comment. But personally, when the maker of my beloved (um, I mean admired) tube gear offered a new version with meters I had two thoughts: 'looks great' and 'no thanks!'. Btw, the new cost was about $500 more, though a lot of that went into other features such as balanced in.

Feb 19, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #17,346 of 155,069
Can we please stop with the meter request? It comes up all the time. Personally I don't like them and Schiit's position on this is quite clear. Stop asking for them because just as many of us don't want them. They will literally add nothing to the sound qualitty, but will add to the cost. Some of us need this Schiit to be as inexpensive as possible because a Vidar at $699 is a significant investment for some of us.

Plus they look terrible.
No meters, no anything that adds to cost without enhancing the quality of the sound.

​Fine.  So long as you convince every one else here that they need to shut up about their wants and only go with what YOU like.

Sheeeeesh...   As for looking terrible that is entirely subjective and if I ever read you being subjective on the "sound" of any component wherein you use flowery boozhit terms to describe your eargasm,  I will relentlessly remind you of your wee little semi-tirade quoted above.  Do I need to call the WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMBULANCE for the two of us?

Feb 19, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #17,348 of 155,069
I been running the Freya in Jfet mode  shortly after i got it sounds very good that in my system, i didn't like having the tubes on while playing the Freya in Jfet mode. So today i removed the tubes and fired her back up with out them, i believe this Freya sounds even better with out the tube running at the same time. could some one on here that has been using the Jfet mode , try removing the tubes and see if it sounds better to you as well and report back. thanks Greg

Feb 19, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #17,349 of 155,069
Without a doubt, if I was starting from scratch, I would buy a Freya and Vidar combo, plus a Mani/Rega set up for vinyl.  Digital source would be a Sonore microRendu or
similar and a DAC. Speakers would more than likely be the Spatial Audio M3. 

I would not spend a penny more. Period. High end audio is a terrible investment and the press has brainwashed many to chase ridiculous price to performance parameters. 

It is my experience, almost without deviation, that those with the most expensive and complicated systems get bored the quickest, are the most musically incurious an
and uninformed, and have the least impressive collections.

The Spatual M3 have made my short list but was wondering about running 4 ohm with the a pair of bridged Vidar? Jason?

Feb 19, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #17,350 of 155,069
Plus they look terrible.

Yeah, they look so terrible that McIntosh, the best selling electronics brand in high end audio, puts them on practically everything they make.

Feb 19, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #17,354 of 155,069
Plus they look terrible.

Yeah, they look so terrible that McIntosh, the best selling electronics brand in high end audio, puts them on practically everything they make.

People don't buy McIntosh because it sounds the best, but for the nostalgia. Meters are part of the nostalgia.

Feb 19, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #17,355 of 155,069
People don't buy McIntosh because it sounds the best, but for the nostalgia. Meters are part of the nostalgia.

Who said anything about sounding the best?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back