Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 1, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #12,481 of 150,446

I wonder how they compare to Schiit's stuff.

It's apples and bananas on the amplifier side... but I do use a Schiit Yggdrasil as the DAC in my 2-channel system that features Leben preamp and Shindo Cortese amplifier...

Sep 1, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #12,482 of 150,446
Speaking of USB Audio 2.0 support in Windows 10. Some good news here:

Hello everyone,
As you have found out, we have an initial version of a USB Audio 2 driver in the latest Windows Insider release! This is an initial version with only limited features enabled (playback only, no recording support as of now). I encourage everyone to test the driver with your USB Audio 2 devices and file bugs via the feedback app.

Your feedback is important to us and we share your frustration at how long it has taken us to get here. Please keep the feedback coming!

The driver is available in all versions of Windows 10 - including mobile.

- Bala Sivakumar
Program Manager, Audio at Microsoft

Sep 1, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #12,483 of 150,446
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 1, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #12,484 of 150,446
Sep 1, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #12,487 of 150,446
Sep 1, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #12,488 of 150,446
  HALLELUJAH!!!!!!

(I hope it works.)

Jason, on the other hand, my W10 Anniversary Update seemed to come with C-Media drivers pre-installed. So it wasn't an issue for me anymore.

Sep 1, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #12,489 of 150,446

Jason, on the other hand, my W10 Anniversary Update seemed to come with C-Media drivers pre-installed. So it wasn't an issue for me anymore.

I noticed that too.

Sep 2, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #12,490 of 150,446
Jason I am wondering, in your website you state the power output for all products as "Watts per channel". With Jottunheim this is not the case, Is there a reason for that?

Sep 2, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #12,491 of 150,446
They don't know as they blew up their wattmeter testing it......   
basshead.gif

Sep 2, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #12,492 of 150,446

Since I performed this update, some pf my usb devices ate no longer recognized by W10. So please don't celebrate too soon.

Sep 2, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #12,493 of 150,446
Since I performed this update, some pf my usb devices ate no longer recognized by W10. So please don't celebrate too soon.

​I noticed a similar issue with Windows 10 Anniversary update. I have a Peachtree Decco 65 amp and the USB driver for that amp requires you to disable driver signature enforcement in Windows before installing it. (Major inconvenience - why Peachtree can't just release an updated driver is beyond me, but it is what it is.) Anyway, Windows 10 Anniversary lets you install the driver but doesn't load it after reboot. I suspect that the Anniversary update has a more aggressive driver checking/enforcement system at boot time. After all, bad drivers is one of the major attack vectors from a security perspective.

After reinstalling a couple of times I gave up and used a USB-SPDIF (coax) converter to feed the Peachtree.

Sep 2, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #12,494 of 150,446
very interesting essay, albeit a western-centric one.

As someone who was brought up in the east, hi-fi was/is a lot more pluralistic and non partisan as it is in the west.

Brands such as Luxman, Shindo, Ureshi never stopped making valve amplification, and analogue/vinyl might have declined in the mainstream market but was vibrant within the community, not as a clique within a clique that it was in the west.

"Mainstream" publications like Stereo Sound in Japan have always devoted at least 30% of each issue on "vintage" hi fi, alongside the FOTM.

Well, that's an interesting point, and the ideal response to that eastern interest would have been that the Japanese had taken that level of avocation towards generating a domestic industry of making highest quality audiophilic vacuum tubes on a par with their audio equipment design and widespread consumer passion.  Instead, however, we have a current situation where the main viable source of top quality audiophile tubes is the dwindling stock of 'NOS' western tubes (WE, RCA, Siemens, Mullard, Philips, etc.), manufactured during the heyday of vacuum tube technology. 

So now current tube manufacturers basically tout their tubes as successful clones of these earlier tube types at best, with the reality somewhat mixed and generally being something less, ± converging audiophile consumer opinion.  These contemporary manufacturers come from the lagging technology countries where these facilities still are operational (e.g. Eastern Europe, Russia, China), with the Czech ones at the consensus apex.  However, their tube costs are commensurate with what they feel the market will bear nowadays, and the others representing some degree of sonic compromise, regardless of cost. 

It's not a happy situation for current tube gear aficionados, what with contemporary open stock tubes of something less quality and a 'wild west' type scenario of spot market pricing, dubious 'NOS' status and/or legitimacy, unvetted sources, and finite diminishing stock of the older manufactured tubes driving pricing of all to disproportionately expensive and beyond.      

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #12,495 of 150,446
​I noticed a similar issue with Windows 10 Anniversary update. I have a Peachtree Decco 65 amp and the USB driver for that amp requires you to disable driver signature enforcement in Windows before installing it. (Major inconvenience - why Peachtree can't just release an updated driver is beyond me, but it is what it is.) Anyway, Windows 10 Anniversary lets you install the driver but doesn't load it after reboot. I suspect that the Anniversary update has a more aggressive driver checking/enforcement system at boot time. After all, bad drivers is one of the major attack vectors from a security perspective.

After reinstalling a couple of times I gave up and used a USB-SPDIF (coax) converter to feed the Peachtree.

I have a Peachtree X1 USB to coax converter, and after the Anniversary update, I had to uninstall the Peachtree driver and reinstall it. Uninstall, reboot, reinstall, reboot. The reboot after uninstalling is critical. Waste of time, I know. FWIW

And Peachtree, like many others, simply refuses to pay Windows and keep up with things for driver signature. Legally, they can't force Windows diver signature, but Microsoft makes it wonky on install like that.

Didn't Jason mention in one of his chapters what a PITA Windows Driver Signature really was?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back