Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 23, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #15,452 of 150,772

A couple of updates:

1. Unless something very untoward happens, Freyas will be available for order on Friday. We are finally getting boards in tomorrow. It's doubtful that any of them will be shipped on Friday, however. We have to burn them in.

2. Just a couple of photos of the new Vidar prototype, which I mentioned I was building. It's radically different than what we showed. The heatsinks are now literally part of the chassis--everything bolts to them. It should be running next week, thermally qualified shortly after, and then the parts ordering can begin. One aside: this sucker is now VERY dense. The new, larger heatsinks added a few pounds.

Ahh,  so notably absent is any kind of volume control on this beast.  I've never owned an amp without volume control, so I don't know what that means.

I guess this means it will require a preamp?  This raises the price of entry a bit.   Probably too rich for my blood....

....unless - that is - the preamp outs on my Jotunheim would do the trick...

Dec 23, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #15,453 of 150,772

Ahh,  so notably absent is any kind of volume control on this beast.  I've never owned an amp without volume control, so I don't know what that means.

I guess this means it will require a preamp?  This raises the price to entry a bit.   Probably to rich for my blood....

....unless - that is - the preamp outs on my Jotunheim would do the trick...

The pre outs on any piece of Schiit will work.
L3000.gif

Dec 23, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #15,455 of 150,772

L3000.gif

Thanks for the explanation!

Would there be any reason to want to put a preamp like a Saga or a Freya between a Jotunheim and a Vidar?   (Other than getting remote volume control, that is)

Dec 23, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #15,456 of 150,772

Uh, he'll want a level control of some kind.

You can always pair it with a Sys!
smile.gif

The pre-outs on every piece of Schiit I've used are volume controlled with the same volume knob that adjusts the volume in the headphones.

Maybe there are exceptions, but not on any that I've used.

Dec 23, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #15,457 of 150,772

The pre-outs on every piece of Schiit I've used are volume controlled with the same volume knob that adjusts the volume in the headphones.

Maybe there are exceptions, but not on any that I've used.

See my edit. 

You would not do well to, for example, plug the outputs of a Bifrost into a Vidar.    If it has a volume control, like a headphone amp, you're good.

Dec 23, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #15,458 of 150,772

L3000.gif

Thanks for the explanation!

Would there be any reason to want to put a preamp like a Saga or a Freya between a Jotunheim and a Vidar?   (Other than getting remote volume control, that is)

The Joty's preamp outs will work perfectly well with a Vidar. However, if you own a Gumby or Yggy, with a fully balanced output, a Freya would give you the maximum performance with such a DAC.

Remember- we'll spend your money for you, no problem!

Dec 23, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #15,459 of 150,772
The Joty's preamp outs will work perfectly well with a Vidar. However, if you own a Gumby or Yggy, with a fully balanced output, a Freya would give you the maximum performance with such a DAC.

Ah, but the Jotunheim has fully balanced inputs and preamp outs!

Dec 23, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #15,460 of 150,772

Ah, but the Jotunheim has fully balanced inputs and preamp outs!

Are the preamp outs fully balanced (XLR connectors), or single ended (RCA connectors)? 

Dec 23, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #15,461 of 150,772
Dec 23, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #15,462 of 150,772
Dec 23, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #15,464 of 150,772
I've never been bothered by bright LEDs, a lack of support for DSD, or rear power switches (at all), but I feel like the lack of "official support" for 4 ohm speakers when the Vidar is run in balanced mode/mono configuration is a bit of an unfortunate miss. After all, Schiit sort of specializes in balanced topologies. Freya is balanced, but the partnering amp kind of isn't? My question is, when running a monoblock balanced pair of Vidars, will it handle speakers that dip down to 3.2 ohms (like Kef's Reference 1)? (I feel like, "you can always try" isn't quite sufficient here.) If one isn't concerned about running 'em balanced (just as I won't be when I pick up a pair; one for the rears and one for the centre channel in my home theatre setup), at that point the numbers are fantastic for relatively more efficient speakers, regardless of whether or not they're nominally 4 or 8 ohms. I would otherwise consider replacing my other US manufacturer's amp (200/400 per channel) with a Schiit offering for my two channel setup. Also got my eye on some Mani-2 Signatures (4 ohm).

Dec 23, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #15,465 of 150,772
Go find another bridgeable, balanced input stereo amp that offers "official" support for less than 8-ohms when bridged... for less than $700.  Then we can compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back