Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 11, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #16,218 of 150,227
Agree. I love when the staff comes and and tries to, without a hint of irony, with a virtual straight face, take these products seriously.

What is most egregious is that the writeup is an obvious press release, the commentator calls them on it, and Stereophile doubles down by stating that it the reviewer's opinion. Suggesting that the reviewer's integrity is being attacked.

Truly nauseating.

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #16,219 of 150,227
  Can we get a statement from Schiit about the use of 7N7 Tubes with an adapter in Freya/Saga? That would be cool.

I would also love to hear opinions on using 12AT7/12AU7 tubes with adapters.  

Jason, I know this is a bit funky, but good 6SN7 tubes are EXPENSIVE and many of us have a great stockpile of noval tubes laying around, like Telefunken ECC801S.  I'm sure it's not your preference or you would have designed the Freya to use them (I'm sure you're going to say they are not as linear as 6SN7).  Regardless, an opinion would be very useful.  Are there significant downsides to using these tubes?

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #16,220 of 150,227

Only thing I can think of is cable microphonics on the interconnects between the DAC and amp. If the DAC is sitting on a 2000W SUB blasting fullforce i guess you could probably notice it to some degree.

If it got to that point, you'd probably hear nore noise from the DAC physically moving about, kinda like a washing machine on spin cycle...

Jan 11, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #16,222 of 150,227
What is most egregious is that the writeup is an obvious press release, the commentator calls them on it, and Stereophile doubles down by stating that it the reviewer's opinion. Suggesting that the reviewer's integrity is being attacked.

Truly nauseating.

Well, that is the thing..when you report on products that are solutions in search of problems, there really is very little you can defend, and in a huff, most will just double down.

Jan 11, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #16,223 of 150,227

Well, that is the thing..when you report on products that are solutions in search of problems, there really is very little you can defend, and in a huff, most will just double down.

The first sign of needing to ignore a product is when you can make a couple of phone calls and have someone design it, make it, and ship it to you in ten days for 1/3rd the price. LOL!

Jan 11, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #16,225 of 150,227

Yeah, but that's a turntable.  It's obviously susceptible to vibrations.

It's not obvious why a well-built DAC would benefit from vibration reduction in any normal home setting.

Crystals that may be used for a DAC's clocks are piezoelectric, and can turn mechanical vibrations into electrical signal, so in theory, there is a physical mechanism for inducing jitter with vibration. Whether such a thing is important or even audible is another question entirely ... The Mark Levinson 30.5 DAC suspended its clock circuit board on rubber bands, and an old tweak to CD players was to put rubber dampers on their crystals. Rotel CD players even came from the factory with little gummy sleeves on their crystals!

Again, the audibility of this is questionable, but it's certainly been out there for a while.

Jan 11, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #16,227 of 150,227
One of the customers at a local hifi shop(i was told by a consultant there) built his/her house around the turntable, starting with a big solid slab of concrete to act as a platform for the turntable and building the house around it. he/she is probably one of the owners of those KEF MUONs or Gryphoon KODOs they have standing around. Prices on those are so obscene i don't even want to listen to them xD

My buddy, who is not particularly wealthy, used to be a DJ on the local college station (CJSW). He bought an acreage out of town cause he couldn't afford anything in Calgary, and moved an existing structure he bought for a buck onto it. When he poured the foundations he used one of those Sonotubes and poured a column based in the bedrock below the basement up through a hole in his living room floor to be his isolated turntable platform. All he had to worry about was air-born vibration affecting his not-particularly expensive record player.

Jan 11, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #16,228 of 150,227
"Vidar" (extreme weather) reaches western coast of Norway. Highest tides in 20 years..

Part of your marketing?? :D  (probably!  Damn you are good! I did hope that amp was powerful, but comeON!)     :wink: 

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=no&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=no&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vg.no%2Fnyheter%2Finnenriks%2Fvaer-og-uvaer%2Fsnart-kommer-ekstremvaeret-vidar-til-vestlandet-hoeyeste-tidevann-paa-20-aar%2Fa%2F23895711%2F&edit-text=

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #16,229 of 150,227

he/she is probably one of the owners of those KEF MUONs .... Prices on those are so obscene i don't even want to listen to them xD

My wife and I went to CAF last august.

Afterwards I asked her which room sounded the best, which she liked.  She said the "room with the steel-looking/metal speakers."  That was the VPI/Kef MUON room.

Now I get to tease her about her expensive tastes.  The speakers I liked were 1/30 the price (maybe less).

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #16,230 of 150,227
  My wife and I went to CAF last august.

Afterwards I asked her which room sounded the best, which she liked.  She said the "room with the steel-looking/metal speakers."  That was the VPI/Kef MUON room.

Now I get to tease her about her expensive tastes.  The speakers I liked were 1/30 the price (maybe less).

I don't think i am allowed to buy speakers that cost more than the House.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back