Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 15, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #17,163 of 153,544
Feb 15, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #17,164 of 153,544

I find the Bob Stuart quote at the end of this article particularly disturbing:

"It's practical to think that we would have broken the back of all the music in the world by next spring."

But I can't help it, it's so beautiful...

I see Bob Stuart as a brilliant autistic child with colorful ideas that have no real application in the real world. 

Everyone of Meridian's products were a day late and a dollar short. 

-DVD-A...a format that became utterly irrelevant with 24 bit downloading. 

-Sooloos, which became utterly ridiculous with the propagation of cheap storage, great playback software,
and mobile device control points.

-Ethernet speakers...let's not even go there...

-No stand alone DACs brought to market during the product category's major growth period. Shocking. 

-He parted ways with the Roon people, not believing that software was the future...disaster..as Roon has proved
to be a massive success. 

MQA is a last ditch effort to be relevant. And it is shameful. 

Feb 15, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #17,166 of 153,544
  I see Bob Stuart as a brilliant autistic child with colorful ideas that have no real application in the real world. 

Everyone of Meridian's products were a day late and a dollar short. 

-DVD-A...a format that became utterly irrelevant with 24 bit downloading. 

-Sooloos, which became utterly ridiculous with the propagation of cheap storage, great playback software,
and mobile device control points.

-Ethernet speakers...let's not even go there...

-No stand alone DACs brought to market during the product category's major growth period. Shocking. 

-He parted ways with the Roon people, not believing that software was the future...disaster..as Roon has proved
to be a massive success. 

MQA is a last ditch effort to be relevant. And it is shameful. 

I think of Bob Stuart (and all frAudiophiles) as an even more dumb form of Karl Childers.  At least Karl had common sense, which amongst frAudiophiles is so rare its a freaking super power. 

Vaughn:  "Bob, you always seem to be in deep thought.  Tell me, what were you thinking right now?" 

Bob:  "I was thinkin' mebee I outa take some of these here MQA DACs to a show with me and see if I can find someone even more of a 'tard 'n' me to buy 'em."

Vaughn:  "How about now?"

Bob:  "I wuz think' 'bout mebee takin' home some o' them cans o' potted Schitt, if they gots an extree as they seem to be sellin' out cuz they ain't sold nobody out by lyin', Mmm hmmm"...

FrAudiophiles.  FTN.

Feb 15, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #17,167 of 153,544
  I think of Bob Stuart (and all frAudiophiles) as an even more dumb form of Karl Childers.  At least Karl had common sense, which amongst frAudiophiles is so rare its a freaking super power. 

Vaughn:  "Bob, you always seem to be in deep thought.  Tell me, what were you thinking right now?" 

Bob:  "I was thinkin' mebee I outa take some of these here MQA DACs to a show with me and see if I can find someone even more of a 'tard 'n' me to buy 'em."

Vaughn:  "How about now?"

Bob:  "I wuz think' 'bout mebee takin' home some o' them cans o' potted Schitt, if they gots an extree as they seem to be sellin' out cuz they ain't sold nobody out by lyin', Mmm hmmm"...

FrAudiophiles.  FTN.

LOL made my night!!! 

Even funnier, is that it is probably NOT too far off how MQA probably started.

"Hmmm let me see, I can run the same music files people already own out there through a DSP engine, and I can tell everyone I have corrected "time smear" for every ADC and DAC out there. Nah, they won't buy that..or maybe...Just need to get a few audio writers on board..you know to say they like the MQA'd file, which is lossy, and run through a processor, better than the original file. Nah, it will never stick...."

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #17,168 of 153,544
  LOL made my night!!! 

Even funnier, is that it is probably NOT too far off how MQA probably started.

"Hmmm let me see, I can run the same music files people already own out there through a DSP engine, and I can tell everyone I have corrected "time smear" for every ADC and DAC out there. Nah, they won't buy that..or maybe...Just need to get a few audio writers on board..you know to say they like the MQA'd file, which is lossy, and run through a processor, better than the original file. Nah, it will never stick...."

​I can not fathom this MQA BS called "time smear".  Is it like a Pap Smear used to be for women and what older men now get and jokingly refer to as a "poop smear"?  FrAudiophiles can hear stuff no on else can hear but only when they are aware of what they are listening to.  Smear schmear..Like an unruly puppy, just rub their noses in that pile of MQA and maybe they won't try doing that in the house again.   

