Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 17, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #17,266 of 150,611
  Having read pages and pages about MQA I join Schiit and those that agree with them that it would be a good thing if MQA was considered DOA.  I fear it will not be.  Tidal and others will pay the piper in order to sell the Emperor's New Clothes as "sounds better because we use MQA."  

All streaming services are losing gobs of money. Including Tidal. They are kept artificially afloat by market speculation, idiotic Nth round investors ready to be fleeced, and the silly idea that there's a single "tech" industry, rather than a few really successful giants surrounded by a crowd of zombies (already dead, they just don't know they are). No tech lock-in fantasy like MQA will be able to arrest the terminal decline of the traditional music labels. And we can hasten their delayed demise by patronizing independent artists. Bandcamp and ArtistShare FTW!

Feb 17, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #17,267 of 150,611
  All streaming services are losing gobs of money. Including Tidal. They are kept artificially afloat by market speculation, idiotic Nth round investors ready to be fleeced, and the silly idea that there's a single "tech" industry, rather than a few really successful giants surrounded by a crowd of zombies (already dead, they just don't know they are). No tech lock-in fantasy like MQA will be able to arrest the terminal decline of the traditional music labels. And we can hasten their delayed demise by patronizing independent artists. Bandcamp and ArtistShare FTW!

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!

I've spent over $500 on Bandcamp in just the last 3 months. I would MUCH rather support passionate artists instead OBSOLETE (heheh) record companies and audio hardware manufacturers like Meridian. Screw them all.

Agree with every word  you posted.

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #17,268 of 150,611

​Just when you think Meridian has hit their moral rock bottom with this MQA crap, they break out the dynamite and blast away. 

FrAudiophiles make this hobby any thing but enjoyable for themselves and because not only does misery enjoy company it also relishes its fetishes.  Now then, back on topic...

When might an ancient amphibian expect the Special Edition "Vali of The Toad" resplendent with twin VU Meters up front, twin tubes up top and a power switch out back just to keep some one else happy?   The meters are no fetish mind you, just a visual homage to my youth and the stereos of that past.  Do not make me haunt you, young Stoddard...

Feb 18, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #17,269 of 150,611

​Just when you think Meridian has hit their moral rock bottom with this MQA crap, they break out the dynamite and blast away. 

FrAudiophiles make this hobby any thing but enjoyable for themselves and because not only does misery enjoy company it also relishes its fetishes.  Now then, back on topic...

When might an ancient amphibian expect the Special Edition "Vali of The Toad" resplendent with twin VU Meters up front, twin tubes up top and a power switch out back just to keep some one else happy?   The meters are no fetish mind you, just a visual homage to my youth and the stereos of that past.  Do not make me haunt you, young Stoddard...

Don't tick him off, those VU meters will be using modern led fixtures and knowing Jason, they will be bright, very bright white.
cool.gif

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #17,271 of 150,611
I feel like you guys are legitimizing it by talking about it so much.

No, it needs to be discussed and it needs to be exposed for the sham that it is. Knowledge is power.

True, and eventually consumers will get educated to the point wehre they can spot the difference for themselves. But on the other hand Beats headphones still sell like hotcakes, mostly because they sell an image and a myth - that of being instantly recognised as a fashionable guy/gal who 'takes music seriously' becasue they spent the extra bucks. At least to me, as I was that idiot at one point.

But it is an important point to note that MQA/Universal etc doesn't have to be the best or even objectively 'good' if they are tying to target the mainstream (and perhaps they aren't, then ignore this rant). They just need to sell an image that will convince self-concious millenials that listening to MQA will show all their friends that they "want to hear the music as the artist intended" (was literally a tagline on my box of the Beats Studios). That will likely be as far removed from the bitterly factious, nerdy and incomprehensible-to-outsiders world of 'audiophiles' as they can make it, whilst still pandering to the prestige of 'experts' who can interpret their heiroglyphs of bit-rates and noise-floors etc to joe public.

And for the outsider looking in MQA will look like a big deal in the 'serious' audio world as we buzz about like bees in a kicked hive over it.

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #17,272 of 150,611
MQA has specifically stated that there will be no full unfolding of files thru software. I'd assume you are going to get the same thing that is being done in the Tidal desktop app: the first unfold (to 88  or 96k), but not any higher, and no application of the DAC specific "deblurring". For that you still need MQA certified HW. 

Feb 18, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #17,274 of 150,611

Yup, I would love VU meters. If I had to pick, I would choose VU meters over MQA any day!

Feb 18, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #17,275 of 150,611
Pretty sure if anybody wants VU meters or MQA they are going to need to buy some different Schiit..

wink.gif

Feb 18, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #17,278 of 150,611
  Remember the good old days, when we used to listen to music without giving a rat's ass about what format it was encoded with?

Some of us still do.
L3000.gif

Feb 18, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #17,279 of 150,611
Feb 18, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #17,280 of 150,611
Dear Schiit Audio Friends,
Y'all be safe out there with those storms.  Looks pretty nasty on the TV.  Hope you are high and dry...

RCBinTN
Today in Sao Paulo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back