Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 12, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #13,126 of 150,605

Bummer about the 12V trigger.  I've been reading the Schiit Story since the beginning so I understand the methods by which you make your decisions, but I do honestly believe a lot of pre-amp users will mourn something like this being missing. 

Why not get one of these:

http://emotiva.com/products/accessories/et-3
http://hometheaterhifi.com/editorial/blogs/little-things-triggering-multiple-amplifiers-from-a-single-12v-trigger/

Plug the Schiit preamp of choice to a power strip/distribution unit of your choice along with the et-3 and leave the pre-amp switch on (make sure that the power switch for the strip/distribution unit is readily accessible).  Wire all your downstream 12V trigger capable gear into the ET-3.  Turn on the power strip/distribution unit and all your gear turns on...

You pay an extra ~$40 (plus the cost of the power strip or distribution unit) for a feature you want and everyone who doesn't want or need it saves cash on the preamps.

Win-win.

Oct 12, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #13,127 of 150,605
  A couple more answers:

1. No 12V triggers.
2. No standby mode. 
3. No power switch on remote.
4. No home theater bypass.
5. They don't run all that hot, chassis-wise, you don't need a ton of ventilation--but the Freya tubes should have a few inches above them on a rack at least. When LISST is available, you can always go that way to make it run cooler, or leave the tubes out entirely.
6. You get XLR and RCA output on Freya from all inputs and in all output modes, but SE input in passive mode and in buffer mode will result in SE output on the XLRs. 

Hope that clears a few things up.

Thanks for the clarification. When convenient, could you please also confirm whether all outputs are variable as was stated by @US Blues earlier in the thread or whether any outputs on Saga and/or Freya are fixed? 

Oct 12, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #13,128 of 150,605
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 12, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #13,129 of 150,605
@Jason Stoddard

Pics or it didn't happen.

tongue.gif

Oct 12, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #13,130 of 150,605
Welp. It's looking as though I should get some speakers that aren't wireless and confine my current Devialet Phantoms to the bedroom/study.

Only reason I can even consider doing this is due to how the new devices are priced, I'd never thought of even bothering with more speaker related gear for a few years - I tend to prefer headphones honestly but it just feels like at $399/699 there's no reason not to, gotta see what kinda speakers I can afford on top of that and go from there.

Why you do dis Jason.

Oct 12, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #13,131 of 150,605

In the context of the other design decisions, it seems sensible. If you have to walk over to your equipment rack and reach behind the preamp to turn it on when you start listening, it's not that hard to reach down a bit more and flip on the amp, too.

If you have a stereo amp, sure. But if you have monoblocs and they are positioned near your speakers (as they should be), then it gets pretty annoying. Not as a annoying as changing the volume without a remote, but still annoying.

Oct 12, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #13,132 of 150,605
Congrats on the great mention for the new gear on The Audio Beat.

Shame about triggers. 

Love to hear the Vidars powering my VA Haydns.  They dip down to below 3Ohms.  Would that be a problem?

Oct 12, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #13,133 of 150,605

And it's that way because that's what we do. We design something, we figure out how much it costs is to make, and then we apply our standard margin to it. We don't price things "at what the market will bear," or "higher so people will take it seriously," or "higher because there's literally nothing like it, anywhere near the price."

Thank you! in day and age of $4K+ headphones, and $3.5K+ IEMs, this is true music to everyone ears.  I respect this.

Please work on headphones next... pretty please!

Oct 12, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #13,134 of 150,605
Jason,

Will Freya have a programmed self-check and start up sequence similar to Ragnarok? At the moment I'm using a wifi power switch for my Rag and I'm hoping something similar will work with Freya.

Oct 12, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #13,135 of 150,605
With Sadness of people withthe lack triggers, Their are some sub woofers that will go into standby after a period of time if there is no input signal. I wonder if the power amp will have that capability.  I do not know if that would have a negative effect on sound or even how complicated it would be to implement. Just a thought that would not require having to interface with anything else outside of audio inputs which it is doing anyway.To be honest it does not bother me either way. I understand that keeping in this price sacrifices need to be on niceties so you do not sacrifice the quality of the amp or SQ .if it is something that requires adding things to the signal path to accomplish this. Delete My Post and put me in Time out area. I sure as hell am not advocating for that.

Oct 12, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #13,136 of 150,605
Amen to that!

My watch "habit" dwarfs my entire "Head Fi" expenditure.  I think my favorite, single, horological expenditure still dwarfs my entire "Head Fi" (if not "music") budget.  

Between my Leica addiction, love of cars, the speaker rig, LP collection, diving/travel excursions, and my airborne exploits, I feel entirely lucky that "Head Fi" is my least expensive hobby!

One night on the Orient Express, done properly, runs about the same as a Chord DAVE in UK prices ... and no one does just ONE night there.

Man, I dig that. I have a watch that costs almost as much as my Schiit Vali. And I recently stayed at a Holiday Inn Express- 2 nights, dog! YOLO.

Oct 12, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #13,137 of 150,605
Man, I dig that. I have a watch that costs almost as much as my Schiit Vali. And I recently stayed at a Holiday Inn Express- 2 nights, dog! YOLO.

That watch is cheap. A luxury watch costs as much as 4 Yggdrasils or 1 Chord DAVE.

Oct 12, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #13,139 of 150,605
Oct 12, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #13,140 of 150,605
Awesome. I'd never be late with a watch that tells time that good!

Hehe. Cheap quartz watches are more accurate than those uber expensive luxury watches. You put the money for the brand name, materials,  craftsmanship and the mechanical Swiss movement.

Check out this mechanical watch that shows the see through mechanical pieces that makes the watch tick without any electric oscillators whatsoever.

But I digress. Back to topic for me after this.

So anyone knows what date will Jason/Schiit put the Freya up for order?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back