Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 21, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #13,516 of 150,675
  I want to know if this even applies to ncore modules.  I thought the ncore/pascal/abletec level modules had gotten beyond the whole class d treble sucks issues

I hadn't heard of those thanks, I found this paper going into excruciating detail about ncore:
http://www.hypex.nl/docs/papers/ncore%20wp.pdf

And here's a good forum thread on people's impressions, I'm seeing a lot of "Good but something is missing":
http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=amp&m=197616

"...I noticed much of the same issues you did. It lacked bass slam, is very 2D, and low level detail sound veiled..."

"After listening to the Hypex NC400 amps for a couple days now, I must say that they are definitely smooth and slightly warm but they seem a bit soft and perhaps rolled off up top.... a little veiled ??
I put my Sony TA-A1ES Integrated back in the system and it sounds noticeably better to me. I hear a more 'full spectrum' presentation with improved treble, better detail and transparency.
And since I prefer the Rogue Cronus Magnum tube integrated over the Sony, I can say that I'm not ready for NCore Class D, at least not the NC400s."

Sounds like they still have a ways to go before they can replace a real class A or A/B amp.

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #13,517 of 150,675
  In a article today Darko says the preamps won't ship till December so I'm a little confused .

I was hearing Late October for shipment. 

I sent Schiit an email about Darko's article, they got back to me really quick! They said:

"We’re still targeting the end of month but we have no official date."

Oct 21, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #13,520 of 150,675
  [...]
Sounds like they still have a ways to go before they can replace a real class A or A/B amp.

Best poweramp I've had at home, by far, was the Hypex UcD400. Amazing control and bass... There is always personal preference and there certainly is a lot of Class A and A/B stuff that isn't all that good. One type of amp is not inherently better than the other, and Class A/B is also a 'compromise'. 

I also really did enjoy sound of the Topping Class-T thingy as a temporary amp, lively and energetic and actually very close to the Naim amp that came after. Might have even kept it if the cheap adapter didn't have that high-pitched noise and only one input.

Oct 21, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #13,521 of 150,675

They probably have a bot to answer all these inquiries.  Or a macro programmed into someone's emailer.

No, believe it or not they actually answer them all...

Oct 21, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #13,522 of 150,675

One type of amp is not inherently better than the other, and Class A/B is also a 'compromise'. 

Class A/B compromise efficiency for quality, Class D compromises quality for efficiency. That's it.

Oct 21, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #13,523 of 150,675

Class A/B compromise efficiency for quality, Class D compromises quality for efficiency. That's it.

All amplifier typologies have compromises. Pure Class A is normally the better choice if you're using efficient loudspeakers (or headphones). Class D just has a lot of comprises, but it continues to evolve while class A/B designs have remained pretty static over the last 25 years.

Oct 21, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #13,524 of 150,675

All amplifier typologies have compromises. .

Bringing it back to Schiit, what are the compromises* in Schiit's circlotron and Pivot Point topologies?  Or are they both the same as class A in that regard?

*Besides being unmeasurable according to Stereophile :wink:

Oct 21, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #13,525 of 150,675
Oct 21, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #13,526 of 150,675

All amplifier typologies have compromises. Pure Class A is normally the better choice if you're using efficient loudspeakers (or headphones). Class D just has a lot of comprises, but it continues to evolve while class A/B designs have remained pretty static over the last 25 years.

I am not engineer but I agree there is always compromises. Efficient and Small with Decent SQ or Great SQ but big and hot. Most people look at things for how small and light, IMHO Why LCD TV's won over Plasma even thought it took years to get near the picture quality of the latter, The Same holds true with a lot of the mass produced audio gear. As Mike said Earlier There is no replacement for displacement.There is a Place for Class D, that place may vary based on who you talk to. The audio rack or the landfill. Give Me That Oldsmobile With the 442 Over the Econo box any day of the week, 

Oct 21, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #13,528 of 150,675
  Bringing it back to Schiit, what are the compromises* in Schiit's circlotron and Pivot Point topologies?  Or are they both the same as class A in that regard?

*Besides being unmeasurable according to Stereophile :wink:

They are Class A/B

Oct 21, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #13,529 of 150,675
Glad you guys brought up the class D amps because I was just thinking to myself how having the next load out of the Shiite factory might be a sub amp, say to replace the plate amps being used by Zu Audio?

Regardless I'm patiently awaiting the the release of the Vader...

Rocket

Users who are viewing this thread

Back