Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 9, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #12,979 of 152,336

Schiit products' power buttons are placed on the back.

And that's because putting a power switch on the front is STUPID.  More convenient for users, but A BAD DESIGN CHOICE: AC mains running past all the naughty bits in a circuit...no matter how well you twist and shield it.  Jason and Mike are looking after your sound quality needs, folks.

Jason, Mike, and all the folks at Schiit, my hat is off to you.  I was secretly hoping for a tube in my next pre, plus all the other great things you've put in the Freja.  The price is ridiculous, you might have to raise it before I'll purchase.  I really hope you offer a LISST option sometime.
EDIT: Doh, sorry!!  The jfet buffer option already there, even passive in the same blessed Freja...is certainly not fair to other brands.  Below the belt!  :)

Oct 9, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #12,983 of 152,336
Two questions:

Are there more than a single bal and se output on the Freja?  I can split a star-quad cable for my biamped setup, or have someone do it, but would really like dual balanced outputs.

And a remote someday for the Juber?

Oct 9, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #12,984 of 152,336

They are already there!  See the Schiit description.

Great idea.  Slightly evil and great.

Yay! I would get the balanced one (hopefully it also has an SE input, but if not, the SE Schiit is fine too) for my Yamaha HS7 active speakers so that I can finally listen to them outside of nearfield listening area.

Oct 9, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #12,985 of 152,336

Yay! I would get the balanced one (hopefully it also has an SE input, but if not, the SE Schiit is fine too) for my Yamaha HS7 active speakers so that I can finally listen to them outside of nearfield listening area.

From the Schiit website:
"
Freya
Balanced Remote Passive/Active Preamp
  1. Relay switched stepped attenuator (128 steps) 
  2. Selectable passive, JFET buffer, or tube gain operation
  3. Tube gain stage uses (4) 6SN7 tubes and 300V rail
  4. 2 balanced inputs, 3 SE inputs, balanced and SE outputs
  5. Full remote control
  6. Shipping October 2016 for $699

Oct 9, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #12,986 of 152,336

From the Schiit website:
"
Freya
Balanced Remote Passive/Active Preamp
  1. Relay switched stepped attenuator (128 steps) 
  2. Selectable passive, JFET buffer, or tube gain operation
  3. Tube gain stage uses (4) 6SN7 tubes and 300V rail
  4. 2 balanced inputs, 3 SE inputs, balanced and SE outputs
  5. Full remote control
  6. Shipping October 2016 for $699

Thank you for posting it here. I don't know how to find it in Schiit's website so I just rely on this thread.

Can't wait for them to release this!

Oct 9, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #12,987 of 152,336

And that's because putting a power switch on the front is STUPID.  More convenient for users, but A BAD DESIGN CHOICE: AC mains running past all the naughty bits in a circuit...no matter how well you twist and shield it.  Jason and Mike are looking after your sound quality needs, folks.

Well, you can have the mains section to one side of the board and the audio section to the opposite side so they are as far away from each other as possible, like schiit already does. Maybe a relay with DC actuation? Sure would make costs go a bit higher, but not impossible to do properly.
I get the idea that you don't need to turn off solid state equipment, but for tubes this is something necessary, specially considering that some NOS tubes are getting rare.
Maybe if there is a way to get just the tubes off, so all the rest of the amp is already on and have just the tube on/off on the front. That would be nice. Perhaps this is already a feature that switching to passive/solid state gain already does?

Oct 9, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #12,988 of 152,336
Rumor: the remote will be CNC aluminum in the shape(subtly) and laser etched to look like Thor's hammer. It's a surprise for schiit fans, that's why they didn't show it yet

Oct 9, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #12,989 of 152,336

I am surprised that the pre amps are not Lyr and Mjolnir with an input switch and a remote control. Especially I am surprised not to find a hybrid with the tubes in the first gain stage. Why did they move away from the E88CC tubes?

Oct 9, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #12,990 of 152,336
  And that's because putting a power switch on the front is STUPID. 

Yes, there are valid technical reasons for the anal power switch. Though I strongly suspect Jason continues the practice just to piss people off. (Mission accomplished!) But why not put the switch on the side, just at the rear corner? Would be a lot more convenient without sonic compromise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back