Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 5, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #15,991 of 150,704
On the topic of the now even wider selection of headphone amps with the introduction of Jotunheim, does anyone get the feeling that Schiit may decide to kill off the Asgard soon? Many threads I read comparing it to Magni 2 Uber end up with the conclusion that Magni is now so close to Asgard that it's hard to justify the added cost.  I don't own either but it'll be interesting to see what happens in the future, especially given Jason's admitted apprehension to having too many choices.

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #15,992 of 150,704
  The fact of the matter is that the industry has attracted many people who design and build trophies. They are marketing exclusivity to those with the least amount of knowledge, musical curiosity, and the biggest wallets.. The price IS the product.

Indeed!  These ultra-high priced items are usually about buying bragging rights.  But are there even enough audiophiles around any longer to brag to about your new $150,000 amplifier or $250,000 turntable (and who won't think that you're insane)?  It's a very exclusive club.

With absurd marketing, the collusion of the two main audio magazines left, and audiophiles who buy into the ludicrous belief systems of people like Robert Harley and Michael Fremer, you get where we are today. 

Those magazines are useful as a source of laughter (schiits and giggles?).  And the music reviews.

Who would have believed years ago that the same company would own both ARC and McIntosh.  Or that Naim would be acquired by Focal. 

Or Harman (JBL, Revel, Mark Levinson, Infinity, Lexicon, ...) owned by Samsung!

On topic... my Freya is now on its way to me.
smile.gif

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #15,993 of 150,704
Jan 6, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #15,994 of 150,704

It really pushes the limit and it is an insult to the intelligence of just about any one here how a preamp could cost $75,000...and even more. Check that against a Jaguar or a Mercedes with about 20,000 parts, many of which will save your life. It defies common sense. 

As disheartening as it is to see so much product design capital going into audio jewelry, that doesn't annoy me nearly as much as the seeming resurgence in absolute ******** enhancement products that do absolutely nothing.

$9,000 wooden boxes filled with Swedish magnetite and similar dealing with 'ground to earth' being the latest scam.

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #15,995 of 150,704
As disheartening as it is to see so much product design capital going into audio jewelry, that doesn't annoy me nearly as much as the seeming resurgence in absolute ******** enhancement products that do absolutely nothing.

$9,000 wooden boxes filled with Swedish magnetite and similar dealing with 'ground to earth' being the latest scam.

Oh yes, i am well aware of that device.

Is that worse than a $12,000 "active" resonance and vibration control "stabalization" platform for turntables?

Jan 6, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #15,996 of 150,704

All hail Vidar....

Vidar!

Born from the loins of Odin...
And the loins of Grid...
With a steely gaze...
And an oath of silence...
Stood the powerful Vidar!

He confined himself to solitude...
In the peaceful and silent land...
Known as Vidi...
With only the imperishable forces
Of nature to accompany him...
Until the day of The ragnarok...
He swelled within Vidi...

Centuries passed...
Until the day a terrible
Winter lasting three years
Arrived...

Vidar readied his sword...
For this was the first sign of...
The Raganrok...

Vidar looked to the skies...
He watched as two fearsome
Wolves devoured...
Both the sun...
And the moon...

He took flight...
To the Vigrid Plains...
In the world of Asgard...

As he arrived...
He felt the great world tree...
Yggdrasil tremble...
In fear!
The battle had already begun!

Holding his sword high...
The silent god charged into
The heart of the battle...

He tore through the undead
Armies of Hel...
And slew the giant armies
Of Loki...

His bloodied sowrd glistened...
As he gutted...
And decapitated his enemies!
Vidar fought on...
Encouraged by his Father and
his brothers!

Then... As he tore an undead soldier...
In half!
He watched in awe...
As the great wolf Fenrir...
Shallowed his Father whole!

Filled with anger and hate!
Vidar let out a blood thristy battle cry!

He chased Fenrir...
And forced his iron-shod foot...
Into the mouth of the fearsome wolf!

His foot smashed the wolf's lower jaw into the ground!
Vidar grabbed Fenrir's upper jaw!
Strengthened by his hatred!
He pushed the wolf's jaw up!
Tearing Fenrir's throat asunder!
He tore wolf clean in two!

Though he was victorious...
His head hung low...
His Father was dead...

Jan 6, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #15,997 of 150,704
Jan 6, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #15,998 of 150,704
Jan 6, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #15,999 of 150,704
  Not a good thing for an amp.

The oath may be referring to the background "silence" with no input signal applied and the volume all the way up!

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #16,002 of 150,704

You put in those giant truck-nuts tubes just cause they're ginormous, right?

BTW, what are they?

​They are Psvane CV-181 that I thought might make good followers since they are detailed and very quiet but not a favorite tube of mine as I have mentioned before. Also as a visual for any who are confused by the owner's manual saying the front tubes are input tubes, (note the confusion in the post right after my post you're referring to) they are not, the input tubes are on the right side.

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #16,004 of 150,704
Oh yes, i am well aware of that device.

Is that worse than a $12,000 "active" resonance and vibration control "stabalization" platform for turntables?

Haven't seen that one.

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #16,005 of 150,704
  On the topic of the now even wider selection of headphone amps with the introduction of Jotunheim, does anyone get the feeling that Schiit may decide to kill off the Asgard soon? Many threads I read comparing it to Magni 2 Uber end up with the conclusion that Magni is now so close to Asgard that it's hard to justify the added cost.  I don't own either but it'll be interesting to see what happens in the future, especially given Jason's admitted apprehension to having too many choices.

Kill the only no-nonsense pure Class A amp in the lineup? I don't think so. It will stay there as long as it sells.. only Schiit knows the stats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back