Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 17, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #13,381 of 150,070
Oct 17, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #13,383 of 150,070

The TV and Pioneer Surround system is now 13 years old.  TV will be upgraded in a few weeks, sort of hate giving up the tube :wink:

r2

Well, I was close.  I had a flashback of my old Pioneer system from the 1990s.  I only ditched it because I wanted HDMI and DTS/Dolby HD.  Just got rid of the Pioneer cassette player last year.  It was so old, it was made in Japan.

Oct 17, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #13,384 of 150,070

Well, I was close.  I had a flashback of my old Pioneer system from the 1990s.  I only ditched it because I wanted HDMI and DTS/Dolby HD.  Just got rid of the Pioneer cassette player last year.  It was so old, it was made in Japan.

I know I will miss the tube fullness and richness :wink:  Just can not get that with Solid State.

No HDMI anywhere in that system.  The Pioneer surround is the "Elite" stuff the 2 channel is SPEC.

Not the best listening room, but my lounge couch is perfect for the "stereo" :)

r2

Oct 17, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #13,385 of 150,070
  .... and drinking. 
wink.gif

Now we're talking!

Oct 17, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #13,387 of 150,070

I know I will miss the tube fullness and richness :wink:  Just can not get that with Solid State.

No HDMI anywhere in that system.  The Pioneer surround is the "Elite" stuff the 2 channel is SPEC.

Not the best listening room, but my lounge couch is perfect for the "stereo" :)

r2

No HDMI on our TV either, but I fixed that with an HD Fury, and I run everything through a DVDO Edge to correct for overscan (for a CRT TV, a DVDO Edge, if you can get HDMI, is the best money you'll spend).

Oct 17, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #13,388 of 150,070

Nice setup! I like the TV.  Is it a Panasonic?

In our main living room, our TV is a Philips 30" widescreen CRT.  Will hate having to replace with LED when it goes out.

Dang, you are good, that is a Panasonic.  Weighs over 200 lbs.
  No HDMI on our TV either, but I fixed that with an HD Fury, and I run everything through a DVDO Edge to correct for overscan (for a CRT TV, a DVDO Edge, if you can get HDMI, is the best money you'll spend).

Thanks, good to know, maybe I should not retire the tube.

r2

Oct 17, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #13,389 of 150,070
  I do have a tv connected to the main stereo, and use it that way when watching music concerts, or navigating thru my blu-ray to play music via a USB stick or via its Tidal app.  But 90% I'm playing music without tv involved.

Okay, so let's be clear: What you have is a home theater system. There, now you have seen one with your very own eyes. 

Oct 17, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #13,390 of 150,070
Our home setup has 2-channel gear in the living room and kitchen (a cubox linux server running LMS/squeezelite) feeding through a DAC to a preamp and then out to separate stereo amps for the kitchen and living room speakers.

No TV in the living room so it won't dominate human interactions there (though, when needed, plenty can be watched on laptops or tablets).

The TV is relegated to the master bedroom where, until recently, it only had internal speakers.  Now it has a $25 Lepai 25W per channel class D amp driving a pair of old Onkyo speakers and is really all we need (though I would like to deploy a Raspberry Pi based squeezelite node in the bedroom so we can extend our music server's reach to there).

Oct 17, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #13,391 of 150,070
Hey guys, looking for a solution to connect my newly acquired active speakers (Genelec G four's) to my TV, I've been reading and searching all over the net and eventually I got interested in the new Schiit stuff coming out soon! I knew I could find a good discussion here on them and boy was I right! 

I read the past 10/15 pages here and some of the things you guys talk about, I don't even have any idea what they mean lol. My setup is super simple, Chromecast to TV, play through Tidal. Optical digital output from TV to something and then pre-outs to the speakers. For that something I've tried so far a 15 year old Rotel preamp and a new packed-with-features Marantz receiver. Both sound like **** to me! Hardly any improvement over the headphone out of the TV!!

Do you guys think I can go with the Saga/Bifrost combo and get a good sound out of this system? Or a different combo? 

Cheers, 
Hamed

Oct 17, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #13,392 of 150,070
  Optical digital output from TV to something

I have the exact same setup! lol

My setup is super simple, Chromecast to TV, play through Tidal. Optical digital output from TV to something and then pre-outs to the speakers. For that something I've tried so far a 15 year old Rotel preamp and a new packed-with-features Marantz receiver. Both sound like **** to me! Hardly any improvement over the headphone out of the TV!!

Do you guys think I can go with the Saga/Bifrost combo and get a good sound out of this system? Or a different combo? 

You could do Bifrost multibit (or a Modi multibit) to a Saga (or a SYS albeit with manual volume control)

But you're only going to get the sound the Chromecast gives you, it looks like some people complain about it:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chromecast/P-t6gyaKqqE

I would think the digital audio from the tv (from hdmi not the 3.5mm jack) should be pretty decent though.

Oct 17, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #13,393 of 150,070
  Hey guys, looking for a solution to connect my newly acquired active speakers (Genelec G four's) to my TV, I've been reading and searching all over the net and eventually I got interested in the new Schiit stuff coming out soon! I knew I could find a good discussion here on them and boy was I right! 

I read the past 10/15 pages here and some of the things you guys talk about, I don't even have any idea what they mean lol. My setup is super simple, Chromecast to TV, play through Tidal. Optical digital output from TV to something and then pre-outs to the speakers. For that something I've tried so far a 15 year old Rotel preamp and a new packed-with-features Marantz receiver. Both sound like **** to me! Hardly any improvement over the headphone out of the TV!!

Cheers, 
Hamed

The Bifrost and Saga Combo Should do just fine as long as your TV Optical output can be switched to PCM.

I Have not tried chromecast or music from TV but that does not sound like an ideal source. Everything that is outputed from my TV Optical Sounds Very close to crap. I think the Bifrost/Saga combo will work well maybe evaluate your source as well. Have you tried playing a Flac file or CD not going through the TV?

Edit what Joe Kickass said. Also some including my self has had very good luck with a raspberry pi and digi+ hat. which will run tidal with alittle bit of work for around $100 Shoot a PM to me so we don't go to far off topic if you are interested. I can walk you through it.

Oct 17, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #13,394 of 150,070

But you're only going to get the sound the Chromecast gives you, it looks like some people complain about it:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chromecast/P-t6gyaKqqE

It's bit-perfect through the digital out, so you're talking about the distinction between one digital transport and another. To the extent those differences exist, they're going to be way minor compared to the other components in the system.

It's actually more likely that the TV is doing some processing to the signal (this is not uncommon), if the problem is upstream.

Oct 17, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #13,395 of 150,070
Okay, so let's be clear: What you have is a home theater system. There, now you have seen one with your very own eyes. 

Ok then. I didn't have a tv connected to it until a year ago, tho I've had the stereo for decades. I have a hinged drywall room divider where my dartboard is mounted, and that is normally in front of the tv (between my stereo speakers). Darts + music= good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back