Even if we could change a their minds, the diaper that surrounds them is surely full of "itself", i.e. CRAP.

What a bunch of buzzword babies.  

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #17,170 of 153,544
  Interestingly Mikey Fremer was not kind to the Mani. He preferred several other budget preamps. Including the $89 U Turn Pluto. Yikes.

That's not my impression.  I hope no one objects to my quoting Fremer here:

>>> Both of these budget-priced phono preamps sounded very good to me heard "live" on a wide variety of material. <<<

The review and online file comparison are easy to find.  Fremer also cautioned that listening live vs. downloads of (even) hi-res, level-matched conversions often yielded different subjective results.  Finally, the Mani's gain options are a major feature not found on the U-turn.

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #17,171 of 153,544
Hmm. I guess these were the quotes I remembered:

"The Schiit was more dynamic and somewhat "punchier" in the bass. It was also definitely brighter on top with a bit of midband suck-out relative to the top and bottom.

The U-Turn was richer in the midrange and overall I found it more pleasant to listen over the long haul with the Shure M97xE, to but these are both very well made and compared to the usual ugly black boxes at this price point, visually remarkably appealing especially the U-Turn's stainless steel case."

Read more at http://www.analogplanet.com/content/u-turn-pluto-versus-schiit-mani-votes-are#9KiQ2DUwYBKJgzrU.99

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #17,172 of 153,544

​I can not fathom this MQA BS called "time smear".  Is it like a Pap Smear used to be for women and what older men now get and jokingly refer to as a "poop smear"?  FrAudiophiles can hear stuff no on else can hear but only when they are aware of what they are listening to.  Smear schmear..Like an unruly puppy, just rub their noses in that pile of MQA and maybe they won't try doing that in the house again.   

Even if we could change a their minds, the diaper that surrounds them is surely full of "itself", i.e. CRAP.

What a bunch of buzzword babies.  

Utterly spot on...and MQA is the most heinous of all the buzzwords I have seen floated over the years in this market...this one floats
like a massive turd in the pool after a drunken, frat boy party.

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #17,173 of 153,544
I listened a little Fleetwood Mac with the Tidal app on a Mac into a Bifrost Multibit. Compared with a HDztracks download run by Audirvana. A far superior sound where the MQA sounded digital. Had that sheen. THe HD download was a lot better.

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #17,174 of 153,544
I listened a little Fleetwood Mac with the Tidal app on a Mac into a Bifrost Multibit. Compared with a HDztracks download run by Audirvana. A far superior sound where the MQA sounded digital. Had that sheen. THe HD download was a lot better.

Their answer to that — don't shoot the messenger, now — would be that software decoding like Tidal gives us only 1x "unfolding" and 24/96 (or 88.2), while hardware decoding would give us the full 4x unfolding and 24/192.

I do hear a difference between the 1x MQA "Tidal Masters" and the same tracks in "Tidal HiFi", but that could just be because of the remastering. Of course, the same could be said of 4x, and of hi-res FLAC files too: maybe we're just hearing better source material. All I can say is my FLACs sound better than Tidal Masters. I haven't heard 4x MQA. 

Comments? Don't hold back now. You guys are so restrained. Why don't you tell us how you really feel. :wink:  

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #17,175 of 153,544
  Their answer to that — don't shoot the messenger, now — would be that software decoding like Tidal gives us only 1x "unfolding" and 24/96 (or 88.2), while hardware decoding would give us the full 4x unfolding and 24/192.

And my answer is, I have two multibit Schiit DACs who do a great job with 44.1/16 PCM already, anything above in sampling rate or bit depth is (sometimes yummy) gravy. Even the delta-sigma Cirrus Logic CS4398 paired with discrete class A in my QP1R DAP sounds remarkably good on 44.1/16. I'm listening (on the home office setup listed in my sig below) to the magistral "New Ancient Strings" set of kora duets by Toumani Diabaté and Ballake Sissoko, very well recorded in 1997 in an ample space with just the right amount of reverb for the koras. Ripped from the original CD, good old 44.1/16. I've been lucky enough to hear Toumani Diabaté live several times, from near seats. I can't think of much that I could get beyond what I'm hearing now except for actually being there. So, what problem is MQA solving for me, again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back